Newbs Casual Build

SpruceHalo440

First time out of the vault
My first post! So I’ve finished a few playthroughs of Fallout 1 on my MacBook thanks to the CE patch from GitHub, and as a dirty casual I decided to spend some time trying to plan a decently rounded character for ease of use since I’m still learning all the quirks and details of the game, so feel free to tell me what you think, or even what build you prefer for starters vs seasoned players.

Character - One Handed Build
Traits - Fast Shot, One Hander
Final Weapons - .223 Pistol, Ripper

Tag Skills - Science, Repair, Speech

S - 6
P - 6
E - 6
C - 2
I - 8
A - 8
L - 4

LvL 3 - Quick Pockets; -1 AP to open inventory during combat.

LvL 6 - Bonus HtH Attacks; -1 AP to melee

LvL 9 - Bonus Rate of Fire; -1 AP to Ranged Attacks.

LvL 12 - Action Boy; +1 AP

I spent some time reviewing a wiki and determining what perks were useful vs neutered or worthless, and ultimately I think this is a decent choice. The .223 pistol, ripper, and power fist all have the hidden armor penetration perk, making them useful in the endgame, figured if I chose the one handed Trait I could skip tagging weapons in favor of passive skills. Repair for the Necropolis Water Pump and BoS Power Armor, Speech and Science to bypass optional combat encounters such as with Luis and Harry guarding the water shed along with talking to Vree to get the Autopsy Report to talk down The Master. Finally I went with those perks specifically to help increase available moves while in combat, and if I dawdle around to level up, I can pick some of them multiple times.

This reminds me of when I was exploring The Glow a while ago and had suffered catastrophic irradiation, but didn’t notice until I tried to fast travel away back to The Hub to sell some loot. Kept dying and couldn’t figure out why, then I found out there’s a threshold for radiation poisoning that gives you a -6 Special debuff that will most likely kill the player after 24 hours. Thankfully because I was a pack rat I had the idea of consuming ALL the drugs in my inventory, giving the high of likes that even Snoop Dog would be jealous of, then taking some Rad-Away and a 6 hour Power Nap to let the Chems work, and they did. Waltzed out of The Glow like Atom’s own chosen messiah.

Back