Fallout 2 mod Fallout: Nevada (extended)

Hello guys! I hope everyone is okay! Right now I want to play again, because now I have time. but for some reason the installation is not enabling high resolution.
No error appears in the installation, when I put the values in the executable Nevada_Res_Config.exe, it simply does not change anything, the game opens in the default resolution.
I am using this latest version 2.0.3.3
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can try to resolve this?

My system:
Windows 10 Home Single Language Edition
Version 21H2
OS build 19044.2251

CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9300H @ 2.40GHz 2.40GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650

Hello guys! I hope everyone is okay! Right now I want to play again, because now I have time. but for some reason the installation is not enabling high resolution.
No error appears in the installation, when I put the values in the executable Nevada_Res_Config.exe, it simply does not change anything, the game opens in the default resolution.
I am using this latest version 2.0.3.3
Does anyone have any ideas on how I can try to resolve this?

My system:
Windows 10 Home Single Language Edition
Version 21H2
OS build 19044.2251

CPU Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9300H @ 2.40GHz 2.40GHz
Installed RAM 16.0 GB (15.9 GB usable)
System type 64-bit operating system, x64-based processor
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650

Hi..
First off try to update your windows 10 If possible, the update to 22H2 has been released in October. This is important since 21H2 looses support around July 2023 (18 months after release ( which was december 2021).

as for Your problem regarding the resolution, first I need to know what ddraw.dll version do you have? is it 4.3.0.2 or newer?

I'm asking since newer versions of ddraw.dll have separate high resolution patch and using it disables the old high resolution patch.

If You're using the old resolution patch then open a file called f2_res.ini and edit the resolution width and height to your desire but not biger than your windows settings.
If You're using ddraw.dll that's newer than 4.3.0.2 than chances are you've enabled the built in high resolution patch. the resolution settings for that HRP are in ddraw.ini ( remember to set graphic mode to 4 or 6 in order to use it) resolution settings for new resolution patch are in [Graphics] section of ddraw.ini

Hi..
First off try to update your windows 10 If possible, the update to 22H2 has been released in October. This is important since 21H2 looses support around July 2023 (18 months after release ( which was december 2021).

as for Your problem regarding the resolution, first I need to know what ddraw.dll version do you have? is it 4.3.0.2 or newer?

I'm asking since newer versions of ddraw.dll have separate high resolution patch and using it disables the old high resolution patch.

If You're using the old resolution patch then open a file called f2_res.ini and edit the resolution width and height to your desire but not biger than your windows settings.
If You're using ddraw.dll that's newer than 4.3.0.2 than chances are you've enabled the built in high resolution patch. the resolution settings for that HRP are in ddraw.ini ( remember to set graphic mode to 4 or 6 in order to use it) resolution settings for new resolution patch are in [Graphics] section of ddraw.ini

The setup files are those in the image, but I don't know which of the resolution files is being used.
upload_2022-12-9_18-26-40.png
upload_2022-12-9_18-29-52.png
upload_2022-12-9_18-30-57.png

if i use this configuration at sFall Configuration.exe, the game opens in this resolution, but not HD.
upload_2022-12-9_18-35-44.png

upload_2022-12-9_18-37-13.png

Just keep in mind the game doesn't actually look any better at high resolution, unlike newer games. Everything just gets smaller.

The setup files are those in the image, but I don't know which of the resolution files is being used.View attachment 26364 View attachment 26365 View attachment 26366

if i use this configuration at sFall Configuration.exe, the game opens in this resolution, but not HD.
View attachment 26367
View attachment 26368

ok You're still on 4.3.0.2 so You rely on old HRP.
I see You're using sfall configurator. Don't use this it modifies ddraw.ini . Sfall 4.3.0.2 does not have High resolution patch, just a simple upscaler. Setting resolution here won't do you much. set it back both values to 0, and edit f2_res.ini:
set GRAPHICS_MODE=2
set SCR_WIDTH= to whatever width you want ( not bigger than your screen)
set SCR_HEIGHT= to whatever you want (not bigger than your screen)
other features are explained.
BTW on the contrary to what the files say you *can* have both DirectX9 mode set in High resolution patch (f2_res.ini and in sfall ddraw.ini) at the same time.
it only slows down if you have a potato or improper settings ( like only using single processor core which is ridiculously stupid BTW).

do not use sfall configurator.. actually my PC autodeletes sfall configurator if i use it, since it triggers my antivirus like most of stuff from Mr.Stalin does..
most of the settings in ddraw.ini and f2_res.ini are explained and there is really little to no reason to not go over them and set what you like, You'll likely leave stuff you don't understand untouched, but there are things you want to set yourself for example SingleCore=0.

Also Be advised if upping the resolution too high you may encounter slow scrolling due to limited graphics cache ( default is 5MB) go to Nevada.cfg and change the value of:
art_cache_size=
to 261 ( just change the number after = sign to 261) that is if your systemcan handle that ( i.e. having at least 8GB ram on a 64 bit system) or 4GB of ram on 32bit system.
If you have a modern dedicated card like amd or nvidia try using GPU for palette conversion. this significantly improoves game display fluency.

Oh Yeah it looks like your sfall configurator didn't do shit I see on the screenshot you still use Graphics mode=0 on ddraw.ini ( You should change this to 4 or 6 for windowed) and graphics setting remain default. so either sfall configurator is a piece of garbage *or* You've messed up and installed to C:\Program FIles *or* C:\Program Files (x86). You don't do that with classic Fallout games beyond windows XP. Since windows Vista Microsoft has taken security measures fot the system that are a pain in the butt for sfall and the resolution patch. If You did made this mistake, install the game elsewhere C:\Games or on another drive letter totally if You have one.

And Yeah don't Listen to fellow Lenny over here, He doesn't know what he's talking about. The game does look better in higher resolution. it's a bit zoomed out but at least it ain't a pixelmaze.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about finally playing this for the first time. But due to my habits that die hard, I can't just play Fallout like a normal person, I have to constantly fix game balance issues. So I want to be prepared for what I'm getting in to:

- How long is the latest version of game, compared to EtTu and FO2: RP? (amount of quests, combat encounters etc.)
- What kind of skill balance does it have? Which skills are useless in this game?
- Is there an early slow start in terms of combat & equipment, like in FO2? (start with melee only or very weak guns, etc.)
- How bullet spongy are enemies? Closer to FO2 or FO1?
- How much free ammo and meds is there in a typical playthrough that doesn't avoid combat? Do you ever need to buy ammo or meds?
- How much new weapons and ammo types is there (compared to FO2)?

And another question for people who played both original Russian and translated English versions - which one is better in your opinion?

ok You're still on 4.3.0.2 so You rely on old HRP.
I see You're using sfall configurator. Don't use this it modifies ddraw.ini . Sfall 4.3.0.2 does not have High resolution patch, just a simple upscaler. Setting resolution here won't do you much. set it back both values to 0, and edit f2_res.ini:
set GRAPHICS_MODE=2
set SCR_WIDTH= to whatever width you want ( not bigger than your screen)
set SCR_HEIGHT= to whatever you want (not bigger than your screen)
other features are explained.
BTW on the contrary to what the files say you *can* have both DirectX9 mode set in High resolution patch (f2_res.ini and in sfall ddraw.ini) at the same time.
it only slows down if you have a potato or improper settings ( like only using single processor core which is ridiculously stupid BTW).

do not use sfall configurator.. actually my PC autodeletes sfall configurator if i use it, since it triggers my antivirus like most of stuff from Mr.Stalin does..
most of the settings in ddraw.ini and f2_res.ini are explained and there is really little to no reason to not go over them and set what you like, You'll likely leave stuff you don't understand untouched, but there are things you want to set yourself for example SingleCore=0.

Also Be advised if upping the resolution too high you may encounter slow scrolling due to limited graphics cache ( default is 5MB) go to Nevada.cfg and change the value of:
art_cache_size=
to 261 ( just change the number after = sign to 261) that is if your systemcan handle that ( i.e. having at least 8GB ram on a 64 bit system) or 4GB of ram on 32bit system.
If you have a modern dedicated card like amd or nvidia try using GPU for palette conversion. this significantly improoves game display fluency.

Oh Yeah it looks like your sfall configurator didn't do shit I see on the screenshot you still use Graphics mode=0 on ddraw.ini ( You should change this to 4 or 6 for windowed) and graphics setting remain default. so either sfall configurator is a piece of garbage *or* You've messed up and installed to C:\Program FIles *or* C:\Program Files (x86). You don't do that with classic Fallout games beyond windows XP. Since windows Vista Microsoft has taken security measures fot the system that are a pain in the butt for sfall and the resolution patch. If You did made this mistake, install the game elsewhere C:\Games or on another drive letter totally if You have one.

And Yeah don't Listen to fellow Lenny over here, He doesn't know what he's talking about. The game does look better in higher resolution. it's a bit zoomed out but at least it ain't a pixelmaze.

the path of my installation folder is this:
C:\GOG Games\Fallout 2\Nevada Mod (Extended)

The values you said to put, when I try to open the game this error appears:
upload_2022-12-10_15-16-36.png

upload_2022-12-10_15-7-35.png

upload_2022-12-10_15-14-11.png

- How long is the latest version of game, compared to EtTu and FO2: RP? (amount of quests, combat encounters etc.)

Comparable to FO2:RP. You will be spending a lot of time in the area around the first big city (which also has some smaller villages and abandoned base in the same area) only to discover there's one more town and 2 bigger cities (they're smaller than the first one though).

There're a lot of quests, but also smaller interactions like teaching a kid algebra, taking a homeless guy for a lunch and finding him a job etc.

- What kind of skill balance does it have? Which skills are useless in this game?

Nevada pulls it off great as every skill is at least partially useful.
Even Gambling has a few quest solutions.

- Is there an early slow start in terms of combat & equipment, like in FO2? (start with melee only or very weak guns, etc.)

You start with a 9mm pistol, but it can be upgraded. Through some early quests you can get a civilian laser pistol, a revolver with shorter range and smaller damage than a standard Magnum and SMG.
In the first city you get access to a shop where you can get rifles/ shotguns.
If you get a metal detector you can also find some OK guns/ melee/ unarmed weapons.

- How bullet spongy are enemies? Closer to FO2 or FO1?

Aside from the end not very spongy. The final boss is The Ultimate Bullet Sponge.

- How much free ammo and meds is there in a typical playthrough that doesn't avoid combat? Do you ever need to buy ammo or meds?

You can get an ammo bench at one point, before that you'll be running dry if you use something like .44 on basic bandits (most of them have 10mm).
I did not use much meds, but Nevada has food speed up your health recovery and heal you a bit, so I've used that mostly.

- How much new weapons and ammo types is there (compared to FO2)?

A lot, mostly guns. You also have a few new knives and machetes, couple unique unarmed weapons you can find/ craft, civilian energy weapons. I don't remember any new heavy weapons, but there is a new rocket type.

Most of new guns have new ammo types, but they do not have different variants like AP or HP.

the path of my installation folder is this:
C:\GOG Games\Fallout 2\Nevada Mod (Extended)

The values you said to put, when I try to open the game this error appears:
View attachment 26371
View attachment 26369
View attachment 26370

does Your monitor support 1600x900 resolution? if so try to set the same in ddraw.ini . oh and yeah no support for 8 bit pixels in Dx9 so switch to 32 bit pixels more color depth is not a bad thing.. and yes i did notice you've switched it from 16 bit to 8 bit from previous screenshot :p

does Your monitor support 1600x900 resolution? if so try to set the same in ddraw.ini . oh and yeah no support for 8 bit pixels in Dx9 so switch to 32 bit pixels more color depth is not a bad thing.. and yes i did notice you've switched it from 16 bit to 8 bit from previous screenshot :p

I tried these values, the error remains the same.
If I put GPUBlt=2 to not use the GPU, the error disappears, but the values that are in f2_res.ini, no matter what I change there, they simply don't take effect.
upload_2022-12-10_17-33-56.png

upload_2022-12-10_17-30-55.png

upload_2022-12-10_17-31-6.png

for the f2res.ini not working, perhaps You've got the high res patch disabled somehow.. which executable are you using Nevada.exe or NevadaHD.exe?
only NevadaHD.exe is patched to use the high resolution patch.

as for the GPUBlt=1 not working
are you by chance on a laptop computer? If so, then you must set in nvidia settings in control panel to use nvidia GPU for NevadaHD.exe . Perhaps Your integrated intel GPU does not have pixel shader 2.0 support which is mandatory here, Hence why the need to force the nvidia driver so that laptop uses the nvidia GPU.

for the f2res.ini not working, perhaps You've got the high res patch disabled somehow.. which executable are you using Nevada.exe or NevadaHD.exe?
only NevadaHD.exe is patched to use the high resolution patch.

as for the GPUBlt=1 not working
are you by chance on a laptop computer? If so, then you must set in nvidia settings in control panel to use nvidia GPU for NevadaHD.exe . Perhaps Your integrated intel GPU does not have pixel shader 2.0 support which is mandatory here, Hence why the need to force the nvidia driver so that laptop uses the nvidia GPU.

Yes, i'm using NevadaHD.exe and it's a notebook ASUS X571GT.
Forcing Nvidia to use with NevadaHD.exe appears same error.
I have installed Fallout 2 Restoration Project and dont have any issue with resolution...
upload_2022-12-10_18-28-18.png

You'd have to check if HRP is enabled in NevadaHD.exe then.

rename NevadaHD.exe to Fallout2.exe and run Nevada_Res_Config.exe. if it says "High resolution patch enabled" and you have ony "Disable" button than it's ok

If it only has "Enable" button than click the "Enable" button. it should change to "Disable" button and say the HRP patch is enabled. You can set basic stuff in there too like the resolution bit depth etc.

Rename the game executable back to NevadaHD.exe

When you run NevadaHD.exe after HRP patch is enabled, and get a warning message which gives the options Yes/No than it means You've updateed sfall to a newer one and haven't updated the ddraw.ini properly. Newer versions of sfall come with High resolution patch of their own, and require additional line parameter to be set ingame.

Actually for Sfall Extended "sfall5" the old HRP is not compatible anymore, and You should only use the HRP built in to newer sfall5.
to check which version you use click proerties on ddraw.dll and click the details tab.

Edit:
Just noticed that You don't have Dx9 dependancy libraries in the game folder. did You at least installed them onto your system if You don't have them in the game folder?

Last edited:
You'd have to check if HRP is enabled in NevadaHD.exe then.

rename NevadaHD.exe to Fallout2.exe and run Nevada_Res_Config.exe. if it says "High resolution patch enabled" and you have ony "Disable" button than it's ok

If it only has "Enable" button than click the "Enable" button. it should change to "Disable" button and say the HRP patch is enabled. You can set basic stuff in there too like the resolution bit depth etc.

Rename the game executable back to NevadaHD.exe

When you run NevadaHD.exe after HRP patch is enabled, and get a warning message which gives the options Yes/No than it means You've updateed sfall to a newer one and haven't updated the ddraw.ini properly. Newer versions of sfall come with High resolution patch of their own, and require additional line parameter to be set ingame.

Actually for Sfall Extended "sfall5" the old HRP is not compatible anymore, and You should only use the HRP built in to newer sfall5.
to check which version you use click proerties on ddraw.dll and click the details tab.

Edit:
Just noticed that You don't have Dx9 dependancy libraries in the game folder. did You at least installed them onto your system if You don't have them in the game folder?

I checked:
upload_2022-12-10_21-25-49.png

upload_2022-12-10_21-26-21.png

I tried to install Fallout Resurrection to test it and I also had the same problem. The executable to configure the resolution, you can put any configuration that doesn't change anything.
For some reason the f2_res.ini file is being ignored.
The only one that worked was only Fallout 2 RP.

So it's either that You've haven't installed DirectX 9.0c runtime from microsoft, or it's just a the case of Your system ( a.k.a. single language edition as You've stated) perhaps it has some features cut out, or it's your antivirus that is blocking things.. who knows. anyways I'm out of options, and have no further ideas what to suggest. It works for Me. The only help i can give You is to pass my config files to You, if You want them, that is.

So it's either that You've haven't installed DirectX 9.0c runtime from microsoft, or it's just a the case of Your system ( a.k.a. single language edition as You've stated) perhaps it has some features cut out, or it's your antivirus that is blocking things.. who knows. anyways I'm out of options, and have no further ideas what to suggest. It works for Me. The only help i can give You is to pass my config files to You, if You want them, that is.

Thank you very much! The problem was that it needed the direct x9 files. I copied these files that I had in the fallout RP installation to the Nevada folder and it worked!! About installing Fallout Resurrection this also solved my problem!

upload_2022-12-11_1-16-35.png

upload_2022-12-11_1-16-50.png

upload_2022-12-11_1-17-6.png

upload_2022-12-11_1-29-3.png

Attachments

• upload_2022-12-11_1-28-15.png
    upload_2022-12-11_1-28-15.png
    2 MB · Views: 148
The game is very skill dependent and you'll hit a lot of skill walls. I'm level 24 and there's still several things I can't accomplish because my character doesn't have the skill necessary for that task.

Thank you very much! The problem was that it needed the direct x9 files. I copied these files that I had in the fallout RP installation to the Nevada folder and it worked!! About installing Fallout Resurrection this also solved my problem!

View attachment 26385

View attachment 26386

View attachment 26387

View attachment 26389

Just informationly..
Look the fact that You have DirectX 12 with your windows 10/11 doesn't mean You've got DirectX 11 ;9;8.1;8 and earlier installed.. on the contrary windows 10/11 does not have theese libraries installed natively. You need to download them separately and install them to your system. ( putting certain libraries to game folder is only a workaround and may not nessecarily work for other old games.) simply put google search DirectX_web_setup and go to microsoft download center link to download it. when you run it, it will download and install all previous directX libraries and integrate them with windows, so that You'll have this headache out of the way..

Similarily other games made for windows may rquire VC++ Libraries. there were tons of them released since like 2005 for both x86 and x64 bit systems. this is best downoladed from techpowerup. the package is called VC++ all in one. simply unpack and run the setup.bat . proceed with the commands in the command prompt and You'll quickly have them installed too. easy peasy.

Both Dx runtime libraries *and* VC++ libraries usually solve shitton of headaches with software not running, so better be aware of that. just my 2 cents.
/old geezer rambling

Oh yeah, almost forgot..
I'm glad I was able to help :)

Last edited:
Oh yeah, almost forgot..
I'm glad I was able to help :)

Yes thank you for all your help so far.

Now I've beat the game and I'd like to do another play through, but I'd like to do it my way. Have a bit of a custom character. Do you happen to know which file to edit, and what to look for, when it comes to editing your character's stats?

Say you wanted to add 3 more points to luck, and you wanted to set your doctor skill to maximum. Right from the beginning of the game. Is there a file where these stats can be changed once the character was created?

Thank you

Well.. editing one of the pre-made characters, or the default is possible if you really want it.. but there are better ways than screwing around with dat explorer..

You see the best option for you would be to make a character in the character creation scene, and save it to a file ( there's an "options button for a menu to save/load a custom character file. just create one in character creation screen, and save it. After You save it, you quit the character creator and the game. Next go to your game folder, open data folder, and there should be your character file (<Yourname>.CGD) or something like that, you may hex edit it with a hex editor of your preference, google for the offsets.. oh yeah some of our guys also made a character file creator, but nothing beyond special and skill points could be specified set there.

in hex editor you could actually set Your character to start with sneak mode on, and have it on until you disable it ( you start sneaked even in random encounters this way).
special up to 10, skills up to 500% ( the game reads it but still displays 300% as max), set damage and resistance thresholds up to maximum 100/90% and up to 100/500% for EMP damage allowed by engine for all damage types, set all four of your tagged skills ( resets to three if you change them in the character creation screen in game, so be sure to set them right in hex editor), age can be set beyond char creator limit of 35 years.. actually you can pretend to be a ghoul and set this number beyond 100 years and the game won't care one bit). the rest ( secondary stats) resets back to default acording to formulae calculations after creating a game ( things as crippled limbs, HP,AC, Crit Chance,etc.) only damage thresholds and resistances can be set, but thhat kind of defeats the purpose of wearing armor, and there you have it..

Back