Horror Film List & Suggestions [Curated] (includes links)

Are sudden movement loud noise jump scares good horror?

• Yes

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • No

Votes: 10 76.9%
  • I'm a pussy who can't watch horror.

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters

Mr Fish

Slippy sloppy, The
Anyone got any suspenseful maybe even slow boil horror films that doesn't have many jump scares? Like one or two depending on the context of the jump scare is fine but preferably not fast movement then loud ass noise as a OOGA BOOGA moment.

I think I'm gonna do a list here later of films I've enjoyed.

[edit]

Ok so this is a list I am going to curate. They are specifically films that I've seen and I've enjoyed which means I am going to gatekeep shit I think is trash so for example I love The Cube but part of why I loved The Cube was because of the mystery behind the strange construct they found themselves in then Hypercube (the sequel) and the prequel ruined it by spoiling the mystery. So I will not list those two and only The Cube.

If you got suggestions for films or for horror subgenres or why a film should be moved from one subgenre to another or maybe copied then feel free to tell me.

This also isn't just strictly horror films but also mystery films or thrillers and stuff with a supernatural twist. So Coherence for example is a film that deals with a lot of strange concepts that are terrifying but it isn't necessary a horror film. Bringing Out The Dead is a drama/thriller film maybe but it has "ghosts" in it.

The list will include some jump scare films as well but what I'm really looking for is slow boil/suspenseful films in the veins of Caveat or Possum.

Night Of The Living Dead
Dawn Of The Dead
Day Of The Dead
Diary Of The Dead
Land Of The Dead
Shaun Of The Dead
The Dead 2010
The Walking Dead [TVseries] (only 1st season, if you have to watch more watch 2nd season, stop then, trust me)

28 Days Later (not a zombie film)
28 Weeks Later (not a zombie film)
Bio-Zombie (personal guilty pleasure, it's a c-movie, watch the english dubbed version for extra comedy)
Dawn Of The Dead 2004
Dead & Buried 1981
Demons 1985 (Might as well be "zombies")
Return Of The Living Dead
Night Of The Comet
Pet Sematary 1989 (Stephen King)
Pontypool
Zombie Strippers (horror/comedy)

Hausu 1977
Funny Games
Twin Peaks
Santa Sangre
Eraserhead
13 Tzameti
Testsuo
Judgement Night
Eraserhead
Surviving The Game
Ju-On: The Grudge
Midsommar
Ringu
Dead Ringers- - (body horror)
Naked Lunch - - (body horror)
Ichi The Killer - - (down to earth?)
Audition 1999 - - (down to earth?)
The day after - - (post-apocalyptic)
Threads - - (post-apocalyptic)
Roar - - (animal attacks)
Demon Seed 1977 - - (robot wars?)
The Sentinel 1977
The Entity 1982 - - (demons)

(the films here are films I've watched and I disagree with that they are worth your time, but that is my subjective take which you can ignore if you want to)
The Dead Don't Die (Zombie film)

Last edited:
My top two horror films are horror/comedies - The Lighthouse and American Psycho. So not really fitting your bill.

Lake Mungo is pretty good in a kind of documentary / listening to a ghost story kind of way but it takes low key/slow burn to an extreme you might not like. I found it very eerie and enjoyable but it's not a normal horror movie

I say still watch American Psycho regardless because that's a great movie.

Best stuff I can think of would be The Thing and The Shining. They have loud jump scare type stuff though. It's a shame there isn't more good cosmic horror out there. It's not really horror per se, but I always shill for 13 Tzameti. Again, not technically horror but pretty horrific in it's own way. Other than that I'd say maybe Tetsuo body hammer and then Lynch's Eraserhead, although, I assume you've seen that last one.

If I remember correctly, Tetsuo Body Hammer was about fetishization of technology and industrialization.

Some other stuff:

Hellraiser
Judgement Night
Surviving The Game

In the Mouth of Madness is pretty good. also go watch Bone Tomahawk. that movie is ace.

Yeah John Carpenter is a slow build. They just made an episode about him a few days ago.

Evil Dead is more of my cup of tea but slow builds, wasn't the Silent Hill movie surprisingly good? I can't remember.

Anything off the normal radar idk.

Eraserhead is a rather slow Building Movie with a huge payoff. I recommend Twin Peaks (all of it) if you have the time.

Funny Games US is... Kind of funny. But it's not only pretty messed up but also generally upsetting.

If you want something a bit different, Santa Sangre is pretty good.

Want something Not scary but batshit insane? Go for House, a 1977 Japanese Movie about a demonic cat

My top two horror films are horror/comedies - The Lighthouse and American Psycho. So not really fitting your bill.

Lake Mungo is pretty good in a kind of documentary / listening to a ghost story kind of way but it takes low key/slow burn to an extreme you might not like. I found it very eerie and enjoyable but it's not a normal horror movie
Seen all three, Lighthouse and Lake Mungo quite recently.
Lighthouse is a good film, don't really know how much of a horror film I find it to be though. I supposed it is the horror of man with a sprinkling of lovecraft.
Lake Mungo is a great "found footage/mockumentary" that actually tries its best to not feel staged like most other films do and it kept its supernatural elements on the d-low rather than just throw them in your face all the time. I've watched a bunch of found footage films as of late that I gotta post in my original post later.

Best stuff I can think of would be The Thing and The Shining. They have loud jump scare type stuff though. It's a shame there isn't more good cosmic horror out there. It's not really horror per se, but I always shill for 13 Tzameti. Again, not technically horror but pretty horrific in it's own way. Other than that I'd say maybe Tetsuo body hammer and then Lynch's Eraserhead, although, I assume you've seen that last one.

If I remember correctly, Tetsuo Body Hammer was about fetishization of technology and industrialization.

Some other stuff:

Hellraiser
Judgement Night
Surviving The Game
Well, who hasn't seen The Thing and The Shining? However it has been maybe a decade since I last saw The Shining so that one I gotta rewatch. As to cosmic horror, have you seen A Color Out Of Space and The Endless?
I'll check out 13 Tzameti, Testsuo, Judgement Night, Eraserhead and Surviving The Game though.
Hellraiser is also great, like the second one too, but from what I've heard the series goes down the absolute shitter after that point, can anyone confirm or deny that?

In the Mouth of Madness is pretty good. also go watch Bone Tomahawk. that movie is ace.
Watched In The Mouth Of Madness quite recently. Great film. I'd also suggest Prince Of Darkness to anyone who want more HP Lovecraft in their life.
I have Bone Tomahawk on my list of films to get to, I have seen a scene that is quite horrific from that film.

Yeah John Carpenter is a slow build. They just made an episode about him a few days ago.

Evil Dead is more of my cup of tea but slow builds, wasn't the Silent Hill movie surprisingly good? I can't remember.

Anything off the normal radar idk.
Evil Dead is something I should get back to and I got Silent Hill on my list of films to get to.
I actually think the new Evil Dead film is good. Like a 5.5/10.

Eraserhead is a rather slow Building Movie with a huge payoff. I recommend Twin Peaks (all of it) if you have the time.

Funny Games US is... Kind of funny. But it's not only pretty messed up but also generally upsetting.

If you want something a bit different, Santa Sangre is pretty good.

Want something Not scary but batshit insane? Go for House, a 1977 Japanese Movie about a demonic cat
Oh I don't watch tv-shows so I'm not checking out Twin Peaks.
Funny Games feels like the kind of film that might just depress me. I recently tried watching Eden Lake and I quit partway through because of how it is structured. It just feels like a misery film and when I skipped to the ending I saw that yeah this film is just going to piss me off if I watch it. I don't wanna spoil anymore than that.
House... THis one? https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076162/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_1

[edit]

I've updated the original post, keep suggestions coming.

Last edited:
Good point, but is it Romero zombies or "other" zombies?

Romero, as the name implies the movie is an homage to those movies. The soundtrack is classic Romero and the zombies are shuffling Romero types too. Also does the same kind of tongue in cheek social commentary as the Romero kind, but about Britain.

Romero, as the name implies the movie is an homage to those movies. The soundtrack is classic Romero and the zombies are shuffling Romero types too. Also does the same kind of tongue in cheek social commentary as the Romero kind, but about Britain.
Added it.

Martyrs, Audition, The Ring (Japanese), Ju-On, House, Suspiria, Hereditary, Midsommar.
Martyr's premise didn't hook me.
There is a lot of Auditions, which one is it?
I got Ringu on my to watch list.
I'll put Ju-On on my to watch list.
House... Is that Housu or whatever that was suggested before?
Suspiria and Hereditary, I couldn't stand these films. Suspiria's mirror room scene was brutal as fuck and I would advice anyone who wants gore scenes to watch that one but the rest of the film was just uninteresting to me and I don't know what my problem even was with Hereditary I just remember feeling like it lied to me. Like it was more of a drama film about trauma and as I got bored with it I skimmed through and the ending just seemed wildly out of place to me. I really didn't like either of these two films.
Midsommar is on my to watch list.

The Dead Don't Die was pretty fun.
I tried watching that but it had some political shit injected in it that made me just completely lose interest.
I don't remember what specifically it was but it made me wonder "how much more of this shit is there in here?"
And then I just erred on the side of caution as to not waste my time and stopped watching.

Just looked it up: https://www.breitbart.com/entertain...trump-zombie-film-opens-cannes-film-festival/

Yeah, miss me with that shit.

image_2021-10-14_234711.png

:falloutonline:

I tried watching that but it had some political shit injected in it that made me just completely lose interest.
I don't remember what specifically it was but it made me wonder "how much more of this shit is there in here?"
And then I just erred on the side of caution as to not waste my time and stopped watching.

Just looked it up: https://www.breitbart.com/entertain...trump-zombie-film-opens-cannes-film-festival/

Yeah, miss me with that shit.

View attachment 20985

:falloutonline:

Which means you are incapable of laughing at yourself and take shit entirely too seriously. Trump retards are retarded and I voted for him.

Which means you are incapable of laughing at yourself and take shit entirely too seriously. Trump retards are retarded and I voted for him.
I can laugh at myself, if it is a funny joke. I didn't see any funny jokes when it came to the political shit.

It's a brilliant commentary and if you don't think it's funny you're still part of the joke.

Back