Metro Exodus : The REAL Wasteland

What's your excitement level for the new Metro?.

• Over 9000.

• Meh.

• Neutral.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Well, Gamescom brought some new stuff on Metro Exodus (Apologies for the double post):

Not sure where the second video uploader got the demo footage from and the third is from IGN with commentary present.

I liked Metro 2033 and LL but as I've gotten older I'm not as excited for this one. I'll probably still end up getting it later on but not on release.
I also would not call this game "STALKER-ish" lol

This time, I'll first wait for some gameplay.
I loved the pas games (2033 and Last Light), and I think this one will be a cool one too, but I'd rather see some more details.

If my info is correct, Epic charges 12%, whereas Steam charges 30%. Which is probably why games like Metro & The Division 2 are moving there.
Somehow, I think the gains made by lowering cost will be lost simply due to selling less though...
But maybe this will force Steam to lower its rates on the long run.

I was going to jump ship from having bought the game through Steam to getting it from GOG, seeing as the redux versions of the first two games are on there.

Guess I'm waiting until 2020 to buy it now.

This whole situation feels really fishy.

Metro series is developed by Ukrainian 4A Games. It's published by Deep Silver, subsidiary of Koch Media. Couple months ago Koch Media (along with Deep Silver) was bought by THQ Nordic and is currently it's sister- company. Both Koch Media and Deep Silver are both indenpendent in some ways from each other and THQ.

Agreement for Exodus' exclusivity was made between Deep Silver and Epic- indenpendently from Glukhovsky, 4A, Koch Media and THQ Nordic. So it's not that lower profit margin for devs that really matters- DS received "compensation" from Epic for this exclusivity.

If you dig even more you'll find out that one of the major stockholders of Epic is Tencent. Tencent is a chinese moloch that literally has a monopol on Chinese electronics market. They own MMOs, mobile games, web browsers, music apps, streaming sites and communicators and antivurus software . Tencent is also involved in "helping" non- Chinese devs in making versions of their games for Chinese market- you can't legally enter Chinese market without them.
Recently they made couple of moves outside of China- some of their notable subsidiaries are Epic, Riot Games (League of Legends), Supercell (Clash of Clans), Grinding Gear (Path of Exile) and MiniClip (flash games). Last year they also entered partnership with Ubisoft and got a large chunk of their stocks during Vivendi's unsuccesful takeover of Ubisoft.

I fear that while Deep Silver is safe with the "compensation" they received, 4A will get a hard slap on their pockets.

It's been publically stated it was Koch Media who went along with this.

It's as if players protested merely out of the necessity to install yet another launcher, and not also because said launcher are feature incomplete and just plainly inferior in almost every way to its main competitors :lol:

If my info is correct, Epic charges 12%, whereas Steam charges 30%. Which is probably why games like Metro & The Division 2 are moving there.
Somehow, I think the gains made by lowering cost will be lost simply due to selling less though...
But maybe this will force Steam to lower its rates on the long run.
Still kind of dumb decision considering Steam already have bazillions of paying customers waiting to throw money at them through it, and even if they're not exactly okay with having to pay 30% cut for Steam, they could've also release through GOG and it's surefire way to sells millions of copy, instead of risking far less sales for having to only pay 12% cut. Or better yet, sell it directly through their websites and pay 0% cut.

And I doubt Steam will be forced to lower its cut in the long run, considering Epic's is still feature incomplete, where developers could opt-out of getting their games reviewed, and there will be no forums for players to discuss the games and engage with the developers "because they don't want toxicity" https://kotaku.com/the-guy-behind-steam-spy-has-been-working-on-epics-stor-1830890162
The Guy Behind Steam Spy Has Been Working On Epic's Store For Years

It’s one thing for a gaming company to announce a Steam competitor—andbelieve me, many have—but it’s something else entirely when the developer behind the world’s biggest game does it. Epic’s upcoming game store seems to have already gotten under Steam’s skin, but even before the announcement yesterday, one Epic employee spent countless long hours picking apart the behemoth piece by piece. As a hobby.

If you follow Steam closely, you’ve probably heard of Sergey Galyonkin. Since 2015, he’s been running Steam Spy, a site that scrapes publicly-available data from Steam profiles, analyzes it, and spits out statistics like approximate game sales, average playtime per game, and broader genre and tag trends. A change to Steam’s privacy settings put Steam Spy against the ropes earlier this year, but it’s still bobbing and weaving—albeit more clumsily—for the time being.

Few people outside of Valve are more intimately familiar with Steam’s inner workings than Galyonkin. He has always described the Steam data-gathering mainstay, used by major developers and publishers to take stock of Steam and justify their games’ existence, as a “side project.” His main gig? Director of publishing strategy for Epic’s new store, as it turns out. He announced yesterday that he’s been working on the project for “the past several years.” It didn’t take long for the “Steam Spy was literally a Steam spy” jokes to start rolling in.

“I think it’s funny,” Galyonkin said in an email to Kotaku. “It wasn’t my intention when launching or naming Steam Spy, but in retrospect, it makes for a great four-years-in-the-making joke.”

There is, according to Galyonkin, no great conspiracy here. He’s always been interested in data and game distribution, and that led to him both starting Steam Spy and joining Epic. Steam Spy has, however, taught Galyonkin, and now Epic, some valuable lessons that are being applied to the new store.

“I’ve learned a lot about how games are tracking [week] over week, how effective are sales (not as much as people think, exposure is more important), and more importantly, I got to talk to hundreds of developers to learn what they want from a digital store and what they like and don’t like about existing ones,” he said.

He noted that he could’ve done that last part without Steam Spy, but “for a person as introverted as I am, it’s way easier when other people are talking to me.”

This led to a slew of valuable insights that Galyonkin says directly informed the Epic store’s feature set. For instance, forums and other social media-like tools—a cornerstone of Steam—won’t be part of the package. Galyonkin said that this is because “not a single developer I talked to wanted forums” and “the toxicity it brings,” preferring to interact with communities on their own terms on platforms like Reddit and Discord instead.

“That’s why we won’t have forums on Epic Games store and will start with a ticketing system, so gamers can message devs about their problems instead of review-bombing them,” said Galyonkin.

Then there’s the issue of clutter, which often makes Steam feel less like a svelte 2018 video game store and more like a closet so stuffed full of games that if you tried to pull one out, it’d be like dislodging the wrong block from a Jenga tower. This is even an issue on individual game pages. Their “More Like This,” DLC, and bundle sections impact not just users’ ability to decide whether they want a game, but also developers’ ability to communicate what they’re up to.

“There was a problem with too many things competing for users’ attention on a game page and no way of ever reaching users unless a developer had its own account system set up,” said Galyonkin. “That’s why we’re trying to minimize the store presence on game pages and we’re adding a global Twitter-like newsfeed, so developers can update their players about recent changes to their games and their future titles. And they can have emails of their players if the players agree to it.”

Steam Spy’s greatest strength, though, has been its ability to pull back the curtain on sales data and other trends, paving the way for developers to make games they know people will like (or that nobody else has made before) and, hopefully, succeed. And while Epic’s store won’t have public-facing Steam Spy-like functionality built in, providing developers with as much information as possible is a big priority.

“We’re aiming to provide developers with as much information to make good decisions as legally possible,” Galyonkin said. “Contractually we can’t share other companies’ sales data—Steam Spy shows estimates—but we can share other useful stats, especially in an aggregated format. We use a lot of data ourselves and want the developers to have the same tools. And the partners obviously can share their sales information.”

The Epic store will launch with a “very barebone backend dashboard,” he said, but his hope is that “eventually it will give developers way more information about their games that Steam Spy ever could.”

As for Steam Spy, it’s not dead, but Steam privacy changes did a heck of a job of hamstringing it. Galyonkin’s not entirely sure what he’s gonna do with it yet, but for now, the project continues to move forward, though at a speed closer to a crawl than a sprint.

“The current algorithm is based on machine learning and is doing OK for tags and general trends, plus an actual PhD in machine learning is helping me with the next version,” he said. But, he said, Steam Spy has taken a back seat recently: “I’ve been so occupied with Epic Games store, I didn’t spend enough time working on Steam Spy in recent months.”

Really like this franchise.

The Librarians are amazing enemies. Hope to play this new one when I have (if I have) a new PC.

From what gameplay I'm seeing through vids, the game seems like something I would enjoy. I may either wait for a year (since Epic Game Store would not be region-friendly, price-wise, to my region) or probably get it on PS4.

Happy to be on the neutral side, tbh.

Nothing much to add to the discussion, otherwise. The series is decent, but I am afraid it's taking a turn to that place it shouldn't. Will just wait for a sale.

Has anyone here played it yet? I'm likely gonna wait for it to be on GOG or Steam before buying it. Metro can't catch a break. Remember when DS want pre-order DLC so 4A decided a different difficulty mode was a good idea? They apparently did that because they didn't want to make the normal game feel any different.

Happy to be late to the party. But lower charges and benefits of using UE4 are part of the appeal. The other is lack of written user reviews, i.e. developer and publisher won't read that their game sucks publically and users won't be able to express their disgust, protest and anger freely, Epic insists on using ticket system to write happy mails directly to the publisher. Which means no transparency between capitalist and customers. So if people want to read how really bad the next Fallout is this time, they have to move to No Mutants Allowed, for example.

User gets no benefits, no community functionality and no bells and whistles for downloading Epic Store Launcher, it's all made for developers convenience and they thought about devs first.

Dzdck76WkAEnLBN.png

A physical copy of the game. This whole exclusivity thing is becoming a bonafide fiasco.

Last edited:
Dzdck76WkAEnLBN.png

A physical copy of the game. This whole exclusivity thing is becoming a bonafide fiasco.
Absolutely reeks of last-minute decision and the option they choose is the instant bucks they can make instead of long-term investment of revenue and goodwill.

Back