How To Optimize SPECIAL

DwayneGAnd

Look, Ma! Two Heads!
I had a brainstorm recently. Using an online character planner, I discovered how I can truly optimize my SPECIAL for best results in terms of damage, carry weight, skill points, health, and critical chance. This applies to the first and second game, whether you are Gifted, Stupid, or neither. And I thought I would share it with everyone.

First dump Charisma. Drop Endurance down to 4. If you are ranged, keep Strength and Perception at 5, or take Strength down to 4 in the second game. If you are Hand To Hand, raise it to 6 in the first game or keep it at 5 in the second game as you need to have it maxed for maximum damage. Now raise Agility to 9, or 8 if you are taking Small Frame. If you are ranged or Jinxed, raise Luck to 9 in the second game, 8 in the second game. If you are melee, keep it at 5 in the first game, or lower it to 4 in the second game as you'll be getting the NCR zeta scan. If you are neither Gifted nor Stupid, raise Intelligence to 6. If you are Stupid, set it to 2. Keep it at 9 if you are Gifted. Put your remaining points into Endurance if you are playing the first game (but don't max it) or going solo in the second game (you can max it in the second game), but make sure it is even in the second game. Having an odd value at the start of the first game is better because you may an extra point elsewhere and you can get the implant at the Brotherhood for a bonue to your increased health per level up. If you are playing with followers in the second game, put those points into Charisma up to 8. Again, make sure it is even. If both are even, or if Endurance is maxed and you are going solo, and you still have points left over, raise your Intelligence up to 7 if neither Gifted nor Stupid, or 3 if Stupid. If your Intelligence is already at the maximum value needed, both Endurance and Charisma are even, or if Endurance is maxed and you are going solo, then raise Strength up to either 6 in the first game or 5 in the second game. If you still have a point left after doing this, put it back into Perception. If you are playing the first game and you get an even value of Endurance, take one point off and put it into Intelligence up to 7 if you are neither Gifted nor Stupid, or 3 if you are Stupid.

This way, you'll have reasonable health, carry weight, can use most weapons, have maximum critical chance rate if going ranged, get enough skill points, have maximum action points, and have a good sized party in the second game if getting followers. You'll still need to use chems to qualify for Sniper if going ranged.

Last edited:
Following my most recent playthrough, I've decided that it's not a good idea to start with lower Perception even if you're ranged as that results in lower accuracy, requiring more skill point investment to make up for it, yet other skills will also need high investment to be effective, and too many skill points invested into combat skills will result in non-combat skills being less effective. So I've had a rethink and made some changes to this system I brainstormed.

To best optimize SPECIAL with normal Intelligence, first dump Charisma and lower Endurance to 4. Raise Agility up to 9, or 8 if you choose to take Small Frame, either way, you'll end up with 9. Raise Intelligence and Perception to 7. If ranged, keep Strength at 5 in the first game or lower it to 4 in the second. If melee, raise it to 6 in the first game, keep at 5 in the second. If melee, keep Luck at 5 in the first game, lower it to 4 in the second. If Jinxed, raise Luck up to 9 in the first game or 8 in the second. What you do with the rest of your points depends on which game you are playing, if going solo or having friends in the second, or if either melee or ranged. If playing the first game put the rest of your points into Luck as a ranged character, or into Endurance as a melee character. If playing the second game, put those points into Charisma if wanting companions. If playing solo, put them into Luck as a ranged character, or Endurance as a melee character, making sure Endurance is even.

To best optimize SPECIAL as a Gifted character, first apply the trait. Dump Charisma. Keep Strength at 6 if melee in the first game, or lower it to 5 in the second game. Lower Endurance to 4. If ranged, lower Strength down to 5 in the first game, or 4 in the second. Raise Agility up to 9, or 8 before applying the bonus with Small Frame. Now raise Intelligence up to 9. If playing a ranged or Jinxed character, raise Luck to 9 in the first game or 8 in the second game. If ranged, set Perception to 9. If melee, lower Luck to 5 in the first game, or 4 in the second game. Put your remaining points into Endurance in the first game, into either Endurance or Charisma in the second game depending on whether or not you want followers, but remember to have both at an even value if using followers. If you still have a point leftover, put it back into Strength as long as you end up with 5. In the first game, put those leftover points into Luck due to the uselessness of Charisma.

To best optimize SPECIAL as a stupid character, first dump Charisma and set Intelligence to 3. If ranged, keep Strength at 5 in the first game or lower it to 4 in the second. If melee, raise it to 6 in the first game, but keep it at 5 in the second game. Lower Endurance to 4. Raise Agility to 8 before you apply Small Frame if you choose it, or otherwise at 9. If ranged or Jinxed, raise Luck up to 9 in the first game or 8 in the second. Set Perception to 9 if ranged. If melee, raise Endurance up to 9 in the first game or 10 in the second. In the first game, put the remainder of your points into Luck as a melee character as they will be better spend in Luck than in Charisma.

I found another way to optimize SPECIAL. With this method, you'll have reasonable skill points, health, qualify for all perks without chems (unless stupid), and if ranged, have 100% critical chance.

Fallout 1:

Normal:

Dump Charisma. Lower Endurance to 3. Raise Intelligence to 6. Raise Agility to 9, or 8 if applying the bonus from Small Frame. If ranged, raise Perception to 7. If ranged or Jinxed, set Luck to 9. If melee, raise Strength to 6. Raise Intelligence to 7 if you have points left. If melee, put all remaining points left into Endurance.

Gifted:

Apply the trait and follow everything above, but set Intelligence to 9. After everything is done, put all remaining points into Endurance.

Stupid:

Same as normal, but lower Intellligence to 3. After finishing with everything else, put all leftover points into Endurance.

Fallout 2:

Normal:

Dump Charisma. Lower Endurance to 4. Raise Intelligence to 6. Lower Strength to 4 if ranged. Raise Agility to 9, or 8 if applying the bonus from Small Frame. If ranged, raise Perception to 7. If ranged or Jinxed, raise Luck to 8. If melee, keep Strength at 5 and lower Luck to 4. If you have points left, raise Intelligence to 7. If wanting to have companions, put those points into Charisma. If you are ranged, you'll only be able to raise it to 2, but you can use Mirrored Shades, the module, and Magnetic Personality to have three companions by the end of the game. If going solo, put those points into Endurance. Charisma should be higher if playing a party character, Endurance if going solo. Remember to keep Endurance and Charisma if having followers at an even number as you won't get any bonuses from an odd number.

Gifted:

Apply the trait and follow everything above in normal, but set Intelligence to 9. Put leftover points into Endurance if going solo or Charisma if going with followers. Make sure Endurance and Charisma if having followers are even.

Stupid:

Same as normal, but lower Intelligence to 3. Keep Charisma at 1 and put all leftover points into Endurance. Make sure Endurance is an even number.

Last edited:
Back