Fallout: The Frontier trailer

My main niggle so far is that I've seen time and time again "realistic" mods AKA "let's make it more like CoD" and rarely they go anywhere in the first place, or they either underserve and have little more than that. However, The Frontier's got all the benefit of the doubt from my part, considering how much I loved Enderal and some of those "red flags" (more linear, less tog focus, more set pieces etc) were all there. I wish that dev diary thing with AlChestBreach had gone on as I'd have a better idea of what you're all cooking, but the gameplay that's out there looks a lot more enticing than the trailers suggested for me.

Yeah I am also not excited for this mod for reasons mentioned by other posters here. It looks more like a combat oriented game than a RPG experience.
And what would the Legion be doing all the way up North? They barely had a presence in Utah and Colorado.

I also find the huge abundance of working combat vehicles not really fitting the Fallout setting. If it had been set during the Resource Wars I think it would have made a lot more sense.

I don't have much of a problem with the vehicles, other than that they look super wonky in this engine. Even if it'd be more combat oriented, I wouldn't mind it all that much. For me it's really just the story... Why the fuck would the NCR go north with all that high tech shit? Why is the Legion up in the north AT ALL? It just makes no damn sense, lore-wise. It would have been a lot better if they had just introduced two completely new factions.

It is indeed weird that if this were canon why the NCR would send all their armored assets to the North when the main force of the Legion is operating in the Mojave and threatens to force its way into the NCR heartlands.

What I forgot to mention when I look at this I am not thinking Fallout but rather recall memories of certain FPS games I have seen on the Playstation 2 and 3.

I'm more interested in Cascadia and Nevada than New California or the Frontier, really.

But overall I'm just glad there are four choices to begin with.

It is indeed weird that if this were canon why the NCR would send all their armored assets to the North when the main force of the Legion is operating in the Mojave and threatens to force its way into the NCR heartlands.

What I forgot to mention when I look at this I am not thinking Fallout but rather recall memories of certain FPS games I have seen on the Playstation 2 and 3.

Not sure if you watched the trailer, but in the trailer we do go a bit into detail. The Frontier's NCR deserted the Mojave NCR after lies and deception. They fled north. They are no longer associated with each other. In terms of concerns with the tech of the Exiled NCR, they were either A) brought with them (in the lore, NCR had a mechanized division) B) re-purposed BoS vehicles (just like how they repurposed the Power Armor in NV), C) found and repaired in the Frontier.

The Legion in the Frontier aren't totally the Legion from the Mojave but they are affiliated with each other. It's new tribes that have pledged and are in the process of being assimilated into the Legion that originated in the Frontier.

True we showed off a lot of action sequences in our trailers, but so did NV and Fallout 3 trailers. I mean if you really want to spoil yourself and see how in depth some of our side quests are... watch below...

The Legion in the Frontier aren't totally the Legion from the Mojave but they are affiliated with each other. It's new tribes that have pledged and are in the process of being assimilated into the Legion that originated in the Frontier.

My issue with this are the 1000 miles distance between Portland in Oregon and New Vegas in Nevada. Hell, it's even worse if you consider Phoenix in Arizona, which is supposed to be the actual established Legion territory.

So the NCR would allow a part of the military to go renegade and take a large part of their mechanized division with them.

If desertion is not an offense enough, stealing all this type of equipment borders on planning a coup d'etat.

But outside of this, I just don't find this an interesting TC. Basically setting the conflict of FNV but in another region of the US and make the campaign even more about it.
I still have the feeling this is pretty much going to play like the campaign from a modern day shooter but with RPG elements.

But don't take it harshly, I don't care for what I have seen in FNV New California either.

I'm going to wait for this to come out before I pass any judgment on it. I don't expect this or New California to be the most top notch works out there but I'm excited to see people making big mods for Fallout with hopeful thinking that it can be something that OG/NV fans can enjoy.

So the NCR would allow a part of the military to go renegade and take a large part of their mechanized division with them.

If desertion is not an offense enough, stealing all this type of equipment borders on planning a coup d'etat.

But outside of this, I just don't find this an interesting TC. Basically setting the conflict of FNV but in another region of the US and make the campaign even more about it.
I still have the feeling this is pretty much going to play like the campaign from a modern day shooter but with RPG elements.

But don't take it harshly, I don't care for what I have seen in FNV New California either.

Well "allowing" to desert is not what deserting is about. Similar to recent incident in Turkey a few years ago where a coup occurred. You don't need permission to desert. The NCR in the Mojave is stretched too thin to do anything against the deserters. Remember, the original orders received at Camp Mccuran from General Lee Oliver was to send the Exiled's battalion to defend Hoover Dam from the impending Legion assault. Instead of going to Hoover Dam, they fled north to the Frontier. So they took whatever supplies/vehicles they had for Hoover Dam instead to the Frontier.

Also, not sure if I should be saying this but the NCR/Legion conflict is the "shallow" part of the story or the "cover up" to the actual story. In addition, there is a another faction we haven't revealed yet in which you can join and well... "spoilers" lol

I don't take any of this harshly. I understand some people don't want to play it and that's fine. As long we have a constructive conversation, that's all I want. You wouldn't believe some of people we had to deal with in the past...

Well "allowing" to desert is not what deserting is about. Similar to recent incident in Turkey a few years ago where a coup occurred. You don't need permission to desert. The NCR in the Mojave is stretched too thin to do anything against the deserters. Remember, the original orders received at Camp Mccuran from General Lee Oliver was to send the Exiled's battalion to defend Hoover Dam from the impending Legion assault. Instead of going to Hoover Dam, they fled north to the Frontier. So they took whatever supplies/vehicles they had for Hoover Dam instead to the Frontier.

Also, not sure if I should be saying this but the NCR/Legion conflict is the "shallow" part of the story or the "cover up" to the actual story. In addition, there is a another faction we haven't revealed yet in which you can join and well... "spoilers" lol

I don't take any of this harshly. I understand some people don't want to play it and that's fine. As long we have a constructive conversation, that's all I want. You wouldn't believe some of people we had to deal with in the past...

I can guess some of the things those people have said. Still, I can understand why some member of NMA are sceptical.

While Frontier is very impressive, with features such as: Brand new creatures, working vehicles, custom effects, proper voice acting, etc.

You have to keep in mind, that all the shiny stuff won't save a game or a mod in this case. There is a reason, why games like Fallout 1/2/New Vegas can be played for hundreds of hours. With plenty of ways to replay the game and play as a different characters with different morals and a mindset.

The mistake bugthesda did with not-fallout 4 and skyrim. Sure it looks impresive, you have fun early on, but after that, there is nothing left. There is no point replaying skyrim or not-fallout 4 since you can see everything on a single playthrough. I own both of these games and I can't find a reason to play them. Because nothing would change.

I am rather hyped myself and I do wish best for the mod, still I will withold my judgement and play it once it comes out.

The one thing that I have found worrisome is that they use the lore of 1,2,NV and ... 3. Hopefully they don't mess up the lore too much. Or at least include elements that do not matter that much, like Enclave clashing with BOS in the East is fine, the rest of 3... No, just no.

Ediros, do remember that it remains a mod. At best it can be part of your own head canon, it won't change the main games or affect any future games which Fallout 3, 4, and 76 probably will.

Sadly for me including elements of Fallout 3 or 4 in one's Total Conversion project is usually a turn off for me, how good the TC itself might be. I rather don't hear about Fallout 3 and 4's elements as they remind me of what Bethesda has been doing to the franchise since they became the owner and I see no reason why modders should help making Bethesda's additions more in tune with Fallout 1 and 2.
It is not going to make the lore of those games good and it affects the quality of the Fallout 1 and 2 material.

@The Dutch Ghost, I know but it Hurts when they contradict it. Here is part of my dialogue on Frontier discord:

Me: @TURTLE HIMSELF , that is your headcannon I believe. 3 is a huge mess, contradicting previous lore. Enclave was destroyed in 2 as New Vegas established. Only remnants are left. I don't consider it canon, especially for things like: little lamplight, Harold, supermutants turned into cannibalistic orcs, FEV in Vault, etc

Turtle: Yeah Todd has lore destroying fetish. You have it burned now In your memory Nazo

Nazi (developer or something): @Ediros New Vegas also says some reminints went east. The east coast mutants are different. I don't see the issue with FEV in a single vault.

Turtle: Besides,Mutants need to eat and If you cant turn It into mutie just eat it.

Me: Okay, remnants are fine. I am okay with that. However, thing is FEV was top secret military project, only housed at Mariposa. It wasn't sent to vaults. Though East Coast supermutants are orcs basically.Why turn people into supermutants? They are sterile

Nazo: The east coast supermutants are dumb. They dont care.Does it... matter? Fallout 3 is quite a bit after 2.
They could find some other way to tame deathclaws. I kind of justify Jet as having been both a pre and post war drug. With Myron rediscovering how it works on the west coast while the east coast had some left over. I also think the mixtures are different.

A preview of one of the frontier Weapons, looking good so far:

Last edited:
I apologize for double posting, but I don't think it deserves it's own thread. First of all, Frontier will be available through Steam and Nexus:

Secondly, they released a whole bunch of dev diaries, 8 I believe:

Here's a response so you won't double post next time. Also, it had been over a month man, I don't think people are gonna upset about an update for a mod like this with a month in between.

I do hope this is good and better than New California which was not so good. I'm still concerned about the plot but hopefully it makes more sense when you play the game.

Back