Fallout 76: Wastelanders releasing soon

• Thread starter Thread starter TorontoReign
  • Start date Start date
Emil isn't terrible. His strength seems to be doing side quests or faction quests like the Dark Brotherhood.
I see people keep saying this and you're referring to Oblivion's questline right? That was... 15 years ago? Like, I love the Of The Dead trilogy but when George A Romero came back to create Land Of The Dead it was far too modernized and hollywoodized, following that was Diary Of The Dead which capitalized on the found footage formula being popular at the time and finally before he croaked Survival/Island Of The Dead which is amateurish at best.

GAR got it once, but after 20 years he came back to do the newer films and they pale in comparison to the older films.

So ok, Emil wrote the Dark Brotherhood questline which he gets a lot of... Thumbs up for, what has he written that is good in the past 15 years? (Fallout 3, Fallout 4 and Skyrim) Cause I quite frankly don't think people should hold Emil up at all for something he did 15 years ago as an example of him being good at writing. If he was good at writing then how come it's been shit the past 15 years? What would change in the future to actually put some fire under his ass to get serious?

Last edited:
It's been shit for 15 years because Zenimax doesn't want to admit Oblivion and Morrowind were the height of Bethesda Game Studios and honestly think Skyrim's endless fetch quests are the greatest thing ever.

Skyrim had some good side quests worth noting. Fallout 4 also had some good side quests worth noting. Fallout 3 additionally had side quests worth noting. But that's it. These games are playable solely because of the rare Emil-brand side quest. I say this knowing full well that appreciating anything Fallout 3/4 or Oblivion is going to make me substantially less liked around here.

Yes, we all now magically hate you for liking a thing.

Oblivion has some janky charm to it but it is not good. Morrowind was much better. I've heard Daggerfall was pretty good but I don't know if I give enough of a shit about TES anymore.

I love Oblivion, it's got its issues but it's a good time and that's all I need.

Morrowind was okay, but I found some of the main quest more grating than Skyrim. If the Tribunal needs Dunmeri faith, why not nominate actual priests who can perform proper miracles? Surely you can afford to give people some of your power so they can spread your faith and make you stronger. Additionally, the Ghostfence being entirely unattended is the dumbest thing I've ever seen. You know Dagoth Ur; the leader of the House Unmourned, the man who's giving everyone crazy freaky nightmares, the dick stealing your power, the one responsible for corpus; lies in that fence and is creating some crazy shit. And you don't order your clergy to do anything except jerk off to Imperial chicks and beat Argonians? Okay then.

Daggerfall is good shit. Unplayable without mods (literally. You can't beat the game due to a game breaking bug)

So ok, Emil wrote the Dark Brotherhood questline which he gets a lot of... Thumbs up for, what has he written that is good in the past 15 years? (Fallout 3, Fallout 4 and Skyrim) Cause I quite frankly don't think people should hold Emil up at all for something he did 15 years ago as an example of him being good at writing. If he was good at writing then how come it's been shit the past 15 years? What would change in the future to actually put some fire under his ass to get serious?
And even then, the Dark Brotherhood questline in Oblivion is just good in the game in its in because the majority of the quests in Oblivion are unadultered garbage (tons of crappy fetch quests). In a RPG with far better written quests, something on the level of the Oblivion's Dark Brotherhood questline would be an average at best questline.

If anything, i'd say the Dark Brotherhood questline in Oblivion was a complete fluke and Emil is an incompetent writer that very rarely doesn't write inept shit.

Last edited:
I say this knowing full well that appreciating anything Fallout 3/4 or Oblivion is going to make me substantially less liked around here.

maxresdefault.jpg

You're not gonna get hated for liking something. The disdain will start to grow if you start saying stupid shit. But even people who are into Fallout 1/2 say stupid shit, so it's not a one-sided issue.

Out of curiosity, could you list the quests you did find enjoyable?

The disdain will start to grow if you start saying stupid shit
This is what people don't get. If you come in here pissed off that people dislike Fallout 3 and 4, people will react negatively when you start trying to make unsound arguments about why it's better. No one will shit on you, in a serious manner, for enjoying something on that alone. It'll take you saying things like, "New Vegas was shit cuz I like DC and it was grimdark atmosphere in 3 and karma and blahblahblah."

Out of curiosity, could you list the quests you did find enjoyable?

That painting quest where you had to fight the paint trolls because the artist used a brush made with Dibella's hair

The Siege On Kvatch

Dark Brotherhood Questline. While everyone says that, I say it because I feel it exemplified what the Brotherhood would be in reality: A profiteering cult of murderers who stab people that wronged others. You start with a rapist, a pirate lord, and a retired... Well, a retired elf. But him being elven is enough cause >:(

If I can cite DLC, The Shivering Isles main line and the Knights of the Nine line

The Seperated At Birth quest was fun. There was also the quest where you had to help the boys reclaim their father's ranch from ogres.

I really like smaller things rather than big grand quests. Things like repelling ranches from ogres or reuniting lost siblings is more fun than the entire Shivering Isles to me simply because of the reaction. They thanked me and we went along our day, as happens in real life. (I'm not good at explaining things or speaking in general, sorry if I'm incoherent)

That painting quest where you had to fight the paint trolls because the artist used a brush made with Dibella's hair

The Siege On Kvatch

Dark Brotherhood Questline. While everyone says that, I say it because I feel it exemplified what the Brotherhood would be in reality: A profiteering cult of murderers who stab people that wronged others. You start with a rapist, a pirate lord, and a retired... Well, a retired elf. But him being elven is enough cause >:(

If I can cite DLC, The Shivering Isles main line and the Knights of the Nine line

The Seperated At Birth quest was fun. There was also the quest where you had to help the boys reclaim their father's ranch from ogres.

I really like smaller things rather than big grand quests. Things like repelling ranches from ogres or reuniting lost siblings is more fun than the entire Shivering Isles to me simply because of the reaction. They thanked me and we went along our day, as happens in real life. (I'm not good at explaining things or speaking in general, sorry if I'm incoherent)

I enjoyed the first half of the Mages Guild quests. Those were pretty low key, as well. I don't know that anything in Oblivion was especially well written, but it had a goofiness to it that made it enjoyable. The guild quests were certainly better than Skyrim's guild quests.

Maybe the worst part about it to me is that, moving from one game to the next, their writing is formulaic at best, regressive at worst. You would think they would get better at it over time, but it seems to be the opposite. And they have quite clearly decided that they aren't interested in that side of their games anymore.

I would have beaten the Mage's Guild more often if I could find magic interesting before I unlocked mixing and matching spell effects.

I would have beaten the Mage's Guild more often if I could find magic interesting before I unlocked mixing and matching spell effects.

They've really gone out of their way to make magic boring, though Oblivion did at least have a few spells and effects that were fun to play around with.

I really enjoyed Oblivion's magic once you got the ability to mix and match. My favorite spell was called Rust Devil, it disintegrated armor and weapons by 50% and lowered blade and blunt by 20 points. Best spell in the arena

I really enjoyed Oblivion's magic once you got the ability to mix and match. My favorite spell was called Rust Devil, it disintegrated armor and weapons by 50% and lowered blade and blunt by 20 points. Best spell in the arena

Yeah, spell crafting was crazy and weird. One of many things that I was annoyed that they removed from the series. Enchanting was similarly bonkers in Oblivion, being able to craft an armor set that gave you 100% chameleon, making you invisible all the time. I liked the early game's total lack of awareness of the concept of balance.

Part of what I loved about that is that's how magic items would be! Balance means nothing to magic, just look at D&D

It looks fun with classic Fallout weapons that I wish Bethesda should've brought a long time ago and dialogue options look much better than Fallout 4, but I'm still hesitant to buy this game because of many reasons.

Back