Preparation thread: NMA Event: Fallout 22

Thanks man! I absolutely love the last one!

thank-you-very-much-thanks.gif

Yep now make sure you ask Crni for an future favors like that since it took him five minutes and he needs the love. Might want to clean that last one up a bit on the bottom though.

I will be contributing to this project I suppose. It might be nice to play all of the mods I have missed.

Happy new year! I'm a bit swamped but I will start this event in the early January! With a proper introduction. If someone could write an install guide for each game then that would be helpful, otherwise I'll do it.

Below is a work in progress attempt at writing the first post. Feel free to quote and edit things. Once it's done we can start by playing Nevada together!

Should we add some of the story mods for F:NV that we mentioned on the previous page?

What mods should we recommend for Fallout Tactics? Is it Fallout Tactics Redux and Equilibrium? Are there other mods that one should have? What's the easiest way to install mods? Is there a mod manager?

I also need help with mod recommendations for Fallout New Vegas! How do you install mods? We could also have different recommendations of mods based on what experience you want to have. Like close to vanilla with minor improvements or making it more in tune with the original games.

Feel free to suggest topics that should be considered while playing each game. My dream would be that we could write joint reviews based on our collective effort.

And please change the format if you like!

---------------------

3UegHvt.png

Welcome to Fallout 22! It's an event that will run during all of 2022 and where we play the Fallout games together in chronological order.
  1. Fallout: Nevada
  2. Fallout
  3. Fallout: Sonora (for those who speak Russian)
  4. Fallout: Resurrection
  5. Fallout: Tactics
  6. Fallout 2
  7. Fallout: Yesterday (the latest build)
  8. Fallout: New Vegas
Feel free to join in at any time and let it be known by reporting in this thread.

Post your impressions here while playing. We will then try to summarize our impressions into joint reviews of each game. Take some screenshots while playing and post them here. Try to catch references and other fun things.

Fallout: Nevada
  • Installation instructions to be found here
  • NMA review of it here.
Answer these questions in the thread while you are playing:
Questions Fallout: Nevada said:
The main quest doesn't appear to be that good. How would you improve it?
Could it be considered as a Fallout game?
Does it add to Fallout lore in a good way?
What does it better than Fallout? What does it worse
What's it's strengths and weaknesses?

Fallout
  • Fallout comes in different versions. Run either Fallout et tu or Fallout Fixt
  • What version do you prefer and why?
  • Does Fallout still hold up?
  • What's it's strengths and weaknesses?
  • Write a sentence that would catch the NMA perception of Fallout and that we could use for our Steam curator.
Fallout: Sonora (Russian only)
  • Installation instructions found here
  • Could it be considered as a Fallout game?
  • Does it add to Fallout lore in a good way?
  • What does it better than Fallout? What does it worse?
Fallout: Resurrection
  • NMA Thread. Download here
  • Could it be considered as a Fallout game?
  • Does it add to Fallout lore in a good way?
  • What does it better than Fallout? What does it worse?
Fallout: Tactics
  • Do you consider Fallout: Tactics to be canon? Motivate!
  • What do you think of the combat oriented gameplay compared to the other games?
  • Write a sentence that would catch the NMA perception of Fallout: Tactics and that we could use for our Steam curator.
Fallout 2
  • Play vanilla UP or RPU. Motivate your choice!
  • Is it a good sequel to Fallout?
  • What does it do good and what not?
  • Write a sentence that would catch the NMA perception of Fallout 2 and that we could use for our Steam curator.
Fallout: Yesterday (the latest build)
  • Thread with installation instructions.
  • What do you think of the current build?
Fallout: New Vegas
  • Links to the NMA review
  • What do you think of New Vegas as a sequel?
  • Should it be regarded as part of the Fallout canon?
  • Strengths and weaknesses?
  • Who did you side with?
  • What could be improved?
  • Write a sentence that would catch the NMA perception of Fallout: New Vegas and that we could use for our Steam curator.
  • @Agent BJ09 wanted us to create lore based loading screens for F:NV. Now is our chance to help him. For more information see here.

Last edited:
This is going to be fun. I do think Redux is the Tactics mod I use. You are actually forcing me to do what I was going to do anyway meaning a Tactics review lol.

Should we add some of the story mods for F:NV that we mentioned on the previous page?

I think this might be too ambitious- we should stick to minor improvements and maybe some cut content restoration.

Separate event could be made for just NV quest mods- we could start with New California (current version allows character transfer to NV) then go with Someguy's, Th3Overseer's, Salt Lake Stories, Tales from New Reno and other popular mods. And then finish with Frontier (either uncut or revised version).

I also need help with mod recommendations for Fallout New Vegas! How do you install mods?

Mod Organizer 2.
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/6194

It's very easy to set up and use.

Thank you! I also found this mod list which claims to be better than VivaNewVegas. I guess we will have to recommend them all?

Are the following mods included?

It's difficult for me to judge when it comes to F:NV mods as I'm not that well adversed. So please help me. We can recommend several different mod lists and setups as far as I'm concerned. What I want is kind of what VivaNewVegas does but I also want the experience to be as close the Fallout 1 and 2 as possible in regards to balance and artstyle.

Last edited:
I see you're omitting Fallout 3. It's just as well. I tried to play it last year and it started crashing to the point of being completely unplayable. The further north I went on the world map, the worse it got.

I don't own it nor do I want to own it aside from the occasional urge to try TTW.

Thank you! I also found this mod list which claims to be better than VivaNewVegas. I guess we will have to recommend them all?
That modlist was made by Sigourn, with the exact same username over at the Codex, but his username here is @Lucas9. You can ask him if you want. I remembered seeing his posts in a Codex thread for New Vegas mods; I remembered seeing him going to town with his load order, and he pretty much confirmed it in his guide front page:
What are the key differences between this guide and Viva New Vegas?
Scope and hand-holdiness. My guide is much bigger. It also demands more from its users. My guide lacks no major instructions, however, it is the user that needs to follow them to the letter. If you decide to skip them, it's on you. Expect no support from me.
In short; if you're willing to go an extra mile in modding the game, you can go with Sigourn's guide; otherwise, go with VNV. I stick with VNV simply because I don't want to put too much hassle into modding New Vegas. Not to mention it's also more performance-oriented, therefore I could play a lightly-modded New Vegas on a potato rig.

• I don't know about Sigourn's, but while VNV didn't include the CFWR in the main guide, it does mention it in the list of mods that can be used as a substitute to "Mods you should avoid" https://vivanewvegas.github.io/avoid-mods.html
  • Brave New World is FUCKING AWESOME. If you were around when Dracomies, the author for New Vegas Redesigned (I forgot what's his exact username here, probably the same, but nuked for some reason) went around NMA, asking for a suggestion for the upcoming New Vegas Redesigned 4, you'll know that BNW is pretty much NVR4. Unfortunately, it was rather a demanding mod so I can't play around with it ATM.
  • What I've forgot to mention in that thread, is that the majority of the mods mentioned there are also mods suggested by Viva New Vegas
  • I'm not sure what to say regarding FPGE, because I never really get the idea of playing a game after 'finishing' it.
  • Another one of the more demanding mod, but it seems it's pretty much stable and not THAT much of a hit to performance? Since even VNV included it in the main guide.
What I want is kind of what VivaNewVegas does but I also want the experience to be as close the Fallout 1 and 2 as possible in regards to balance and artstyle.
As far as I could remember, other than the aforementioned CFWR, there's also Vanilla UI+ that includes an option to apply the classic Fallout's fonts, but it was limited to only the Pipboy's interface. There's probably another UI mod(s) out there which went all out and changes all the font with the classic Fallout's, but I haven't found it yet. And while I'm not sure if there's any mods that changes all the UI into that of the classic Fallout's, there is a mod that changes the UI into the style of Tactics https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/34971/
I also remembered using a mod that rearranged the ambient soundtracks, allowing, say, Metallic Monks to play while in the Hidden Bunker. Unfortunately, the ones that I could find now is different from what I remembered using, some of them completely eliminates Inon Zur's OST despite the fact that most of them as has been made for New Vegas specifically was actually quite good.
In regards to visuals, other than weapons-related, I'm not sure if the classic Fallout's artstyle could fit in with the Gamebryo's appearance. There's that one mod that changes the Vault suit into the appearance of the classic Fallout's, but it was too uncanny for my eyes.
Finally, when talking about balance, there's the original jsawyer...I guess? But trying to use that in the landscape of New Vegas modding scene in 2020s would probably be an absolute nightmare, trying to make it work and compatible with everything else. You can probably use it if you're going down the extreme purist and only have that and that alone installed on top of the usual tweaks and bugfixes that needs absolutely zero compatibility. But if you're planning to use some of the mods suggested already, then you'd probably want to use JSawyer Ultimate Edition (JSUE) instead, for compatibility reason.

I think this might be too ambitious- we should stick to minor improvements and maybe some cut content restoration.
Good point!

Separate event could be made for just NV quest mods- we could start with New California (current version allows character transfer to NV) then go with Someguy's, Th3Overseer's, Salt Lake Stories, Tales from New Reno and other popular mods. And then finish with Frontier (either uncut or revised version).
Not a bad idea!

Mod Organizer 2.
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/6194

It's very easy to set up and use.

Thank you!

I wholeheartedly recommend Viva New Vegas https://vivanewvegas.github.io/
We're using that!

I see you're omitting Fallout 3.
Yes of course. Fallout: Tactics and New Vegas could be argued as being part of the canon but Fallout 3 just hasn't anything to do with it (IMO).

Thank you for this lengthy and informative post!

Can you point to where it says The Living Desert is included in Viva New Vegas. I can't find it. And can you install Brave New World on-top of Viva New Vegas?

@Atomic Postman did you do this marathon this summer? Can we include some of it in this event?

Great!

Below is the introduction to New Vegas. I've put some of our recommended mods there as well as some questions to ponder while you play it. It could be better structured I know and there are probably some additional questions to pose. If you feel inclined then quote and edit the shit out of it.

• The NMA review of New Vegas from 2010. Keep it in your mind while playing. What has been fixed by mods and what issues remain?
  • Play it vanilla. Use Viva New Vegas, IHeartNewVegas or tell us about your preferred mods! Mod Organizer 2 could be a good tool to use.
  • What do you think of New Vegas as a sequel?
  • Should it be regarded as part of the Fallout canon?
  • Strengths and weaknesses?
  • What could be improved?
  • Who did you side with?
  • What character build are you going with?
  • Write a sentence that would catch the NMA perception of Fallout: New Vegas and that we could use for our Steam curator.
  • @Agent BJ09 wanted us to create lore based loading screens for F:NV. Now's our chance to help him. For more information go here.

Can you point to where it says The Living Desert is included in Viva New Vegas. I can't find it.
It's right there, at the bottom of the Content 'tab' of the guide https://vivanewvegas.github.io/content.html

And can you install Brave New World on-top of Viva New Vegas?
Before the guide you can access nowadays, Viva New Vegas used to be a much, much bigger guide, probably close to the size of Fear and Loathing in New Vegas. Back then, there was a section of the guide for Audio. Since there was also the Character Expansions Revised back then, I installed the Revoice Only version of the mod, together with the recommended Audio mods. But since the old guide has been nuked, I'm actually not quite sure where among the recommended mods can we shove BNW. You probably need to get into their Discord, or even get in contact with Qolore and ask around if they could consider putting BNW into the mod, since the way I see it, due to how ambitious it is, BNW should be largely compatible with most mods out there, even in the current landscape of NV modding.

Guys! Thankful for some input on this below as a starting post for our event!

-Could it be structured in another way?
-Are there relevant information missing?
-Are there more questions to add that could be useful to our purposes?

------------------

168svRW.png

Welcome to Fallout 22!

It's an event that will run during all of 2022 and where we play the Fallout games together in chronological order.
  1. Fallout: Nevada
  2. Fallout
  3. Fallout: Sonora (for those who speak Russian)
  4. Fallout: Resurrection
  5. Fallout: Tactics
  6. Fallout 2
  7. Fallout: Yesterday (the latest build)
  8. Fallout: New Vegas
Feel free to join in at any time and let it be known by reporting in this thread.

Post your impressions here while playing. Give us some examples of gameplay, describe what you have played through. We will then try to summarize our impressions into joint reviews for each game.

It's encouraged to write as detailed about your impressions as you can. Use the questions from the questionnaire below. Take some screenshots while playing and post them here. Try to catch references and other fun things.

The Games

Fallout: Nevada
Installation instructions to be found here. That's also the place for bug reporting. NMA review of it here. Keep it in your mind when you play. Do you agree with it?

Fallout
Fallout comes in different versions. Run either Fallout et tu or Fallout Fixt. Tell us of your choice and motivate it!

Fallout: Sonora (Russian only)
Installation instructions found here.

Fallout: Resurrection
NMA thread. Download here.

Fallout: Tactics
Play vanilla or with Redux and Equilibrium.

Fallout 2
Play vanilla, UP or RPU. Tell us of your choice!

Fallout: Yesterday (the latest build)
Thread with installation instructions.

Either play it vanilla, use Viva New Vegas, IHeartNewVegas or tell us about your preferred mods. Read the NMA review of New Vegas from 2010. Keep it in your mind while playing. What has been fixed by mods and what issues remain?

@Agent BJ09 wanted us to create lore based loading screens for F:NV. Now's our chance to help him. For more information go here.

Questionnaire
Please post your answers to the following questions while playing the games. Some questions are only relevant to specific games.

-Going into the game what are you looking forward to?
-After having completed it what did you think of the game?
-What would you improve?
-What's your thoughts on the main quest?
-If old, does the game hold up in 2022?
-If not Fallout 1, does it add to Fallout lore in a good way?
-What's the game's strengths and weaknesses?
-What would you like to change in the game?
-What build did you use during your playthrough?
-What's your weapon of choice?
-Give an example of a good quest!
-What's your favourite location in the game?
-What ending did you strive for/get?
-If the game is on Steam then write a sentence that would catch the NMA perception of it and that we could use for our Steam curator.
-If the game is a total conversion mod: Could it be considered as part of the Fallout canon?
-Do you consider Fallout: Tactics to be canon?
-What do you think of the combat oriented apporach in Fallout: Tactics compared to the other games?
-What do you think about how the combat is implemented in Fallout: Tactics?
-Is Fallout 2 a good sequel to Fallout?
-Is Fallout: New Vegas a good sequel to the previous games?
-Do you consider Fallout: New Vegas to be canon?

Last edited:
If we are all fine with this then maybe we could launch the event on Monday? And start playing Fallout: Nevada.

• I want a banner on the front page!
    • How do I add that?
    • If clicked you should be taken to the right thread.
  • Where should I put the thread for the event?
    • In this subsection or somewhere else?
    • It will be a sticky.

Back