Jim "NMA should shut up about Bethesda" Sterling hates 76

He himself admits it in the video, "I liked the changes in FO3, didn't like the changes in FO76".
However, that really has no impact on whether he still thinks that "NMA should shut up about Bethesda". He can enjoy Fallout 3 and still have had a change of heart about his article.
As an example, let's say that I happen to think Belgium is a garbage country that has made no useful contributions to society. However, a bunch of people from the website "No Waffles Allowed" love Belgium, and think that Belgium is amazing. I am annoyed by their positive opinion, and write about how NWA should shut up about Belgium, and how they should go kill themselves instead. However, over time, I start to realize that maybe NWA isn't so bad after all, even if I still hate Belgium personally.

TL;DR: Liking something does not mean that one hates everyone with a different opinion.

The reasons why Jim criticizes NMA in that article haven't really changed. He still likes the changes in FO3 and there are still people here who think FO3 wasn't a Fallout game, in fact I'm one of them.

I would say he's now in a similar position as NMA was in that article. Someone who loved FO76 could write a similar article today, to criticize the people who didn't like the changes in FO76 and could defend the game just like Jim did. Again, whether or not a change is good or bad is totally subjective.

Last edited:
I don't think Jim had actually played the original games prior to Fallout 3. I think he enjoyed Fallout 3 at the time like most of the mainstream media and decided the original fans we entitled crybabies because the game he liked was "great".

I don't think Jim had actually played the original games prior to Fallout 3. I think he enjoyed Fallout 3 at the time like most of the mainstream media and decided the original fans we entitled crybabies because the game he liked was "great".

That's very likely. He was 13 when Fallout came out, so he would not possibly comprehend what made Fallout special at the time, because in order to do that one would need to have a general knowledge about its contemporaries and other games that had come before it. I don't know if he ever played the original games, if he did, it was possibly much later and I bet his reaction was similar to other Millenials who played them a decade or more later, "Meh, boring".

The language he used in that article sounds very much like a fanboy trying to defend his beloved game and bark at people who didn't like it. I know those types very well.

Pretty much. NMA itself has changed a bit over the course of 8 years, dunno why someone like Jim can't have their mindset change. I think quite a few NMA members played Fallout 3, enjoyed it and then played NV and changed their minds about F3. Should we hold that against them? No we shouldn't, opinions change and it seems like Jim's did.
NMA changed over 8 years, and we can come by and see the change.
But nowhere I see a change like that from Jim. I mean, if he really changed his mind, what is stopping him from simply saying something like "I can now understand NMA" or "I might have been wrong in the past about fans that complain about change in Fallout" or any other thing like that.

If he changes, then the only way of viewers to know is if he explicitly says so. Otherwise we have to still take his previous words to heart and believe them.

NMA changed over 8 years, and we can come by and see the change.
But nowhere I see a change like that from Jim. I mean, if he really changed his mind, what is stopping him from simply saying something like "I can now understand NMA" or "I might have been wrong in the past about fans that complain about change in Fallout" or any other thing like that.
Well, remember, Jim isn't a Fallout youtuber l or even someone who creates a lot of fallout content. Instead, he's a general gaming youtuber who makes controversial statements a lot. That article was not especially special to him, and I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't even remember it. The article was only special to us because we were mentioned in it.

He would still refer to something like I posted before. He always ranted about not only NMA but everyone who so said something bad about Fallout 3 in comparison to the classic games (or so people kept talking about it in the past).
If all of a sudden he changed his mind (specially after he is feeling the same as classic Fallout fans felt), he would definitely not miss a chance of babble about it.

Also in that video... His argument about how him saying Fallout 76 changes are bad and it is a different situation from Fallout 3 changes, is that he liked the changes of Fallout 3 compared to the classics but doesn't like the changes of Fallout 76. He really says that it is different because exactly that (he likes them in one but doesn't like them in the other).

It doesn't sound like he changed his mind at all from his own words, to be honest.

I don't even have an opinion on him or his videos, I think in total I watched maybe 2 videos of him (I don't like to watch stuff on youtube). But he is very clear in that video that he didn't change his mind about the changes from Fallout 3.

He's not consistent with open-world games. He derides Ubisoft games for being formulaic but historically gives a strong pass to Bethesda, even though they remove features and for lack of a better phrase dumb down their products. I suppose you need to be really passionate about a franchise to notice these changes, but at least Ubisoft uses engines that aren't held together by saliva and prayers.

Once studios try to dip their toes into the proverbial 'games as a service' pool Jim goes from cute Pomeranian into lumberyard Doberman.

He's not consistent with open-world games. He derides Ubisoft games for being formulaic but historically gives a strong pass to Bethesda, even though they remove features and for lack of a better phrase dumb down their products. I suppose you need to be really passionate about a franchise to notice these changes, but at least Ubisoft uses engines that aren't held together by saliva and prayers.

Once studios try to dip their toes into the proverbial 'games as a service' pool Jim goes from cute Pomeranian into lumberyard Doberman.
I'm guessing he gives Bethesda a pass compared to Ubisoft may simply be because of the amount of games Ubisoft releases. Ubisoft releases roughly two games a year, both with the "Ubisoft formula". Bethesda's appears to release a game every couple years, with maybe some Skyrim re-release here and there. Fallout 4 was Bethesda's last big release that they developed (Doom and the like were published, not developed by them) and that was in 2015. Since then Ubisoft's subsidiaries have developed 33 games, their big ones with the "Ubisoft Formula", so I can see where Jim gets tired of it in comparison.

Are Bethesda games formulaic? Yeah, probably. But their releases are spaced out long enough that you don't get bloated with games and as such, the average joe probably won't notice. The fanbase and places like NMA notice because we focus on them, for better or worse. Ubisoft bloats their playerbase with games and the more similar they are the more obvious the lack of creativity there is.

It really had nothing to do with spaced-releases, this might be true of Star Wars, but for interactive experiences it's much different. Circa 2011 it was mostly Bethesda spear-heading single-player, open-world experiences. Now that the market is saturated you need to really prune your game's experience so it doesn't appear mundane and generic. The market has punched a lot of holes in Bethesda's formula, since now I'm shifting my attitude and asking whether I'm better off playing a grounded open-world shooter like Wild Lands versus Fallout 4 or 76.

It's easy to get into the pluralities of all this, but ultimately when you try to taper your game's experience around heavy shooting/combat you need to be aware of the market and whether the experience they provide is better than yours. Personally, if you dilute the core aspect of your experience (choices and consequences) in favor of combat, you come out behind competing games that are just solid combat games with ok stories. You end up on the fence with a mostly average combat system with an average story.

Last edited:
Is it just me or does the whole Jim Sterling flip flop "still take me seriously while a jam a foot in my mouth" thing just reek of the kind of crap one tends to see in a WWE wrestling narrative.

Bad guy=heel, good guy=face, and the dumbass that thinks its all real=the mark.

I believe it's called Kayfabe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayfabe

I have seen plenty of Mr. Sterling's videos and read some of his articles. He's well worded, however I often find myself disagreeing with how he rationalizes some of his positions. Don't get me wrong I do agree with him every so often, but I never considered him a valid form of information to make a determination from.

He is a caricature of a jester. One shouldn't take his writting seriously. Better to just let them poke as sometimes they find something amusing.

Is it just me or does the whole Jim Sterling flip flop "still take me seriously while a jam a foot in my mouth" thing just reek of the kind of crap one tends to see in a WWE wrestling narrative.

Bad guy=heel, good guy=face, and the dumbass that thinks its all real=the mark.

I believe it's called Kayfabe. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kayfabe

I have seen plenty of Mr. Sterling's videos and read some of his articles. He's well worded, however I often find myself disagreeing with how he rationalizes some of his positions. Don't get me wrong I do agree with him every so often, but I never considered him a valid form of information to make a determination from.

It's not fun if you don't pretend it's real.

:(

Huh. Never knew Jim said that. Kinda sad.

I actually quite like his videos, but I think he's always more emotional than rational. I don't remember him ever referencing a GURPS/D&D game, he's more of a AAA/Steam guy who has admitted he's not very good at video games. Fallout 3 sounds like a game right up his lane, and I doubt he's played either of the originals or ever had a beloved series of his suddenly shift gameplay genres, so I'm not surprised he's got no sympathy for the average person on NMA.

Granted, that's an old article and I do remember him making an entire video about how he got disillusioned with one of his beloved franchises (Dynasty Warriors?) so it would be weird if he still had the same opinion. Weird but not unexpected, knowing him.

Oh, and most of his beef with 76 seems to be no NPCs and old mechanics not working in an online game, totally different than a genre shift between F2 & F3 (and the writing issues would go over his head, I think).

Ultimately I think he has too little understanding of the whole Fallout franchise or the reasons behind NMA hating on Beth so much for his opinion to make any difference to me.

NMA did develop something of a reputation for vigorously dismissing FO3 before much substantial gameplay was shown to the public, mainly based on criticisms of early reveals and Hine's puffery. The fact that those criticisms turned out to be almost entirely well-founded did little to undo the reputation of NMA as a hive of rabid fanboys determined to see FO3 fail.

Sterling really wasn't doing much here other than amplifying a well established matter of fact that everyone here was merely bitter about the move from turn-based isometric*. This is not a very peculiar or unpopular opinion from Sterling, as wrong as it is, so I suspect that there can have been little to make him reassess it in the meantime.

(*They often were of course, but on the reasonable basis that it utterly sacrificed any possibility of tactical combat in favour of frenetic ammo wastage or cheesy V.A.T.S. kills.)

He was pretty pissed about Dynasty Warriors 9 and went on a rant about how they fucked the franchise by going open world. So like how a lot of people criticized Fallout 3 for going from isometric to FPS.

But the funniest part is that Dynasty Warriors gameplay didn't changed in 9, you still pretty much mow down armies of soldiers, just on an open world now. Still didn't stopped him from going on a tirade and now he looks like an hypocrite, honestly.

I do not know who this guy is because I do not follow youtubers normally, but I found his article pathetic.

Like....NMA is a small forum, but not a super obscure forum, is mentioned several times in the bible, but I never had need to sign up here before.

You see, Bethesda forum, back in 2013 was a nice forum (especially the Elder Scrolls section). But suddenly it looks like someone opened the pandora box and released all the Bethestards there. You know the type:

- say they played Fallout 1, but they do not know how to be specific about any part of the game

- say that those who prefer the old ones are nostalgic

- can not speak well of Fallout 3 if it is not comparing with NV and decreasing the latter

And many other things. To use an NCR ranger´s avatar or something like that was to ask to be branded as an enemy there.

Still, it was ok I guess. Then came out Fallout 4 and it was impossible to complain about the game there without those faggots take as a personal offense.

I buy the game, and unlike many of you, I do not think it's a good game, bad fallout. I just think it's a bad game, period. It's f* awful :-?

And I could not even express my displeasure in the official forum. That's when I made my account here, where I could have a free opinion (and this is also true for those who LIKE Bethesda´s Fallout, at least at the time in which I am here.)

And a fat idiot comes from me to say that even here you can not complain about this horrible company? Well, fuck him. No, NMA should NOT shut up about Bethesda.

I hope he chokes with the Bethesda balls buried deep in his throat

I hope he chokes with the Bethesda balls buried deep in his throat
Ehh, I don't think he's got their balls in there anymore. He mentioned in the TotalBicuit podcast a few days ago Bethesda are a more inept, clumsy Ubisoft now what with them jumping on the live service train and considering how low he thinks of Ubisoft, that's saying something.

Ehh, I don't think he's got their balls in there anymore. He mentioned in the TotalBicuit podcast a few days ago Bethesda are a more inept, clumsy Ubisoft now what with them jumping on the live service train and considering how low he thinks of Ubisoft, that's saying something.

Goof for him. Defending these companies that do not give the least for you, brings nothing in return.

Back