Mass Effect Andromeda lackluster dialogue

Some more dialogue stuff:

The VA work is pretty terrible, though. It doesn't match the setting at all and a lot of characters lack the 'intimidation' factor.

- The Krogan companion sounds like a complete pussy compared to Grunt or Wrex.
- Pee Bee Asari companion is essentially a Sera 2.0.
- Female Ryder lacks the 'commanding' aspect that Jennifer Hale brought to female Shepard.

The worst part about this is that there's so much fucking chatter no matter what you do. During the first segment in that video I linked, you've got fucking Pee Bee making comments after every single thing you do, the Ship's AI spoon-feeding you information as simple as "press the button to activate a droid to clear an obstacle" (literally a retard check), and Ryder asking obvious questions.

What were they fucking thinking?

"Peebee?"

"Back here. I don't bite."

Cringy dialogue. Also I just can't take the name Peebee seriously.

Okay, what the fuck is wrong with her face?

DKR2K1Cme6yqY.gif

This face suggests to me that she's either shit scared of what's happening, realised she really needs the bathroom at that very moment, or she is in fact tripping big time on space 'shrooms.

Probably all three actually.

I'm so glad that the "dodge(?)" gif has been posted.

The facial animations in this game are terrible.
The Asari (who are canonically meant to be attractive for reproducing) look fucking ugly.
Then they added crafting about 6 years too late.

I'm so glad that the "dodge(?)" gif has been posted.

The facial animations in this game are terrible.
The Asari (who are canonically meant to be attractive for reproducing) look fucking ugly.
Then they added crafting about 6 years too late.

I've NEVER found the Asari attractive and am hoping for some boring human options this time around. I don't play ME as a Space Alien Sex Simulator.

I've NEVER found the Asari attractive and am hoping for some boring human options this time around. I don't play ME as a Space Alien Sex Simulator.
But they're meant to be. It's stated in game. They even go so far as to hint that they may mess with other people's minds to appeal more to them.

I don't play it as a "sex simulator", I just think it's stupid having Peebee look like a retarded blue frog. But hey that's just my opinion.

But they're meant to be. It's stated in game. They even go so far as to hint that they may mess with other people's minds to appeal more to them.

I don't play it as a "sex simulator", I just think it's stupid having Peebee look like a retarded blue frog. But hey that's just my opinion.

One of the sex scenes with Pee Bee will have her leaning over into the PC's ear and gently whispering: "this is my swamp."

Eh, that's just the main quests. The Shadow of Revan is when the Emperor decides you're his archenemy not the Jedi Knight and Sith Warrior quests.

There is a question of why the Alliance why would put the bounty hunter or the smuggler in charge. I don't see the Republic being too thrilled about putting my DS Bounty Hunter in charge. "Lets put the amoral, mass murdering mercenary in charge. What could possibly go wrong?"

In chp 12 of kotfe Satele and Marr telling you need to transcend beyond the light and the dark side by creating a new force weapon to defeat Three Dog. Which is promptly forgotten about in the next chapter.

There is a question of why the Alliance why would put the bounty hunter or the smuggler in charge. I don't see the Republic being too thrilled about putting my DS Bounty Hunter in charge. "Lets put the amoral, mass murdering mercenary in charge. What could possibly go wrong?"

In chp 12 of kotfe Satele and Marr telling you need to transcend beyond the light and the dark side by creating a new force weapon to defeat Three Dog. Which is promptly forgotten about in the next chapter.

I maintain a large part of the resulting campaign can be summarized as Lana having a serious crush on your character.

:)

No, I'm just bitching because I don't think they're very attractive in the lowest common denominator fanboy way.

The first Mass Effect, while not the best RPG, much less combat sim, had a interesting setting and decent story that could lead to interesting developments and situations.
Also the universe was a very rich one, with TONS of races, planets, societies and politics.
The best of all, this universe is entire interconnected, so you could go full crazy on anything of this.

Unfortunately in the middle of ME2 the main writer, Drew Karpyshyn, was replaced/fired/left the boat.
And worst, he left AFTER he write almost the entire setting, with Marc Wallace finishing the rest and changing what he thinks needed to.
While Karpyshyn isn't the most proeminent nor inventive writer of our time, he was the lead writer who had to work with other 5 writers responsible for different worlds in the game and was responsible to make sure the style was consistent across all different areas.

Wich he succeeded.

There's a problem when you switch or replace main writers in a game that it's universe is heavily dependable of the writing and story: the substitute may not have the same ideas of his predecessor regarding the plot and had to board the train already running; even if he has the same ideas, he needs time to know the - some - already developed characters, locations, factions, races and politics.

It's blatant the change of some characters and locations in ME2, like they have dual personalities or are suffering from psychotic disorder.

But he create the setting, the most proeminent characters, and made sure the politics of ME and some locations were consistent across the game.
It's like Avellone writing the entire story of FNV and then, when the game entering production, is replaced by someone entirely unknown to Sawyer, Gonzalez, Staples and all the crew.

Mass Effect Andromeda suffered the same fate: the lead writer left the house AFTER the story and universe was almost finished and the game was entering production stage, with a new writer.
Of course this will not be good or it will cause bad interference in the story.
If you want to see this in action, watch World War Z, the film suffered from this: until the plane arrive at South Korea is one writer, after they travelled to Israel is another writer and in the middle of the final section of the movie they changed writers and rewrite the script AGAIN!
The result is a unstable main character and the movie pace is deeply affected.

Wich is a shame, because there is a shortage of fantasy sci-fi RPGs or even good fantasy sci-fi games in the market.
Or CoD in space is what it's considered "sci-fi" now? :yuck:

I never found the first Mass Effect to be particularily interesting or well written and the story was pretty weak in general. You gotta know you aren't exactly reading cerebral material when the ancient eldritch god just gets defeatead by shooting at it a lot.
Gameplaywise it was also pretty mediocre, not just combat but also the slow pointless open world that they never did much with other than force you to go into cookie cutter planets with a tank to scan monkeys or gas valves

I never found the first Mass Effect to be particularily interesting or well written and the story was pretty weak in general. You gotta know you aren't exactly reading cerebral material when the ancient eldritch god just gets defeatead by shooting at it a lot.

Actually, it was a nice change of pace that you don't destroy the eldrtich god. It's killed by a bunch of other people while you're elsewhere.

Gameplaywise it was also pretty mediocre, not just combat but also the slow pointless open world that they never did much with other than force you to go into cookie cutter planets with a tank to scan monkeys or gas valves

YMMV as I enjoyed the hard science approach that most of the galaxy was empty in ME1. Sadly, they made it all Star Trek planets in 2.

One of these days I may give these games another shot, but they just came off as Gears of War with C&C to me.

Eldritch gods aren't supposed to be killed by ships. Kind of defeats their whole porpouse. Just makes them into Space dragons. The fact that the "reveal" is just a weak plot twist after spending the game doing boring chorse and killing space spiders to capture the racist Space chiken made for a very uninteresting story from every angle.

The only thing that I really hate about Me, is that it offers no Science Fiction (anymore) but rather just 'Drama', shoot this, shoot that, rescue princess so-and-so ... always the same. Me1 had a few instanses of science fiction, but sadly not enough.
With Andromeda they had the chance to make some real science fiction, what does it mean if several species actually live together on a ship? I wouldn't be surprised if they will make everything from a human angle again. I wish they would have allowed to actually play as a DIFFERENT species, imagine if you had the chance to play as Assarai, Krogan and other races, with their unique philosophical views ... it might have been ACTUALL ROLE PLAYING even ...

Yeah ME was far from perfect and was more of a "sci-fi opera". But hey it was fun.

And then it was made even c00ler with the multiplayer! Endless hordes of Cerberus goons from their pre-established army.

Almost forgot those randomised loot boxes.

Eldritch gods aren't supposed to be killed by ships. Kind of defeats their whole porpouse. Just makes them into Space dragons. The fact that the "reveal" is just a weak plot twist after spending the game doing boring chorse and killing space spiders to capture the racist Space chiken made for a very uninteresting story from every angle.

If you missed the fact it's a Star Trek-esque universe then you should note the eldritch gods get beaten all the time by humans. It's a game about punching Cthulhu for his arrogance and I say that as a guy who writes Lovecraftian lore.

Yeah ME might be a fun action game, but it hardly is a 'deep' experience really. It could have been, if EA and Bio didn't fuck it up.

I personaly would have loved the theory, that they simply tricked everyone with releasing a 'crapy' ending on purpose, to change it later into the indoctrination of Shepard or something. That would have been REALLY awesome and showing the true potential of gaming as medium.

Back