New trailer for Ashes Afterglow released

You aren't going to get a lot of branching dialog trees with Doom mods. The scripting is already the shits to begin with without that. I'm sure people would love for some kind of stats or skills to influence that stuff but that is also outside the scope of a small Doom mod.

That is indeed one of the reasons.
Adding stat elements would require a lot of addition coding and perhaps rewriting of existing code.

But Jabberwok was talking about adding an RPG esque dialogue system that would not require stat elements to perform roll checks such as "convincing" or "lying" skills.

I do not remember everything at the moment that Vostyok told me but one of the problems would be the huge amount of 'markers' that would be required to add in more dialogue options and their outcomes.

Episode 2 already ran into some problems with the huge amount of markers that are used with Prosperity and the Roamers, especially when the player starts carrying out some missions for both sides.

Vos talked with me how he would like to prevent similar such problems from occurring with a more tight but perhaps simpler design (I hate using the word streamlined).
Not because we want to deprive players of options, but a lot of headaches come with adding a lot of dialogue triggered sequences, especially when they are variants of each other.

Yep. It's basically a Frankenstein's monster once you try to turn it into something besides Doom. Those markers really add up until you can hardly scroll through the code without getting a headache.

Hey Jabberwok,

I did intend to get back to your question and I also asked Vostyok about this topic.
He explained to me what some of the difficulties are, it has to do with both design and somewhat artistic vision, but there are also some technical difficulties.

I will have to look up what he wrote about it to me so I can give you a proper response.

Thanks! No rush. I'm definitely curious about all that, though, and especially the technical limitations, since I follow Doom modding, but don't know much about that side of it. But the mods that I have seen which add Strife-style dialogue are some of the most interesting to me. It's nice to have something to break up the demon blasting occasionally, and good stories are hard to come by. For that matter, I wonder if Strife itself was a bitch to write, or if its design facilitates that stuff more...

Last edited:
I could post some of the code for that stuff if it really interests you. Or you could download a mod and open it up and tinker like I did and then you will know.

It's easier than you might think.

wF2TWpYl.png

cXq2ei8.png

1Zcvw0sl.png

https://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?t=52710

Check out the last link.

Back