Possible to bring back skills and traits?

Apparently Bethesda thought it was a good idea to ditch the Karma System in Fo4. Would that be possible to bring back in?

To be honest I was never a fan of the "Karma" system. I was always fully away of when I was doing something "bad". It be fine if it didn't annoy the crap out of you every time you did something like steal.

But instead was a silent statistic in the background that could effect outcomes.
And the only way someone could retrofit FO4 to incorporate the original skill/attribute system is to literally strip the game to the bones and rip out about 80% of the nonsense.

To be honest I'm surprised people are even modding for this game at all.

But instead was a silent statistic in the background that could effect outcomes.
And the only way someone could retrofit FO4 to incorporate the original skill/attribute system is to literally strip the game to the bones and rip out about 80% of the nonsense.
To be honest I'm surprised people are even modding for this game at all.

No. The "karma system" is still there. You just don't see it. All that someone would have to do is add a tab for it in pipboy.

No. The "karma system" is still there. You just don't see it. All that someone would have to do is add a tab for it in pipboy.

But would you really want to use Bethesda's clonky karma system? The system they implemented was more like a band aid than an actual "system"

This needs to happen....

My two cent would be to use skill the same way badass ranks were used in borderlands 2, every 10 points in a skill gives you .01 to a stat such as gun damage for the small guns skill or % of HP healed from stim paks with the first aid skill

So a 100 skill level you'd have 10% to given stat, after 100 make it 2 points per level.

Least that's how I would do it.

Could the special and perks at least be split up into a more traditional menu format?

Last edited:
It's still a waste of time. Why would anyone fix their shit? It's a waste of time with or without skill and traits.

This needs to happen....

My two cent would be to use skill the same way badass ranks were used in borderlands 2, every 10 points in a skill gives you .01 to a stat such as gun damage for the small guns skill or % of HP healed from stim paks with the first aid skill

So a 100 skill level you'd have 10% to given stat, after 100 make it 2 points per level.

Least that's how I would do it.

Could the special and perks at least be split up into a more traditional menu format?
Perks Menu is hardcoded, we can't add more perks to it for example, only add more perk "ranks" to the existing perk trees.
I already said before in a different thread that making skills for this game would require a team of good modders and years of work on it, since making the skills would require having to edit everything in the game and add a few more things to the game. From Combat to the Main Character, passing by each and every Item, NPC, Creature, Enemy, Dialogue, Quests, Containers, Sneak System, etc. Not to mention everytime a new DLC would come out that team of modders would have to redo that DLC like they did with the base game or it would probably crash the game before it even starts :aiee:.

It would be like cracking Fallout 4 to it's bare bones (leaving just the map intact, NPC and equipment and items appearance [mesh and textures]) and then make all the rest from scratch... And that would take many years of a dedicated team of very good modders working on it.

Like @Risewild said, why even bother?

On top of that, even if some modders managed to find a way to add traits and skills into the game, can they find a way to incorporate those so it can be used meaningfully? E.g skill checks and the likes, especially for the dialogues.

Okay, Far Harbor seemed wanted to return skills checks, but still! You get the idea. What's the point at all?

Like @Risewild

Okay, Far Harbor seemed wanted to return skills checks, but still! You get the idea. What's the point at all?

Well, it only checks your SPECIAL, since there's no skill to check. There're also three intelligence checks on the robot's ship, so there's nothing new at all.

Well, it only checks your SPECIAL, since there's no skill to check. There're also three intelligence checks on the robot's ship, so there's nothing new at all.
Still not enough. And like I've said, why bother trying to bring traits and skills back when you should also integrate them into the gameplay mechanics like skills checks and the likes, so those skills and traits aren't there just for the sake of it?

Perks Menu is hardcoded, we can't add more perks to it for example, only add more perk "ranks" to the existing perk trees.
I already said before in a different thread that making skills for this game would require a team of good modders and years of work on it, since making the skills would require having to edit everything in the game and add a few more things to the game. From Combat to the Main Character, passing by each and every Item, NPC, Creature, Enemy, Dialogue, Quests, Containers, Sneak System, etc. Not to mention everytime a new DLC would come out that team of modders would have to redo that DLC like they did with the base game or it would probably crash the game before it even starts :aiee:.

It would be like cracking Fallout 4 to it's bare bones (leaving just the map intact, NPC and equipment and items appearance [mesh and textures]) and then make all the rest from scratch... And that would take many years of a dedicated team of very good modders working on it.

thanks for the reply and explanation.... heh can we just port the map over to the new vegas engine? lol

Perks Menu is hardcoded,
Sorry for bringing this up again but never thought about it deeper.
Like hardcoded to the balls? We can't add perk to the poster, fine (even though it's the opposite of fine but let's pretend it's not). But we can't even write a certain condition to the perks like when you want to get Science! (/with certain rank) you must get Gun-Nut(/with certain rank)? Can't even block SPECIAL points to be available to level? Check perks in dialogs is out of the question too?

Sorry for bringing this up again but never thought about it deeper.
Like hardcoded to the balls? We can't add perk to the poster, fine (even though it's the opposite of fine but let's pretend it's not). But we can't even write a certain condition to the perks like when you want to get Science! (/with certain rank) you must get Gun-Nut(/with certain rank)? Can't even block SPECIAL points to be available to level? Check perks in dialogs is out of the question too?
To be honest I have no idea. I don't like Fallout 4 and even if I did I can't play it on this broken machine I have to use at the moment so I can't check for myself.
If you'd like I can try and ask my friends that actually make mods for Fallout 4 though.

Honestly, the only thing I want from Fallout 4 is the gunplay.

That and having the game be set in New England.

We can do it in some other engine, maybe the Mount and Blade 2: Bannerlord engine (To recreate Fallout 1 and 2 style overmaps)? We can even just make up a brand new story.

Back