I know this is heresy, but I like Fallout 76

It's a weird day when we see people playing Fallout games for base building. :lol:
I mean, what else am I going to do... enjoy the story?! explore the deep and philosophical questions raised by the game?! Reflect on the commentary of the human condition?!

I must have missed those parts last time I played either 4 or sloppity socks

I mean, what else am I going to do... enjoy the story?! explore the deep and philosophical questions raised by the game?! Reflect on the commentary of the human condition?!

I must have missed those parts last time I played either 4 or sloppity socks
Just not play?
If the base building is the only fun part, there are probably better base building games around, which don't have all the other bad stuff clogging it.

I don't know. I only played FO4 once and never even beat the game.

For example, I thought it was pretty boring having to go around collecting tons of trash, dismantling the trash into materials and then building a chair using those materials, when I couldn't just collect the exact same chair from tons of ruined houses because the game doesn't let me.
I hate wasting time doing useless stuff in games, and having to go through all those steps and build a chair that didn't even look new or clean, while it would have made more sense to just allow the character to grab a chair and place it anywhere. It's pretty time wasting for me. Put me off the base/house building right away.

Last edited:
I don't know what it is about it! I got it for sale for about 10 bucks last october and I can't get off it since! I liked the first 2 Fallouts, (I got hardened PA and a Turbo plasma rifle + Alien blaster pistol in Fo1 and I escpecially liked doing the Adytum quests like clearing out the deathclaw den and getting the .223 pistol from that guy in The Hub, and in Fallout 2 I got APA, a gauss rifle, the Highwayman, Goris, and an avenger minigun with like 1300 5mm rounds lol) and I also enjoyed the Bethesda Fallouts, and honestly I liked the story of 3 and 76. 4, not so much. I'm looking to play Tactics too, and I will, but something about 76 I like. I don't know if it's the camp building system or if it's the friendly playerbase, or the power armor, but there's just something about wandering around Appalachia in Excavator power armor. I mean, I feel like an ABSOLUTE TANK, like in Fallout 1! And the world/environment is just wonderful and very rewarding to explore! The questlines, while linear, and boring 50% of the time, have their moments, and as cheesy and corny, and buggy as this game is, there's just something that keeps me coming back, and I don't know what
I tried giving fallout 4 chance after chance but it just pushes me away. I'm guessing 76 is like dayz or rust? if so it might be fun i don't know i'm not much of a game person, I'm more into books and vagina.

I tried giving fallout 4 chance after chance but it just pushes me away. I'm guessing 76 is like dayz or rust? if so it might be fun i don't know i'm not much of a game person, I'm more into books and vagina.

And you'd be guessing quite wrongly. 76 has none of what those games offer... the building is far simpler (and a lot of the build options are locked behind the paywall of Fallout First or whatever it's called... buy fake digital money to spend on the even faker building parts...

The main play loop of FO76 is, once you reach 'end game' mostly fits around the in-world events that Beth throws out, and even these 'events' just break down into the repetitive grind of the same missions or raid-boss fights to be awarded your shiny digital baubles.

Just not play?
... {words here}...

I have to restate; for me, the game was worth playing. I enjoyed the progression through the 'story' of the world - yes, yes... I'd previously made fun of the lack of story... which is still true, perhaps I should refer to it instead as a guided narrative to move your character to differing locations around the map.

I enjoyed enough parts of the game that I played it for many hours at a time, I enjoyed the often repetitive grindy end-game repeating missions, and I even enjoyed some of the bullet sponge boss fighting. As much as I can mock the game- I can do so from the experience of having played it. I've come to understand it, and know why I don't like some parts of it.

As for 'not playing it' I no longer do, there are much better games to play, and I'm unlikely to ever revisit FO76 I feel I've done it...

Last edited:
I understand that, i had quite a bit of fun with it a while back when i had it on Xbox One.
i think its mediocre as a game but scratches a kind of mmo survival itch i had.

i think it would have been better recieved if it wasnt a fallout game, it wouldnt be liked nesasary but there would be alot less anger

I didn't care about the basebuilding in 4 at all, I nearly quit the game when it made me craft shit to access the Institute, but apparently everybody else loves it. Doubling down on it in 76 was certainly the right decision from a business standpoint. Shame that an inferior shoehorned version of Minecraft is most of what Fallout's known for these days. (Well, that and debating about which New Vegas faction was right.)

I didn't care about the basebuilding in 4 at all, I nearly quit the game when it made me craft shit to access the Institute, but apparently everybody else loves it. Doubling down on it in 76 was certainly the right decision from a business standpoint. Shame that an inferior shoehorned version of Minecraft is most of what Fallout's known for these days. (Well, that and debating about which New Vegas faction was right.)

i thought the base building and resource management was pretty fun but i hated that you could only build in certain spots, kind of ruins the feeling of building back in the wasteland when i can only build in pre determined places

The base building would be fine if the invasions and all that shit were not so retarded. NPC hit squads should roam the map instead they are spawned right in front of it to attack it.

I don't see any problem liking something, it's good to see someone finding enjoyment in the game despite it's flaws, I actualy started playing again receently for the frist time since like, 2020 I believe, been on a bit of a Fallout hyperfixation again as of late, just happened to coincide with a recent renewal of my Playstation Plus membership, so I figured why not give the game another go and see what's new.

I didn't, and still don't enjoy the basebuilding of 4, Fallout 4's color pallette gives me a brain tumor the size of massachussets and a very intense migraine when I look at it for too long. But I find it quite fun and relaxing in 76, maybe because they give you more to work with, idk, also the environment & color pallette is just pleasing to be around / look at in 76 imo. Plus, as someone who lives in, and was raised in west virginia, I find it pretty cool, it's neat seeing familiar areas in a post apocalyptic setting.

I didn't, and still don't enjoy the basebuilding of 4, Fallout 4's color pallette gives me a brain tumor the size of massachussets and a very intense migraine when I look at it for too long. But I find it quite fun and relaxing in 76, maybe because they give you more to work with, idk, also the environment & color pallette is just pleasing to be around / look at in 76 imo. Plus, as someone who lives in, and was raised in west virginia, I find it pretty cool, it's neat seeing familiar areas in a post apocalyptic setting.

Hey, glad to hear you got some enjoyment out of 76. I don't know if I'll play it - I still have no idea if the writing or story is actually good despite the massive and needed overhaul they did with the Wastelander update, and with Bethesda's writing chops I have little confidence it is. I liked the GI Joe parody when I saw it was a thing on the Fallout wiki at least.

If we had a Fallout game that deftly worked the basebuilding into an actual well-written Black Isle-style story (in Fallout 4 it was shoehorned in and I have no idea how 76 does it) it would be pretty killer. It would also be really difficult to actually do right given the inherent conflict between focused storytelling and open-world sandbox gameplay. Now I'm imagining Fallout 2 with basebuilding and...that actually doesn't sound bad. Huh.

Last edited:
Hey, glad to hear you got some enjoyment out of 76. I don't know if I'll play it - I still have no idea if the writing or story is actually good despite the massive and needed overhaul they did with the Wastelander update, and with Bethesda's writing chops I have little confidence it is. I liked the GI Joe parody when I saw it was a thing on the Fallout wiki at least.

If we had a Fallout game that deftly worked the basebuilding into an actual well-written Black Isle-style story (in Fallout 4 it was shoehorned in and I have no idea how 76 does it) it would be pretty killer. It would also be really difficult to actually do right given the inherent conflict between focused storytelling and open-world sandbox gameplay. Now I'm imagining Fallout 2 with basebuilding and...that actually doesn't sound bad. Huh.

At this point, I just want another fallout game with competent gameplay, and the standard of writing of the first 2 and new vegas, bethesda seriously needs to get their shit together in my opinion, and they need to realize, if your game is not finished, DO NOT FUCKING RELEASE IT YET, fallout 5 is looking pretty far off, and the way I see it is, bethesda has a lot of time to take a long hard look at the series, and realize the improvements that need to be made, and need to realize that Fallout "THE POST NUCLEAR ROLEPLAYING GAME" needs to be an RPG at it's heart and core, because at this point, it hardly even resembles an RPG

At this point, I just want another fallout game with competent gameplay, and the standard of writing of the first 2 and new vegas, bethesda seriously needs to get their shit together in my opinion, and they need to realize, if your game is not finished, DO NOT FUCKING RELEASE IT YET, fallout 5 is looking pretty far off, and the way I see it is, bethesda has a lot of time to take a long hard look at the series, and realize the improvements that need to be made, and need to realize that Fallout "THE POST NUCLEAR ROLEPLAYING GAME" needs to be an RPG at it's heart and core, because at this point, it hardly even resembles an RPG

Indeed, and it's not even that post nuclear with the way they've treated the setting. In Fallout 3 and Fallout 4, people were still scrounging in the ruins and aping pre-war '50s style culture, not building anything new, over 200 years after the Great War. At least their environment design makes more sense with Fallout 76 than it did with FO3 and FO4...there's a gap of literally over a century between FO76 and FO4, yet things look largely the same in both games. It would have made sense if FO3 took place in 2104 or so like FO76 does.

I have no idea if their writing team will improve between now and the release of Fallout 5 in ten or so years. Emil is now a lead writer on projects like Starfield, and whatever that might mean, it's not a sign for optimism.

if your game is not finished, DO NOT FUCKING RELEASE IT YET,
to be fair that isnt the devs fault,
i know it isnt exactly comparable but if you remember back to the blood 2 fiasco you'll remember that the publishers shipped it despite the wishes of the devs. Alot of peple are blaming the devs for fallout's fuckups but i can almost guarantee that the games that are being released arent the games that the devs wanted to ship

that the games that are being released arent the games that the devs wanted to ship

I am not being sarcastic. This is an old problem that more than likely has become worse. " Hurry up get that game out as it stands NOW. We can always patch it up over the next 5 years, or better still the fans will sort it out "

As for 76, I never considered buying it for one moment.

I can't wait for ' The SIMS (insert number) Ukraine civil war edition.

This is an old problem that more than likely has become worse.
to be fair because of the size and scope of games today releasing them in a less then ready state is the most cost effective way to test and patch them, obviously im not apologising for that bs but it is understandable.

to be fair because of the size and scope of games today releasing them in a less then ready state is the most cost effective way to test and patch them,

I don't disagree with early release whatsoever. Books always have proof readers. Writers may have to rewrite parts to satisfy the publisher. Games like Baldurs Gate 3 had an early release and then added to.
Beta testers are used either paid or from fan feedback.

I had the animation program Muvizu years ago and would send reports in.

CD Projekt who had a good reputation with ' Witcher ' totally fucked up releasing bug ridden Cyberpunk which I was dying to buy but for some reason hesitated.

Billions wiped from share value. How they never went under baffles me. Possibly it was all a capitalist plot as the gaming industry is number 1 for hedge funds to drive up, down or around the town.

Digital ownership has made the buyer (gamer) a total mug.

Billions wiped from share value. How they never went under baffles me. Possibly it was all a capitalist plot as the gaming industry is number 1 for hedge funds to drive up, down or around the town.
Wasn't the development at least partially government funded? I remember them getting some grants to work on the game.

Wasn't the development at least partially government funded? I remember them getting some grants to work on the game.

Yes, I've read that. With CD Projekt having a fair amount of cred the Polish gov invested. May be a big tax scam, or CD P is run partly by the state.
Anyway Cyberpunk had playstation bin it and compensate their buyers. The game got ribboned because of many flaws. Even ridiculed as the driving was atrocious.
But somehow they have stayed afloat.

No way will I buy 76 even if a kind retro action is taken to develop some kind of single player plotline

Back