Fallout: Bakersfield: red888guns teasing again

Hassknecht

For hate's sake.
Staff member
Admin
Board Cop oTO
Orderite
We all know Alexander Berezin (red888guns) by now for his awesome Fallout-inspired artworks. Most are 2D, although he did sneak some "Fallout 3D" clip in some years ago. Now, in honor of the 25th anniversary of Fallout he did a short clip called "Fallout: Bakersfield" depicting Necropolis if it was a Doom mod.

Calling it "teaser" and apparently actually having done it in GZDoom might hint it becoming an actual game some day...
Don't get your hopes up.

Heh, ahead of me Hassknecht, I saw this video this morning while browsing Youtube.
I was planning to write an article for NMA but I kind of forgot and I also had to deliver flyers.

I think this is inspired by that fake Fallout 3D screenshot from years ago.

Heh, ahead of me Hassknecht, I saw this video this morning while browsing Youtube.
I was planning to write an article for NMA but I kind of forgot and I also had to deliver flyers.

I think this is inspired by that fake Fallout 3D screenshot from years ago.

This one?
Same guy.

Glad someone went ahead and made it news. It looks great. I knew stuff like this was coming when Ashes was made. Well I hoped it was coming anyway.

Possibly I see the maker perhaps recreating Necropolis as a playable level but I doubt we will see Fallout 1 completely recreated this way.

Nah and we should not want that anyway because we want something to be released not stay in concept phase for 10 years.

If I recall correctly this is just a side project for the maker as he is also working on that retro future RPG for New Blood.

It reminds me a bit of the Shadows of Apocalypse project that had a recreation of the Hub in it.

Seems like a dead project, though.

I think they used that for ashes or something. Nothing is ever dead when you can steal.

Really hope it turns into a GZDoom mod. No need for a recreation, but a gameplay/asset mod and a map pack would be amazing. Best case scenario, an original campaign, Ashes style.

It is a Gzdoom mod it is just a matter on when they will release it.

Can't say I wouldn't, either.
Red888guns is also now working for or with New Blood, who sure have some experience with making good boomer shooters, on a very Fallout-esque game.
Yo, @El Oshcuro, get this man some funding so he can do a Fallout boomer shooter on GzDoom!
Wait, I forgot that you hate money. Dang :D

Revisiting these videos has me thinking about what I got from Fallout that I don't from other post-apocalyptic titles, but it's hard to describe. It has this unique, pseudo-gothic vibe, like the buildings aren't just destroyed houses and offices, but temples of a lost civilization. Sometimes literally, but always figuratively. It's in the architecture, the color palette, the sound design, etc. Hard to describe, but the soundtrack is probably the easiest thing to point at. It sounds like what I would expect to hear walking through a world that's one big graveyard.

I don't get the same vibe from Wasteland, Ashes, new Fallout, or anything else I can think of right now. [Maybe EYE: Divine Cybermancy, but that's a whole other thing]

Now I kind of feel that the team didn't try its best even though Ashes is its own thing.

I mean I wasn't implying anything negative about Ashes. It definitely is its own thing, with its own aesthetic. Some overlap in influences with Fallout, but diverges a lot, too, which is good.

I mean I wasn't implying anything negative about Ashes. It definitely is its own thing, with its own aesthetic. Some overlap in influences with Fallout, but diverges a lot, too, which is good.

I did not get that idea from you, and Ashes should definitely not try to be Fallout or classic Fallout at least.

I have been thinking about what could be done with the assets of Fallout Bakersfield should it get released. Will there also be civilians in it, or characters wearing the various types of armor.
Will the backgrounds and objects of places like Vaults or Brotherhood military bunker style also appear in it that could perhaps be used for other map packs.
Without red888guns it would be difficult to add new objects and monsters that really feel that they fit in.
Possibly a little mini campaign that could bring in some of the quest design from Ashes Afterglow.

Back