Project Van Buren featured in PC Gamer

Yes, but the impact of these total conversion games is fairly limited, in spite of the fact that they maintain a very good quality. I think the audience Fallout has now consists predominantly of the fans that started with this franchise after Bethesda took over, with great portion of them starting only after Fallout 4. I don't know the numbers and I might be wrong, but that's my impression of the fanbase these days. I think very small portion of today's audience played the classic titles, and even smaller would be interested in playing fan made titles based on the classics, no matter how good they are content-wise. I'm talking about those people who favor modern gameplay and/or graphics and simply refuse to play the classic titles because they're old, slow, hard and "ugly" (which is a legitimate stance, I mean 20+ yo games are not for everyone, that's fine).

These total conversion titles are made for those who can appreciate them, and I think the number of those people is very small compared to the whole fanbase to bother Bethesda.
Yeah we are talking a few thousand people tops that would even bother with this. Only legal fuck fuck games make it worth pursuing due to THE LAW.

Yeah we are talking a few thousand people tops that would even bother with this. Only legal fuck fuck games make it worth pursuing due to THE LAW.
So basically you're implying that a few thousand people shifting their interest towards the fan made project, such as total conversion mods and even standalone games made upon the classic titles, usually made under fair use which isn't against the law per se, is a significant threat to the studio that sells 10 to 30 million copies with each game? If that's what you're saying, then why is it that there's so many projects out there nobody ever cared about?

Nobody said they can't or shouldn't take down stuff they consider a threat. We're discussing why they apparently didn't do that in so many cases, and perhaps why they did so in some other cases.

So basically you're implying that a few thousand people shifting their interest towards the fan made project, such as total conversion mods and even standalone games made upon the classic titles, usually made under fair use which isn't against the law per se, is a significant threat to the studio that sells 10 to 30 million copies with each game? If that's what you're saying, then why is it that there's so many projects out there nobody ever cared about? That's what we're trying to discuss here.
I'm saying a few thousand people isn't worth your fucking time since you can just go make a real game and save years of your life wasted on worthless fucks that want free shit and then complain about it.

I'm saying a few thousand people isn't worth your fucking time since you can just go make a real game and save years of your life wasted on worthless fucks that want free shit and then complain about it.
Alright, I misread your point before, kinda assumed a great deal of sarcasm in it for some reason, my mistake.

Last edited:
Alright, I misread your point before, kinda assumed a different meaning in it, my mistake.

I support these projects but people need to move on from Fallout and start making more UnderRail if you know what I mean. Mutants Rising has been in development for how long because several people involved went on to actually work in the industry. What people want to make is not possible without great sacrifices. Those don't pay the bills.

I support these projects but people need to move on from Fallout and start making more UnderRail if you know what I mean. Mutants Rising has been in development for how long because several people involved went on to actually work in the industry. What people want to make is not possible without great sacrifices. Those don't pay the bills.
I agree with you, I think that if someone has the skills, it's far better for them to use those skills to move the industry forward, make something new, experiment, bring something innovative. I believe there's a lot of new ways RPGs in particular can be implemented these days, having the tech we never had, having decades of design-proving feedback and experience we didn't have before, etc.

Yeah I mean why waste time tinkering with a game from 1998 when you can just use Unity or something and go make one with plenty of documentation and support? By all means if you aren't living in a box and can afford to waste years of your life go ahead. Take this situation where Bethesda could come and shut it down leaving the project floundering even if it was 100 percent complete. Then they would have to repurpose it or just give up.

Back