Fallout: New California Trailer And Other Irradiated News

• Thread starter Thread starter TorontoReign
  • Start date Start date
Fallout miami looks like it's going to be really shitty. Apparently it's going to have the enclave and this stupid pirate theme faction for no reason. This is something Bethesda would come up with.

So Fallout meets Monkey Island. Just what we needed.

Yeah I heard about the Enclave appearing in Fallout Miami. This is why I in general think most writers and designers on fan mods are terrible creators, often they lack imagination or are the terrible type of fan boy "Fallout is all about BOS, Enclave, and Super Mutants. Star Trek is all about Kirk, Spock, Klingons, Khan. Star Wars is about Jedi, Sith, Empire."

I used to be like that on a certain age, then I grew out of it by reading, watching, and playing non related stuff and looking into what inspired the original creators first on these franchises rather than trying to imitate them.
I much rather want to come into contact with the same source they tapped inspiration from.

So Fallout meets Monkey Island. Just what we needed.
Many modders always seem to think and write like bethesda. Why is there a pirate faction in a post-apocalyptic wasteland? "Because lol, ain't that just so goofy and wacky." And somehow I see tons of people in the comments saying that this better than anything bethesda has writtien. How is this better?

How is this better?
It's not. I had a slight hope someone could make something interesting but they're doing the same goofy stuff as Bethesda would. Near a tropical area? Pirates! Somewhere snowy? Viking themed raiders! It's that sort of corny line of thinking this falls in obviously.

It's not. I had a slight hope someone could make something interesting but they're doing the same goofy stuff as Bethesda would. Near a tropical area? Pirates! Somewhere snowy? Viking themed raiders! It's that sort of corny line of thinking this falls in obviously.
What makes this worse is that everytime I criticize this corny line of thinking and bethesda's shit writing people will always bring up caesar legion. Then people will say that fallout has always been goofy and wacky. I hate how bethesda ruin the image of fallout.

Caesar Legion (ancient Rome), Khans (mongols), Kings (Elvis), Chairmen (rat pack), Omertas (mobs) are completely difference.

they can not even see the difference?

Caesar adopted the Legion way and decided to dress like them to cement this. It wasn't "lel, Roman Empire is so funneh" bullshit.

I believe the reason for all the big mods for NV, 4, etc. to be like this is because these games (less so NV) tend to attract a different sort of audience with different interests than the turn-based classics do.

And although the pirate thing does sound dumb to me, it could be well-executed if done right, I suppose. The Kings do sound like an equally silly idea in concept, but they aren't very distracting or silly in practice.

The Kings do fall into that to be fair but they aren't some major faction. They have a role in Freeside and in some quests. They aren't something you HAVE to deal with I don't think at any point technically. They aren't roving raiders that attack you, they have a purpose beyond the aesthetic they take on too. They have values and motives that aren't directly tied to impersonating Elvis or being like Elvis. They have a decent reason for also being that way. Some guy saw that so many people dressed up like this guy pre-war and he did it too and started a gang and not just a bunch of raiders. A gang, like those meant to protect communities even if it's against the law.

Pirates wouldn't make much sense unless it was people who found a museum full of pirate stuff and decided to dress up like it and watched videos left over there and mimic'd the style.

I believe the reason for all the big mods for NV, 4, etc. to be like this is because these games (less so NV) tend to attract a different sort of audience with different interests than the turn-based classics do.

And although the pirate thing does sound dumb to me, it could be well-executed if done right, I suppose. The Kings do sound like an equally silly idea in concept, but they aren't very distracting or silly in practice.

Sure. I agree with you.

But then you look at the concept art and there is a guy with a matchlock musket. But a laser one because.....Fallout have energy weapons?

This is the same thing that Bethesda made with the minutemen. They are boring, but they are not unreal. The exception is that laser musket.

And the parrot (but a irradiated one)? No.

The Kings do fall into that to be fair but they aren't some major faction. They have a role in Freeside and in some quests. They aren't something you HAVE to deal with I don't think at any point technically. They aren't roving raiders that attack you, they have a purpose beyond the aesthetic they take on too. They have values and motives that aren't directly tied to impersonating Elvis or being like Elvis. They have a decent reason for also being that way. Some guy saw that so many people dressed up like this guy pre-war and he did it too and started a gang and not just a bunch of raiders. A gang, like those meant to protect communities even if it's against the law.

Pirates wouldn't make much sense unless it was people who found a museum full of pirate stuff and decided to dress up like it and watched videos left over there and mimic'd the style.
I agree with you that the pirates don't make much sense and seem pretty silly, but based off the impression I got from the video, they appear to be a minor faction like the Kings. They aren't going to be a major faction like... I think the major factions were some biker wasteland justice gang, the Enclave, and like one or two other factions that I remember nothing about.

Or if the pirates were just ocean-based raiders. Y'know, like real pirates.

That would be a major improvement to be honest. I'd rather them be ACTUAL pirates that aren't just cannon fodder for the player that are wearing silly pirate garb.

Well perhaps more like pirates who attack settlements near coasts and then rapidly retreat to sea.
But who am I kidding.

Back