Fallout Shelter Online

• Thread starter Thread starter TorontoReign
  • Start date Start date
Fallout Shelter is just a silly mobile game that doesn't take itself too serious and don't pretend to be part of the main series.

If it was up to me, Shanda can overhaul it all they want, as long as they make it more fun. Fallout Shelter at the moment is quite boring, even after the exploration quests were implemented, the game is still boring after a little while.

Last edited:
Fallout Shelter is just a silly a mobile game that doesn't take itself too serious and don't pretend to be part of the main series.

If it was up to me, Shanda can overhaul it all they want, as long as they make it more fun. Fallout Shelter at the moment is quite boring, even after the exploration quests were implemented, the game is still boring after a little while.
too boring and .. while the tutorial said that there's 'winning criteria'. googling it doesn't even shown how... (beyond that the first criteron is that player has a minimum of 80 dwellers. I don't know about the rest of it but did it involves the need of completing the VDSG book?)

I have no idea.

I only played Shelter twice. Once when it was released on PC and a second time when the exploration quests were implemented. Both times I didn't last more than a couple hours. I got bored as hell and uninstalled it right away.

can you kill chinese communist insurgents in this? or chinese sleeper cells that's been left in America since the war?

I recall many flashing adverts for FO4 on Chinese websites and other places that also used imagery reminiscent of FO1-2 and lots of love for those games as well. I do not have proof on hand so you will have to take me at my word. Fallout however, is substantially huge in Russia, Classic Fallout especially, and specifically. Just from cultural osmosis and the evidence I've seen, it should be similar in China.

Let me make an argument. Fallout is a concept, and it's what you make of it. You as a consumer entirely have the choice to look away and simply pretend these new inclusions either don't exist or don't exist in your view of the franchise, in comparison to far more real incidents where rape would be more appropriate as a comparison than for a video game. You have your memories of the original games, the original experiences still exist. I remember playing Arcanum and loving it more than any cRPG I've ever played before. If just tomorrow, there was an "arcanum sequel" with FPS mechanics and loot boxes and such, and was nothing like the original, I wouldn't say it was "raping" the series, unless there was literally a poor woman involved in some horrific viral marketing campaign. The original still exists, 'unmolested'. Sequels are just additions, and the Bethesda Fallout games almost never touch the original canon. I would say it's far from "Raped", and I wouldn't use that term lightly, either, just for optics purposes.

On an aside about why I pointed out that phrase specifically though, is that I wanted to talk about this rhetoric and a little theory it reminded me of: I read through old Pete Hines emails from about 2002 or so around the release of Morrowind and remember him going off on a tangent at a bunch of people who posted on the BGS forums about Morrowind's lack of werewolves and other things, and also claimed that the series was "raped", and Pete got very angry about this, calling them crazy and deranged, with little respect for women. I imagine they barely considered those people in designing Oblivion based on just Pete's reaction. Now, that was in the early 2000's -- Imagine how sensitive Bethesda must be now, and imagine how they might've reacted to some of the craziness that happened pre/post-FO3's release, not to mention the legitimate rape threats sent to some of their devs, and that one thread from Duck and Cover that was deleted that actually was defending these threats as justified.

Besides just ignoring the criticism of old fans just based on the merit they might be a minority, they have all the excuses they want to ignore them just based on their rhetoric, and at that, the rhetoric of a few *radicals*. But it's still an excuse, unfortunately, to just throw out everything the cRPG community says about them or their games as just a bunch of "deranged psychos that take games more seriously than sexual assault". Definitely not the case... But as a pampered and sheltered-with-red-tape BGS employee, would it be that obvious that the old fans aren't just crazy, based on these events and assumptions?

I don't disagree with any of this. I was just being comically melodramatic for its own sake. Wasn't trying to be offensive (perhaps I did it without trying), and I wouldn't turn around and use that word as a threat. Though I'm unfortunately not surprised that people have done so in the past. And I'm sorry if I offended anyone here personally.

I have already firmly compartmentalized the original games from Bethesda's forays. I'm not really interested in directing any of my opinions at Bethesda, as I know that what I think is as valueless to them as their interpretation of the franchise is valueless to me. I guess what inspired me to melodrama is the feeling that their decisions for the IP are now driven not by a difference of interpretation, but ONLY by marketing and market trends. That's the sort of thing that I find reprehensible regardless of the IP.

Yeah, I knew Fallout had a following in Russia, and it could be that I'm just unaware of its popularity in China. In that case, I was basing my assumption on the fact that this new version of it bears no resemblance in tone to the main series, and they didn't even bother to call it the same thing (but that may just be a translation issue). As far as I can tell, the only element that is making the transition intact is the Fallout Boy / pseudo-50s cartoon art style; but they appear to have removed the irony and instead committed wholly to its fantasy. The tonal contrast is gone, and only the kitsch remains. Which is a grotesque irony of its own.

Admittedly, I haven't played it, so I may be misjudging them. But I don't think so, based on their track record.

Looks better than the Fallout Shelter we have right now in the West like they took all the build-up ideas and just released it all at once. I play the game on my mobile from time to time while out and about and needing to pass time if online is implemented it might take my ability to play it away. I never played this game seriously but more or less for time wasting. It doesn't look too lore friendly which is worrying, for now, it's a Chinese product and not a worldwide release.

Back