Guns or energy weapons?

Mr. Teatime said:
I believe INT gifts far fewer skill points than we're used to, though. JE thought it was OP...
It still is your main source of points, 0.5 SPs per point of INT (they don't round in FNV).

Keep in mind the implants you can get later in the game for +1 to each stat.

I am playing a high Strength, high Intelligence, 1 Charisma, above average everything else Unarmed/Energy Weapon Jango/Boba Fett inspired bad ass who just annihilates things (was slow because of hybrid melee/ranged nature at first and difficulty finding weapons).

However, my next one will be a Han Solo inspired gunslinger with high Charisma (Speech, Barter), Agility (Guns, Sneak), and Luck as well as above average Per and Intelligence and low Str/End and see how that goes. He'll be focused on traveling light and being very slippery, using his tongue before he uses his gun.

...that last sentence came out wrong.

If you're playing hardcore mode, beware...microfusion cells are very heavy. I'm glad I didn't choose energy weapons.

I don't know if this is random, but I found a plasma rifle in Nipton. It was on a dead guy amongst the airstream trailers. That's pretty early game, for anyone still looking.

lmao said:
If you're playing hardcore mode, beware...microfusion cells are very heavy. I'm glad I didn't choose energy weapons.

I don't know if this is random, but I found a plasma rifle in Nipton. It was on a dead guy amongst the airstream trailers. That's pretty early game, for anyone still looking.
Laser rifle, but yeah. I don't think I've seen a second yet to repair it with, so I try to use my laser rifle very judiciously. Same goes for the Plasma Pistol.

Laser Pistols on the other hand are actually very common. SEC OC ammo is okay to use.

Mapex said:
Laser rifle, but yeah. I don't think I've seen a second yet to repair it with, so I try to use my laser rifle very judiciously. Same goes for the Plasma Pistol.

Laser Pistols on the other hand are actually very common. SEC OC ammo is okay to use.

You might consider investing in your repair skill, getting it up to a value of 50. This investment permits the creation of weapon repair kits, using wrenches, duct tape, etc, that may be used to repair any weapon. The kits only weigh one pound, which makes them very useful.

Dreamsofcats said:
Mapex said:

You might consider investing in your repair skill, getting it up to a value of 50. This investment permits the creation of weapon repair kits, using wrenches, duct tape, etc, that may be used to repair any weapon. The kits only weigh one pound, which makes them very useful.

The parts, however, are horribly heavy - especially when you're stockpiling everything but can't find wrenches.

I found a plasma rifle before I found the laser rifle on the ground in nipton.

They're out there in the early game if you look (and put points into lockpick)

:)

So I've finished the game (twice) with my energy character build (who had 6 skills at 100 by the end, way to go Obsidian), and is it just me or does plasma kind of suck compared to laser? I never found a good use for it even when I found the unique plasma rifle (accelerator thingy).

I found myself switching between the RCW laser for crowd control, and the gauss rifle for difficult targets (like deathclaws). Laser rifle/pistol for most mop-up stuff. The plasma stuff...I usually love it, and even took the perk, but it just wasn't doing much, especially outside of vats where it's hard to even hit people.

Also, is it just me or does the plasma caster just not function outside of VATS? And do barely any damage in VATS?

The presence of the Fiends really removes any stocking problems for energy weapons and ammo. Just visit them for ammo and parts.

Fiend farming for energy weapons.
Mutant farming for 'heavy weapons' / money.

The RCW laser (or the modded laser rifle +1 scope) is indeed very good for 'crowd control'.

I prefer the Anti-material rifle over the Gauss rifle for the more difficult targets.

The Fiends are pretty sure gamebreaking. Even with guns skill (and not energy), I visited them sometimes to catch some energy weapons... if they are repaired well, you can tick them for a lot money to the Van Graffs or Gun Runners and get rich fast.

It's a bit annoying, but I also don't know how to fix that... except maybe making Fiends non-respawners.

In the moment I hope for a kind of DLC that is a bit bigger than the Fallout 3 DLC stuff and will fix + add + change various stuff in the game world, kind of like a small Night of the Raven addon from Gothic 2. But I'll somehow doubt that something like this will become reality.

Anyone knows if 'That Gun' counts as a pistol or an energy-gun? It shoots this green stuff..

So I've finished the game (twice) with my energy character build (who had 6 skills at 100 by the end, way to go Obsidian), and is it just me or does plasma kind of suck compared to laser? I never found a good use for it even when I found the unique plasma rifle (accelerator thingy).

Haven't tried energy weapons much, but from what I understood plasma should work better against enemies with high DT and laser is better for low DT?

I always tagged Small Guns and I tagged Guns because the other games have had more common guns and energy weapons are rarer in the game but I never liked them anyway.

Normal guns seem much more fun than energy weapons, Ive hardly used them except for the Plasma Caster against a load of Deathclaws.

Ausdoerrt said:
Haven't tried energy weapons much, but from what I understood plasma should work better against enemies with high DT and laser is better for low DT?

It should, but it didn't seem to.

Maybe that's because most common enemies have low DT? For example, I've had a hell of a time trying to take radscorpions out with a laser pistol... That said, I haven't really tried plasma yet on this playthrough - will see what it's like once I get it.

I found a plasma rifle before I found the laser rifle on the ground in nipton.

They're out there in the early game if you look (and put points into lockpick)

Ammo, on the other hand, is a bit more of an issue.

Back