How to set up a Fallout 2 mod without much trouble

hi, i'm new to the modding. I'm not really following what you have here. i cannot find Fallout2.exe anywhere its probably there but its not named that. i found all the other files. Critter.dat fallout2.cfg master.dat ect. i dont know if you mean move them all to the mod folder or make copies of them. i have play the game and everything so the exe must be there. also they are just blank files. i cannot open them. im not trying to be a pain right now and i know all the information is right there. i just do not understand it. if you could help i would appreciate it.

Can this also be done with Fallout? I don't see why not.

I know you've told me about this before ... I can't believe I forgot about it on every single Fallout Fixt release thus far. If it works for Fo1 also, all they'd have to do is delete the folder to uninstall it.

:facepalm:

Of course, it's nearly the same engine. There is no reason why this wouldn't work... Except maybe for the patch.dat files via Sfall. No idea if Fo1 Sfall supports this.

I'll check it out. Thanks! <3

Also, hooray on me for raising dead threads :D
thread_necro.gif

I would think this could be a sticky thread, since it is informative involving mod work.

What about Sfall? You have to put that in the mod folder as well, right?

I've made an installer for my mod now, I'll test running it using this method.

What about Sfall? You have to put that in the mod folder as well, right?
I've made an installer for my mod now, I'll test running it using this method.
Yes, sfall must be with exe.
I set up my current Fallout2 folder with all mods using Lexx's method, including the coexisting unofficial patch.

Finally, my influence is increasing and soon I will control the whole world.

This is my Fo2 folder btw. :>
dhaVsI.png

@Lexx
It's a great system, EXCEPT what to do if Megamod or Restoration project change master.dat by packing protos into it? Did you put extra copies of master.dats in their folders?

Ohhh, Shattered Destiny 3? AND you can play it? Sneaky dog!
So, how much money you need, Lexx, to finish the trilogy? Come on, whats the number?:) We'll NMA-crowd-fund that sucker.

Last edited:
If a mod is editing the master.dat file then it won't work. I still don't really see why the master.dat should be patched anyway. Keep the files in the open folder OR create your custom patch *.dat file, like I wrote in the first post. There really NEVER is any reason why you should touch the Fo2 master.dat file.

Money for a Fallout 1/2 mod won't do much, coz there aren't enough people who would want to help working on the development front. :>

Last edited:
The reason for editing master.dat is the npc leveling bug where your companions WILL forget their newly levels if the their protos are not packed into master.dat. That's ther reason. Not because of some modder's crazy wish.
And as far as I know patch000.dat won't work, only master.dat.

EDIT: Maybe folder version is ok, though. Hmm, should check that. But then different mods could be editing same NPC files in master.dat folder. So you still need several master.dats.

Last edited:
Why does Fallout forget them if they're not in master.dat? That's really weird.

btw @Lexx this subfolder setup is standard now for all current and future Fixt releases. (0.80alpha onward) Your evil plan is coming to fruition! :wiggle:

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason for editing master.dat is the npc leveling bug where your companions WILL forget their newly levels if the their protos are not packed into master.dat. That's ther reason. Not because of some modder's crazy wish.
And as far as I know patch000.dat won't work, only master.dat.

EDIT: Maybe folder version is ok, though. Hmm, should check that. But then different mods could be editing same NPC files in master.dat folder. So you still need several master.dats.

I encountered such issue - my npc's forget their newly acquired levels. How can I solve this issue?

I've just found solution - I had to remove lvl1 proto files of the followers from /Data/Proto/Critters. Next time my npcs leveled up, they gained all the missing levels.

Code:
music_path1=data\sound\music\
music_path2=..\data\sound\music\

I think it is the opposite. First path look for the vanilla files. Second path for the mods.

It should be :
Code:
music_path1=..\data\sound\music\
music_path2=data\sound\music\

@Lexx
It's a great system, EXCEPT what to do if Megamod or Restoration project change master.dat by packing protos into it? Did you put extra copies of master.dats in their folders?

Ohhh, Shattered Destiny 3? AND you can play it? Sneaky dog!
So, how much money you need, Lexx, to finish the trilogy? Come on, whats the number?:) We'll NMA-crowd-fund that sucker.

Even if you unpack all the content of the master.dat, put that content in a folder called master.dat and provide a path to that folder with Fallout2.cfg ?

I am sure he is keeping SD3 all for himself.

Last edited:
Hi, i'm trying to plau this mod and it say : "couldnt find text load" i am not allowed ( as noob mutant ) to edit the cfg due to some restrictions :/

Back