Ideas for new Fallout threats

there's still a need for another species of orc-likes for the East Coast, if we don't want Super Mutants there...
I think the Pitt’s Trogs could make a fine orc-like enemy for the east coast. Radioactive industrial waste could’ve contaminated various rivers along the east coast, not just the Ohio. They don’t have to look like Pitt Trogs either, Tolkien-esque orcs already look like deformed mutants (in the films at least). This could also factor into the whole Project Purity thing. Now you’d be helping put an end to the source of this mutant scourge, instead just ensuring that a couple homeless guys get free purified water.

And while we’re at it we can change the name from Trogs to something else, because they are nothing like the Trogs from Van Buren. I don’t even think they’re sensitive to light.

I think the Pitt’s Trogs could make a fine orc-like enemy for the east coast. Radioactive industrial waste could’ve contaminated various rivers along the east coast, not just the Ohio. They don’t have to look like Pitt Trogs either, Tolkien-esque orcs already look like deformed mutants (in the films at least). This could also factor into the whole Project Purity thing. Now you’d be helping put an end to the source of this mutant scourge, instead just ensuring that a couple homeless guys get free purified water.

And while we’re at it we can change the name from Trogs to something else, because they are nothing like the Trogs from Van Buren. I don’t even think they’re sensitive to light.
I don't think the name has to be changed. If anything, I would be more amenable to changing the design of Van Buren trogs.

Hello all,

I would like to hear people's suggestions for new threats to the wasteland that are on par of that of the Master and his Super Mutants, the President and the Enclave (original, not FO3 version), Dr Presper/Limit 115/B.O.M.B.001, or the Calculator and its robots.

Please some original ideas and not scenarios in which the previous organizations, individuals, or computer can become a threat again.

Any plans/ideas on what would make the new organizations/individuals a threat would also be nice to read.

I've always thought it'd be cool to see a foreign invasion force. Surely every country in the whole world wasn't nuked back to the stone age. Felt the fallout (no pun intended) sure, but not blasted away. I'd like to see a faction from a country or countries that perhaps wasn't affected so greatly and wasn't on either side of the capitalist/communist conflict, maybe united and formed into a post-war new country before the NCR or a united force that wants to invade the remains of America for their technological secrets and advancement no matter what faction or group of people that get in their way.

I want Mexico to invade the NCR with Raul as president riding on a giant liberty prime robot with a sombrero.

((This isn't so much a new faction as what a likely established faction should become in the future.))
for a Fallout New Vegas sequel the Great Khans allied with the Follower's of apocalypse would form a very powerful faction of survivalists and those who study pre war tech. by settling in the Pacific Northwest away from the NCR they become a faction that's a threat very quickly.

while despite them having negative feelings as a faction towards the NCR they don't have any real causus belli for war and have maintained a truce. Their trade routes via their infamous ability to freely make chems, explosives, and ammo have begun to warm relations and form a trade agreement with the NCR as well as expanding influence within the NCR via the gun runners.

For the Deep South I would love to see new Orleans in Fallout. Swamp folk, Gators, a city that managed to be raised above sea level by a by product of nuclear annihilation. The Dixie Raiders would be a Mercenary ay within the South who target raided and slavers. Wearing often gray confederate uniform's they're engaged with a slaver Gang known as the Unionists.
The Unionists would fly the pre war American flag and often terrorize non locals and capture unsuspecting people and press them into slavery.

the Dixie Raiders flying the Tennessee battle flag Ie Confederate rebel flag would be a faction dedicated to wanting to end slavery in the wastes.

In Old Orleans several families of debutantes rule the valuable port and have dedicated themselves as the unofficial oligarchs of the city state. There they've created a civilized city state in the middle of the uncivilized wastes of swamps, farms, and ruins.

I've always thought it'd be cool to see a foreign invasion force. Surely every country in the whole world wasn't nuked back to the stone age. Felt the fallout (no pun intended) sure, but not blasted away. I'd like to see a faction from a country or countries that perhaps wasn't affected so greatly and wasn't on either side of the capitalist/communist conflict, maybe united and formed into a post-war new country before the NCR or a united force that wants to invade the remains of America for their technological secrets and advancement no matter what faction or group of people that get in their way.

I am not shooting down this idea but I see it more as post-post apocalypse, or rather post-post-post apocalypse. Something that would be happening once new nation states are forming.

I am not saying that there could not be any other nations on Earth after the war, remnants of old ones or new ones that have formed on the ruins of the old one like NCR, maybe in South America though I also played with the idea of a new Chinese Kingdom that formed in what used to be China and that is at war with remnant communists, bandit overlords, and warlords from former neighboring countries.
But most of these new nations would be 'confined' to their region, or content with just expanding to closer territory before launching an expedition to the former United States.
That they still lack resources including men as well as the means of setting up stable supply routes over such a distance.

I currently have been playing with the ideas for some new groups that could cause a lot of trouble or even endanger the lives of people in the region with their plans, using the lore of Fallout 1, 2, FNV, Van Buren, and some cancelled projects as sources of inspiration.
I am not sure if they are great like the Unity and the Enclave but I think they would work well as the next new 'bad'.
Beyond them you still have more 'local' groups having political or economical conflicts with another that make up the 'meat' of the scenario.

I am not shooting down this idea but I see it more as post-post apocalypse, or rather post-post-post apocalypse. Something that would be happening once new nation states are forming.

I am not saying that there could not be any other nations on Earth after the war, remnants of old ones or new ones that have formed on the ruins of the old one like NCR, maybe in South America though I also played with the idea of a new Chinese Kingdom that formed in what used to be China and that is at war with remnant communists, bandit overlords, and warlords from former neighboring countries.
But most of these new nations would be 'confined' to their region, or content with just expanding to closer territory before launching an expedition to the former United States.
That they still lack resources including men as well as the means of setting up stable supply routes over such a distance.

I currently have been playing with the ideas for some new groups that could cause a lot of trouble or even endanger the lives of people in the region with their plans, using the lore of Fallout 1, 2, FNV, Van Buren, and some cancelled projects as sources of inspiration.
I am not sure if they are great like the Unity and the Enclave but I think they would work well as the next new 'bad'.
Beyond them you still have more 'local' groups having political or economical conflicts with another that make up the 'meat' of the scenario.
I personally agree with Josh Sawyer on the matter of post-post-nuclear being cool and maybe even cooler than post-nuclear. I'm honestly more interested in seeing the fate of The NCR and the Midwest BoS than struggling to find water or food to survive.

I personally agree with Josh Sawyer on the matter of post-post-nuclear being cool and maybe even cooler than post-nuclear. I'm honestly more interested in seeing the fate of The NCR and the Midwest BoS than struggling to find water or food to survive.

Not disagreeing with you on that. I am not into survival games myself.
What I sort of what to say was that the 'sweet spot' of Fallout is the period in which the first settlements and groups have been established, and large nations start to appear but have yet to reclaimed large parts of the country.
And there are some some pre war remnants and dangers around that could be used as plot devices.

The moment the NCR has claimed the entire West Coast and is moving Eastwards while other nations have been expanding them (the Midwest BOS or other) and whatever would arise on the East Coast and these nations start to clash with each other, or other nations have grown powerful enough that they can launch expeditions to the former US to start searching for advanced technology and resources and getting in conflict about these with the local powers, the Fallout period is over.

Who says a post or post,post country would not be invaded by countries that were not obliterated in a MAD scenario. Maybe Denmark would sweep down from Greenland joining a rampage by French Canadians. Polar Bears who had bred with Grizzly Bears posed a threat. An unknown vault in Al Obama had embraced Marxist theory and sent out peacebots to enlighten the dimwits that constantly looked to the past.

The only idea that came close was something I had in mind for a Fallout set in Detroit which periodically gets attacked by bandits or soldiers from beyond the former Canadian border who are justifying their raids on the US pre-war annexation of Canada. They see it as justified payback.

The only idea that came close was something I had in mind for a Fallout set in Detroit which periodically gets attacked by bandits or soldiers from beyond the former Canadian border who are justifying their raids on the US pre-war annexation of Canada. They see it as justified payback.
I had an idea for a group of raiders from a vault very similar to this.

I had an idea for a Vault in Montana that was assaulted and hijacked on the day of the Great War by a squad of Canadian Resistance from Edmonton and their families. Upon sealing themselves in when the bombs fell however, they realized the Vaulr Dwellers they killed to get in were all dairy farmers, specifically selected to take care of the bovine stored inside the inner level which was essentially a giant artificial and reproducing grazing field as the Vault was to be a functioning dairy farm that could survive into the new world. The Vault was stocked with only 5 years worth of food rations as the Vault Dwellers were also meant to live off dairy products from their cows as well as their meat (the vault was packed with around 100, healthy bovine). Not knowing how to care for the cows properly, the cows die off from sickness, neglect, or abuse, and they’re forced to eat up the rations, after that, having to essentially raid the survivors above for resources using their Vault as a hidden HQ. This goes on for decades.

The mod Fallout Sonora does this pretty well for an early post-apocalypse game. It’s set way before Fallout 2 and has an invading Mexican army outpost. I wish they did more with them, but the concept is there.

Is that modern day America or ideas for Fallout ?
Fallout. But think about the whole damn thing about Brahmin Barons and Agri Barons of NCR. They are such blatantly displaying their Oligarch privilage that I would not doubt some even more shady group would operate behind the scene more ruthlessly.

C. Avellone was worrying for Fallout being too organized. Well I say let's just make it closer to GTA or Cyberpunk in 4th gen warfare stuff. Noir fic, a bit of slightly urban legend perhaps with heavy dose of high tech thrown around. Investigation, clandistine activity, maybe a bit door kicking, and lots of intrigues.

Fallout. But think about the whole damn thing about Brahmin Barons and Agri Barons of NCR. They are such blatantly displaying their Oligarch privilage that I would not doubt some even more shady group would operate behind the scene more ruthlessly.

C. Avellone was worrying for Fallout being too organized. Well I say let's just make it closer to GTA or Cyberpunk in 4th gen warfare stuff. Noir fic, a bit of slightly urban legend perhaps with heavy dose of high tech thrown around. Investigation, clandistine activity, maybe a bit door kicking, and lots of intrigues.
I think all RPGs are stealing bits from other games. Encased game uses bolts thrown on anomalies as in Stalker games. GTA developed well although my sons play it I never bothered as I am shit at the driving lol. Although the Witcher games were well received Cyberpunk was a disaster at launch so I am still yet to play it. I have no idea if older Fallout code is free for developers or licensed or policed by Bethesda but I do hope everything can be overhauled and new stuff keeps getting made. I did try Olympus but it crashed a lot so I abandoned it.

Rather a huge titular threat for only a select few that has meaning, what about the weird mysteries of the semi conductor filled 50's and the future like the past and future coming together. It's always a fight against 1 or 2 major enemy with morals but what about Comanche perspective? Like everyone's an enemy. Violence without reason. And the actual fallout of the war coming together with both warring nations weapons catching up to them.

Think of it like this example; You know game of thrones has the night king and the zombie thingies right? what if the main characters never beat them or allied together? and so most of the refugees flee across the sea and after a while even the sea begins to freeze leading yet to another last fight for survival when the zombies and their king comes.
It would be rather cool, there's the cut ending of new vegas with the Big empty experiments pouring out and chaos rules. But rather the overused ''experiment'' as if its deep maybe its just their time coming? why does it need to have an explanation? Just leave it at that.

Looking at Fallout antagonists:

Fallout: Army of genetically engineered Mutant Super Soldiers
Fallout 2: US Govt/Deep State/Military-Industrial Complex Types
Fallout Tactics: Robot Apocalypse (but more in a 50s style "Machine doing its task horribly right" than deliberate 80s Skynet machine malice)
Van Buren: Evil RPG Party
Fallout 3: Same as 2, but more CIA Black-Ops
Fallout New Vegas: Vast army of roman-inspired fanatic soldiers and warlords
Fallout 4: Mad Scientists with android infiltrators
Fallout 76: Out of control superweapon causing Zombiesque outbreak

Hmmm... what could stand out and fits the Fallout Universe's Golden Age of Sci-Fi mileau?

Here's an idea: Cyborgs and Bionicmen.

Fallout always had cyborgs and I think every Fallout game has a cyborg of some sort, but we never had Cyborgs take front and center. I feel cyborgs and psykers are kinda similar in that aspect - they are always around in Fallout, but they are just... there. Neat curiosities, the odd one-off, but never part of the main plot.

Aesthetically speaking, cyborgs easily stand out. Its not hard to make cyborgs stand out and we're all used by now to images of man and machine melded or even boltered together into one another.

Cyborg armies also provide an easy explanation to why the Big Bad's forces are dangerous. They're not mere men, they are more than men. They are stronger, faster, tougher, better than most humans, perhaps even super-human.

The Sorting Algorithm of Evil is easily satisfied as well: The weak enemies are the cannonfodder given bad cybernetics, while the elite enemies have top-of-the-line implants.

Cyborgs can pull overt as well as covert: Big metal arms for some, and subtle implants for others. That other guy on the hotel may be a cyborg stronger than two men, whose real nature is hidden above a bunch of cloned skin that makes him look 100% human.

If you want to make the cyborg theme apply to the player character, you can even the player BE a cyborg, or at least give him the option of starting as one, or becoming one. Cybernetics can even be customizable and modular, allowing players to repair and enhance them at will.

Perhaps cybernetics are even common in this region?

The Big himself can be a cyborg, or even someone beyond one. For example, a living program or computer virus - perhaps one that needs people to use cybernetics in order to allow a interface between Mind and Machine, thus allowing for total takeover.

Back