Fauna, Flora, Factions, and Facilities of the Wasteland

Added something new to the title of this thread: Facilities.

While mutants, and factions make up a lot of the immediate Fallout lore we know so well, so do the various iconic facilities that can be found throughout the game. RobCo Industries, Vault-Tec vaults, the EPA, military bases such as Mariposa, West-Tek research in the Glow.

These bombed up buildings draw our attention just as much as the creatures that inhabit the world of Fallout, giving us little glimpses of the dystopian pre-war world. So I thought it’d be fun to add it to this thread.

Have any Vault ideas? Any corporation or science lab or any interesting idea like those?

Membrain•Prosthesis:

Membrain•Prosthesis was a Pre-War prothetic lab in C.I.T. contracted by the Department of Civil Defense during the late days of the Resource Wars. With the war spanning 23 years as of 2075, over 56% of America’s fighting-fit men were either out fo commission due to injury, taken POW, desertion, or loss of limb.

Simply put, America was running out of soldiers faster than they could draft and train them. To make ends meet, Membrain•Prosthesis was contracted to manufacture prosthetic arms and legs of the most basic function for warfare so those on the field who lost a limb can just have a new one slapped on and sent back to the front. A second chance for glory to the American people. These new arms and legs weren’t articulate or special in any way. The arm was made to hold a rifle and the leg was made to balance the soldier. Because of this, they were used basically as human shields, being sent into enemy lines, unknowingly ordered to “scout ahead” of a minefield or sniper territory. When new of this got back home, completely civil unrest erupted in D.C. The DCD was forced to recall prosthetic troops and send them home, however the contract wasn't ended. In 2076, Membrain•Prosthesis was in the midst of testing out prototype prosthetic arms and legs with full articulation. The goal was to resume what they were doing previously under the nose of brown nosers. The bombs fell before the project was complete, C.I.T. reduced to cinders. However, rumors has it a backup set of prints exist somewhere in the Pentagon lower levels.

Last edited:
Membrain•Prosthesis:

Membrain•Prosthesis was a Pre-War prothetic lab in C.I.T. contracted by the Department of Civil Defense during the late days of the Resource Wars. With the war spanning 23 years as of 2075, over 56% of America’s fighting-fit men were either out fo commission due to injury, taken POW, desertion, or loss of limb.

Simply put, America was running out of soldiers faster than they could draft and train them. To make ends meet, Membrain•Prosthesis was contracted to manufacture prosthetic arms and legs of the most basic function for warfare so those on the field who lost a limb can just have a new one slapped on and sent back to the front. A second chance for glory to the American people. These new arms and legs weren’t articulate or special in any way. The arm was made to hold a rifle and the leg was made to balance the soldier. Because of this, they were used basically as human shields, being sent into enemy lines, unknowingly ordered to “scout ahead” of a minefield or sniper territory. When new of this got back home, completely civil unrest erupted in D.C. The DCD was forced to recall prosthetic troops and send them home, however the contract wasn't ended. In 2076, Membrain•Prosthesis was in the midst of testing out prototype prosthetic arms and legs with full articulation. The goal was to resume what they were doing previously under the nose of brown nosers. The bombs fell before the project was complete, C.I.T. reduced to cinders. However, rumors has it a backup set of prints exist somewhere in the Pentagon lower levels.
I thought the direction you were going to go with was that the hands/arms were semi-autonomous and can still be found wandering the wasteland, strangling hapless passer-bys

I would not mind using some of the better ideas mentioned here for my Fallout Texas ideas, with permission of the original creators of course.

I don't have any ideas for new corporations, companies, military installations, or research facilities outside Clone Station which I once mentioned and the HYDRA fusion power station which would have been the US' first fusion power station had the station come online.
Its technology is actually based on the propulsion system that was being developed for the Enclave's starship by a SpaceX expy.

I would like to come up with more such ideas for the setting such as a Monsanto expy.
Fallout Lonestar had a good one that I liked that was called Magnifico (after the wife of the founder) Agricola which was a biotech and chemicals manufacturer which among other things was specialized in agriculture but also producing materials for the government like the real Monsanto such as chemical agents.
In that mod Magnifico had developed new kinds of plants that could grow in the harshest of conditions. A small community had rediscovered the seeds in the Magnifico laboratory and was able to survive and prosper in the harsh climate of the Texas wasteland.

What ideas did you have in mind specifically?

I would have to go through the topic again, but any interesting ideas regarding defense contractors, regular civilian companies, interesting sounding places and facilities, and of course mutants and factions.

I tend to be rather cautious perhaps when trying to come up with new mutants. I for example don't want to come up with mutant types which roles are already filled by Super Mutants and Ghouls.
I would rather keep psykers rare as I don't want to add psionics as a regular or reoccurring plot device, let alone a gameplay mechanic in the Fallout franchise. Psykers would be as mythical as unicorns.

Maybe instead of mutants then, new raiders factions?

I have really been trying my best to come up with some that have a unique 'gimmick' of their own.
Perhaps the weapons they use, or being part of some cult like the Vipers were first imagined to be.

As for mutants, I wanted to come up with something like reptilian like human mutants that are well adapted for life in the wasteland. Perhaps they were developed by some pre-war organization that foresaw the nuclear war and wanted to adapt humans to the environment rather than the environment to human needs. Something like "Desert Dwellers" or "Desert Walkers".
But reptilian humanoids may be too much D&D.

I have really been trying my best to come up with some that have a unique 'gimmick' of their own.
A gimmick for raiders can usually be found within the region or setting of your story. For example, yours is in Texas. Perhaps the raiders in Texas could be a spin on the Texas Rangers where rather than a sort of police force like the used to be in the old west, they take on more of a raiding party role like the old western Indian raiding parties. Party up and run into towns and pillage it, leaving the dead to hang on “hanging trees”

61F069E2-E3E4-4040-B133-DE0BF9B38CCE.jpeg

Why not have just far more character within people you may or may not meet. Wanderers who were Fauve artists sending you on a mission to find pigments for their art. Communes of philosophy students boring people to death. Obsessed vehicle freaks making steam driven very hot rods.

A gimmick for raiders can usually be found within the region or setting of your story. For example, yours is in Texas. Perhaps the raiders in Texas could be a spin on the Texas Rangers where rather than a sort of police force like the used to be in the old west, they take on more of a raiding party role like the old western Indian raiding parties. Party up and run into towns and pillage it, leaving the dead to hang on “hanging trees”

Unfortunately I am already doing something with rangers, in this case Ranger exiles from the West that have been driven to Texas by the Legion.

Ranger exiles as in Nevada Desert Rangers or NCR Rangers?

Nevada Desert Rangers, these would be an offshoot of that organization.
I don't want to spoil more details.

Be that as it may, adopting a hanging tree aesthetic for some group would be appropriate to the setting regardless of who does it.

Maybe, we could discuss it when I respond to your PM. I have been working on a response for more than a week now but something else came in between.

The best thing Bethesda has added to Fallout is that chicken are still exist. Albeit featherless. I can't live without chicken meats and eggs. And screw with that Gecko/Deathclaw/Mirelurk/Lakelurk eggs.

You probably also know the other reason. Insert <biological efficiency per nutrition ratio>.

Imma say something that I never see brought up: what about people with cancer or people with either invalidating or minor mutations?

(Three-armed men, woman with three boobs?)

Imma say something that I never see brought up: what about people with cancer or people with either invalidating or minor mutations?

(Three-armed men, woman with three boobs?)
Four armed is forewarned. I could say something juvenile about 3 boobed women but I wont.

Back