Is Fallout 4 bad?

As much as I'd like to just say it sucks and leave it at that, it could have been a decent game if it had had better direction and creative talent. There are parts of it that make me think those producing it tried to carry forward the good bits from New Vegas (the game acknowledges things like people having to farm and eat food unlike in Fallout 3; Fallout 4's faction lineup and endgame stretch almost feels like it's trying to crib from New Vegas' offering; etc.).

But it's still made by modern-day Bethesda, and Bethesda's Fallout offerings will never make sense as games taking place two centuries after an extinction event, because they just don't have any sense of how much the passage of large amounts of time affects everything (or they don't care), and they're also much too in love with creating extremely shallow wish fulfillment experiences. As such Fallout 4 is an exercise in being repeatedly punched in the face by stuff that is ridiculous, and it isn't worth engaging with as anything more than a brain-dead shoot n' loot.

Thanks quy I just made this question because me and my friend are making a mod that rerewite the whole game and bting to the table a new story and gameplay.Can I count on your support to tell me were I failed and help me meke it(if you want to help me of course)
PS:Bad joke now:if you want to help me of courier

I do not see any such thing happening, unless you're secretly sitting on a few hundred thousand dollars that you're happy to throw at a long and thankless project.

Compared to other titles in the same genre which are more focused? Yeah, it's pretty bad. It's one of those fun to play titles that drains the life out of you the moment you start asking questions about certain details. Faction motivations, in-universe logic, theme, etc. My precise thoughts lie with the review RPG-codex did for the title, and having recently played it I can say that without the advent of mods this game would have never survived into 2016.

It really sucks because Fallout has essentially become "<Most recent TES title> with guns." I don't know why Skyrim draws me in more than Fallout 4 despite being the same thing ... maybe I've just created a mental distinction between the type of gameplay I expect from each IP *shrug*.

Compared to other titles in the same genre which are more focused? Yeah, it's pretty bad. It's one of those fun to play titles that drains the life out of you the moment you start asking questions about certain details. Faction motivations, in-universe logic, theme, etc. My precise thoughts lie with the review RPG-codex did for the title, and having recently played it I can say that without the advent of mods this game would have never survived into 2016.

It really sucks because Fallout has essentially become "<Most recent TES title> with guns." I don't know why Skyrim draws me in more than Fallout 4 despite being the same thing ... maybe I've just created a mental distinction between the type of gameplay I expect from each IP *shrug*.

Maybe it's because the details you mentioned that are so jarringly nonsensical in Fallout 4 are less-so in Skyrim. That's been my experience, at least. There's still some dumb stuff like fresh vegetables in 2,000 year-old crypts, and the timeline is still somewhat janky, but the in-universe stuff seems to have been treated with much greater care in general to me.

It's pretty much minecraft for adults. That doesn't mean that it's not fun, I mean minecraft is fun but fallout is about more than just cool looking monsters. It's a narrative, a story, a theme. Fallout 2 was the best. Not only was their more choice but also an incredibly rich story and pretty funny(and often spot on) political commentary. Fallout 1 didn't have all of this this but it set the stage for F2. Fallout 3 was pretty much just a FPS. Fallout New Vegas tried to combine 2 and 3. I can forgive 3 because I see it as more as an experiment but can't forgive 4 given how good Vegas was.

It's more or less trash with a very few enjoyable moments. However the OST was amazing especially the Far Harbor OST.

I have never played Fallout 4 and I want to know if Fallout 4 is as shity as Fallout 3 or is good like fallout 1,2 and New Vegas. Remember that what qualify`s you to respond is that you played or Fallout 1 or 2 and understood the factions motivations.

Fallout 3 had some love cooked into it; maybe not enough to take out the saltiness of the water it was cooked in, but there was love.

Fallout 4 was a cash grab and not much more. They had to be a bit careful with 3; because they needed to not only garner enough old-timer support to have a stable financial base but also throw it out to the wilds of the masses. And it succeeded. Then New Vegas was made to squeeze a bit more cash and cement the old-timer support, now something more of just one pillar in a colonnade than a whole leg; and so by 4 they could ignore a lot of things to produce a beast that would give them the most cash.

And when it did do that job, it was taken out back and shot. It's Skyrim, with Guns, with Minecraft. It appeals to the biggest amount of people it can. And then it was basically dropped to the sidelines, shocked with some half-baked DLC and then prodded with stolen paid-mods and low-tier feel-good content to empty the wallets of those who just want to play something.

Which is a bit of a shame. Fallout 4 is a technical advancement. A lot can seemingly be done with the engine. The gunplay's better than any other Fallout. The capabilities have never been larger nor more powerful. And now its basically a mess; maybe a corpse that attracts a lot of flies and produces a lot of maggots and thus is still valuable to someone but it's not something to be proud of.

I have never played Fallout 4 and I want to know if Fallout 4 is as shity as Fallout 3 or is good like fallout 1,2 and New Vegas. Remember that what qualify`s you to respond is that you played or Fallout 1 or 2 and understood the factions motivations.
For what it's worth, I'd suggest "Mad Max" over Fallout 4. While it's not a game that will leave its mark on its time, it is still more polished than Fallout 4 in most aspects.
It is more beautiful, the combats have more punch, the map is huge (with various lands, which is nice), the dynamic weather is done well, the story is surprisingly correct and most NPCs have some originality. The crafting is very basic but well done, and there's even a very lightweight survival mechanic with water. There is a perk progression system with a more immersive mechanic to it and some very cinematic moments.
Only problem I have with it is the very bland soundtrack. But play Fury Road's OST and you are good to go. It can be too easy at some point too, but well.

Last edited:
If Fallout 4 was called "Boston: 2400" people round these parts probably would've loved it. Unfortunately F4 goes too far away from what made the classic Fallouts and F3/F:NV. It's "soul" is gone, if you will. All roleplaying mechanics and past lore are gone or masked over. A fun game, though, if you can get past all that.

It's bad 6.28, i.e. however you look at it. Ask for concrete points because I want my postcount numbers go up.

All you need to know is: It Just Works™

My first (and only so far) playthrough ended with Institute.
In a bit over 100 hours I've completed every sidequest, got all collectibles and played a bit in settlements. When I got the ending I've asked myself: "Have I even accomplished anything?".
After each playthrough in all previous games I felt like I've accomplished something, but after completing FO4 that feeling was absent.
I think I could give it another chance (even if only for Kill Everything run) after getting Nuka World and Far Harbor, but even on sale they cost more than Season Pass (and I'm not gonna pay for Workshops).
So, maybe it's not the worst (I've played Bos for an hour and couldn't go further), but it definitely lacks something that made previous games something special.

BOS doesn't count anymore, tbh I disowned it many years ago. It is a Fallout game but it shouldn't be considered as one. It's the reason why I never mentioned it in my bio or anything. I just forgot about it. That's also why I don't compare it to another Fallout game. Fallout 4 is the worst imo. Not worse than BOS but as I said, that's out of every list for me.

It's underwhelming with consistently half-baked plots that are regulated to "shoot" or "Speech."

All people respond to your statements the same way too.

Back