Guns 'n stuff.

DR_LaZer

Donacdum
OK, so I gots a nice small little question. A common praise for Fallout 4 is that it has great gun combat. Specifically, better than 3 and New Vegas.

So I propose the question: Exactly what's different in gun combat? And I'm excluding the dumb removal of durability, or the crafting of guns. And I'm also excluding the enemy AI. Those are all separate topics. I want to talk about the actual guns themselves. Can someone explain to me what about the guns has changed? To me, it all seems like nothing's changed except for animations, and sounds.

Ai have some impressive Pathing for a gamebyro engine legacy. best example would be the feral ghoul, rad scorpion and mole rat. they could also dodge attack and no longer feel like someone who want to be hugged (as like deathclaw)

guns have 'feels', mean getting sway and recoild kickback right, better animation transition and even include alt animation that play in certain situation.

With the rest I kind of agree, but I don't get what you mean by this.
i mean reloading animation were much more improved than in 3 or new vegas, it also more smooth that its mean there is no "skip" animation (like any melee attack in new vegas).

i mean reloading animation were much more improved than in 3 or new vegas, it also more smooth that its mean there is no "skip" animation (like any melee attack in new vegas).
I mean, Bethesda literally doesn't know how to code their own engine properly when it comes to reload animations, as dictated by the lever action rifle. Obsidian was able to do that in New Vegas.

me, it all seems like nothing's changed except for animations, and sounds.
Have you actually fired the weapons in NV? The weapons feel more diverse and usable in F4. Shotguns actually have impact, and it feels better overall.

Have you actually fired the weapons in NV? The weapons feel more diverse and usable in F4. Shotguns actually have impact, and it feels better overall.
Takeaway gunplay an NV is better than fallout 4 overall. Honestly I never had a problem with 3/NV combat. So this is an awful tradeoff imo.

Yeah so did I... Kind of. I said that the combat in 3/NV was never that bad to me. So fallout 4's improvements don't mean much to me.
That's good for you then. It's much better in 4 in most people's opinion, mine included.

more diverse

GRA makes 4 become LESS diverse than New Vegas. The unique weapons are actually reskinned, and there's a great variety of weapons. FALLOUT 4 HAS 3 PISTOLS. LITERALLY 3.

New Vegas has 6 base-game, non-unique pistols.

That's just laughable.

Now, GRA does require you pay money for it, but, just, you're objectively wrong.

GRA makes 4 become LESS diverse than New Vegas. The unique weapons are actually reskinned, and there's a great variety of weapons. FALLOUT 4 HAS 3 PISTOLS. LITERALLY 3.

New Vegas has 6 base-game, non-unique pistols.

That's just laughable.

Now, GRA does require you pay money for it, but, just, you're objectively wrong.
Plasma, Laser, Pipe, 10mm, .44, Institute = 3? You must have fun mathematics where you come from. And yes I remember the guns and ammo dlc pack that messed up their original weapon modding system. Also Unique weapons shouldn't be considered their own weapons, unless they don't have a standard counterpart of course. And on top of this, you can't actually change the core characteristics of weapons in NV, like you can in F4.

I never felt any impact from shotguns. Like, I am not even lying here. The most I remember is it making my camera jump upwards a lot. Like, for some reason my characters line of sight follows where the gun is pointing. That's the only feel I got, my character having a sudden fascination with the sky when I fire a gun a lot. The male character's supposed to be a solder, right?

And diverse? You mean the million pipe rifles, and the faction themed weapons? Because that's all I can remember. Actually, now that I think about it, factions just have themed weapons in general. Raiders are big on pipes. gunners and super mutants have assault, BoS have laser weapons, children of atom have gamma guns, the institute uses their own terrible laser weapons. And the Railroad actually don't seem to have a theme. And the Minutemen use muskets.

Plasma, Laser, Pipe, 10mm, .44, Institute = 3?
Counting all non-unique pistols in every category, you have a total of 9.

With New Vegas GRA, you have 9 BALLISTIC non-unique pistols.

14 total non-unique pistols.

you can't actually change the core characteristics of weapons in NV, like you can in F4.

If you want to bring up GRA messing up the modding system, then the modding system in F4 is utterly immersion-breaking.

And diverse? You mean the million pipe rifles, and the faction themed weapons? Because that's all I can remember. Actually, now that I think about it, factions just have themed weapons in general. Raiders are big on pipes. gunners and super mutants have assault, BoS have laser weapons, children of atom have gamma guns, the institute uses their own terrible laser weapons. And the Railroad actually don't seem to have a theme. And the Minutemen use muskets.
Diverse in usage, in all the games the factions have themed weapons, for the most part. Though it would have been nice to have a little more diversity in their faction usage. The Minutemen use pipe rifles, laser muskets, and sometimes .44, but I've only seen that twice.

Counting all non-unique pistols in every category, you have a total of 9.

With New Vegas GRA, you have 9 BALLISTIC non-unique pistols.

14 total non-unique pistols.

If you want to bring up GRA messing up the modding system, then the modding system in F4 is utterly immersion-breaking.
alright, 14, neat. Now, what are you even on about with the weapon modding? I said that GRA literally caused in game bugs with the existing non-GRA weapons, and if your immersion is broken by it, that's your own issue.

Diverse in usage, in all the games the factions have themed weapons, for the most part. Though it would have been nice to have a little more diversity in their faction usage. The Minutemen use pipe rifles, laser muskets, and sometimes .44, but I've only seen that twice.

How are they diverse in usage? You have a shotgun, sniper, pistol, and automatic version of all the stuff I listed. Plus some special stuff which has no ammo anywhere for it.

And speaking of guns, how do laser weaponry got recoil? Lasers don't actually have mass, right? Lasers are just light. Light as no mass. Why recoil to the point of me looking to the heavens asking Jesus if he has the answers?

How are they diverse in usage? You have a shotgun, sniper, pistol, and automatic version of all the stuff I listed. Plus some special stuff which has no ammo anywhere for it.

And speaking of guns, how do laser weaponry got recoil? Lasers don't actually have mass, right? Lasers are just light. Light as no mass. Why recoil to the point of me looking to the heavens asking Jesus if he has the answers?
You can alter the firing characteristics of most of the weapons, as well as alter certain stats (more than just upping damage and range) and more fun and weird weapons Fallout is known for, And I don't know why the lasers have recoil, they have recoil in all the 3d Fallouts. Also I do think you're exaggerating the recoil a bit, I have only ever found the recoil of "violent" weapons to be less than manageable, because that's its negative.

You can alter the firing characteristics of most of the weapons, as well as alter certain stats (more than just upping damage and range) and more fun and weird weapons Fallout is known for, And I don't know why the lasers have recoil, they have recoil in all the 3d Fallouts. Also I do think you're exaggerating the recoil a bit, I have only ever found the recoil of "violent" weapons to be less than manageable, because that's its negative.

Nine beam automatic laser rifle. That shit sends you to the moon. Also, I must say muzzled powerful 10 mm auto pistol is SO fun and weird! Along with targeting quad barrel missile launcher! And we can't forget suppressed calibrated powerful pipe bolt action rifle! So fun and weird!

Nine beam automatic laser rifle. That shit sends you to the moon. Also, I must say muzzled powerful 10 mm auto pistol is SO fun and weird! Along with targeting quad barrel missile launcher! And we can't forget suppressed calibrated powerful pipe bolt action rifle! So fun and weird!
You wanted people to answer how the gun play is better, (though you're on NMA, so maybe you were just looking for sarcasm and bashing) and I give how I think it goes, and instead of offering any kind of conversation, you just choose to be this way. *sigh* not sure what I expected from here.

Back