Questions about FEV in Fallout 3

Lunawolf242a

First time out of the vault
In Fallout 1 and 2 they say the FEV Virus was developed by West Tek. So like in Fallout: POS why in Fallout 3 do they have Vault Tec having access to a top secret military virus created by another company?

Also the FEV Virus is said to incresae size and musculature by about 30%. This would give only 2.5m average height. So why do they have Behemoths in Fallout 3 which are like 15 metres tall? Any answer would he helpful.

Behemoths could have been a freak mutation, like with Harold. Maybe they were exposed to a higher concentration of FEV for a longer amount of time than normal Super Mutants?

Lunawolf242a said:
In Fallout 1 and 2 they say the FEV Virus was developed by West Tek. So like in Fallout: POS why in Fallout 3 do they have Vault Tec having access to a top secret military virus created by another company?
Why do many people think the Vault Boy is called the Pip Boy? Same answer.

Lunawolf242a said:
Also the FEV Virus is said to incresae size and musculature by about 30%. This would give only 2.5m average height. So why do they have Behemoths in Fallout 3 which are like 15 metres tall? Any answer would he helpful.
Because that's awesome. Or something.

Leon said:
Lunawolf242a said:
Because that's awesome. Or something.
Pretty much. Their (Bethesda's) official explanation is that Super Mutants grow larger and stupider with age (SM grew senile with age in the second game).

Technically, the supermutants in Fo1 totaled in at about 3.2m height and 300 kg of weight.

I try to ignore the existence of the Behemoths, as much as I can. It's a retarded enemy, who joins the Fatman in the Hall Of Retarded Ideas For Fallout Games.

Mikael Grizzly said:
Technically, the supermutants in Fo1 totaled in at about 3.2m height and 300 kg of weight.

I try to ignore the existence of the Behemoths, as much as I can. It's a retarded enemy, who joins the Fatman in the Hall Of Retarded Ideas For Fallout Games.

The 0 weight nuclear warheads added to my immersion. Really ;)

Back on topic:

I have no problem with FEV being in the capitol wastes - if its explained better. The tie would obviously be the pre-war Enclave which pulled the strings in government AND corporations (if you control govt, you control corps indirectly anyway).

FEV probably came to DC pre-war as part of their Vault "Social Experiments". Assuming of course that the Enclave controlled Vault Tek pre-war (which makes sense).

Gandar said:
(if you control govt, you control corps indirectly anyway).
Really? Apart from taxation/ licensing how much control does government really have over coporations?

Unless you're a military contractor, or a company set up by goverment to run a public service, isn't the reverse more likely to be true?

Ie, that coporations have huge influence on goverment? Through lobbying and campaign funding?

I find the idea of an American goverment controlling corporations like puppets on a string a bit far-fetched. It's giving the goverment a bit too much credit I think ;)

If you make Vault Tek a military contractor it probably could make a bit more sense.

k9wazere said:
If you make Vault Tek a military contractor it probably could make a bit more sense.

I think there is some implication of industrial military complex. Remember, that theme is part of the post world war II mindset. There was warning even way back then of government and corporate America hand in hand. That being said, it may be simply more like real life. Corporations controlling government and/or in the case of Fallout, perhaps Vault Tek's CEOs would be part of the pre war enclave. If you think about it, its a logical step. The Enclave's plan to prepare and survive a nuclear holocaust and the vaults go hand in hand.

There is a ton of room for anyone with rights to this IP to draw links between the various organizations. Back story like this made FO1 and 2 interesting. One of the dissapointments I had with Fallout 3 was the minimal exploration of Vault Tek's role in government. We do get one big indication that there is a link:

[spoiler:f90eac5e09]When you explore the museum of technology one of the exhibits is a prototype vault. Its actually almost an advertisement for it! Made me almost think like the pre war government was looking for good lab rats for their experiment ;)[/spoiler:f90eac5e09]

The FEV in Fallout 1 seems very different from Fallout 3. For one, the FEV was slightly modified by the Master, while I'd hazard a guess thinking Vault 87's program was just the base strain that probably mutated in its own bad way.

Besides, if the Vaults could gas their residents with psycho active drugs (as mentioned in the Fallout Bible), I don't Vault-Tec was beyond anything. If anything, a lot of the Vaults had a sinister nature. Like a Vault where only Children were put in.

So it isn't far off... and the Behmoths are just probably an unbridled advancement of the FEV.

Super Mutants - OK, still plausible, but Behemoth? No way in hell a human beign can mutate like this and still live \ maintain mobility. You imagine how big it's internal organs had to be. the blood pressure it would require, how much he would have eat to survive etc.? Without scientits to control it's growth there's no possibility for a monster like this to develop and survive. Two of those things would clean out the DC of people in no time.

I know Fallout ain't about beign realistic, but there ARE limits. And then there's Horrigan, but he was raised by a group of scientits, so it's a bit diffrent I guess.

As for FEV...I thought that there were VATS only in Mariposa and some samples in the Glow? Ah, hell, there could be more research facilities throughout the States. Anyway, the strain in Washington seem to be the worse part.

IIRC there should be a science check somewhere in a conversation with the scientist from the 'Those!' quest, where he mentions using FEV on the ants.
That's another one for the pile of where-the-hell-did-they-get-it.

Probably more to the story later to be released which involves vault tech being behind it all along.

Actually, Bethesda should have used that in the main story line.

Same damn discussion was actual when the first Godzilla movie came. No the bone would not bear him, he would collapse on his own mass.

Dragula said:
Same damn discussion was actual when the first Godzilla movie came. No the bone would not bear him, he would collapse on his own mass.

Because, well, that's what would happen. There are things that are plausible, things that aren't plausible but still fit the setting and things that are pure bullshit. Behemoth\Frank Horrigan belong to the third group.

Ravager69 said:
Dragula said:

Because, well, that's what would happen. There are things that are plausible, things that aren't plausible but still fit the setting and things that are pure bullshit. Behemoth\Frank Horrigan belong to the third group.

Which is why we conclude that Science! did it. :mrgreen:

To be technical.

Frank Horrigan wasn't a Behemoth.

He was a big super mutant, but he was also encased in a giant suit of power armor that also served as a life-support system.

That's a bit different than a giant super mutant who carries around a man-sized fire hydrant in one hand and a car door (that'd be big on a tank) on the other.

Don't forget that Frank Horrigan was also injected with a modified version of FEV by the Enclave, and he's probrably a cyborg, too. Horrigan is pretty crazy, he's a psycho Super Mutant cyborg in Power Armor that injects him with drugs and acts as life support. He could give two of those stupid "Behemoths" the trashing of their lives with his sword-sized knife of death.

I think Horrigan fits the setting as a Super-Soldier the Enclave created, the ultimate result of trying to make FEV-made Super Soldiers, although it's strange that they didn't try to make more of his kind - Maybe having another giant-sized motherfucker that could eat entire squads in Advanced Power Armor scared the hell outta them. Then again, they were just waiting until their project was ready, so it wans't needed.

Mikael Grizzly said:

It's much better if you think of Fallout 3 as non-canon if this is the sort of thing that bothers you.

Or you might hate the game. You know, either way is cool.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but this is a question that still has not been answered for me.
Is there any concrete answer to FEV's existence in Fallout 3 beyond the basic exposition provided ingame? As far as the game tells you, Vault 87 was an experimentation Vault for some modified strain of FEV (the EEP), however there is no explanation (from what I could discover) as to exactly why a Vault created by the company Vault-Tec houses FEV which was originally created by West Tek and eventually relocated by the government to the West Coast.

Did I miss something? Speculation aside (which is all that is contained in this thread) there doesn't seem to be any explanation for this. Am I overestimating Bethesda's knowledge of Fallout canon and just incorrectly assuming that they wouldn't be this stupid?
This is a very glaring plot hole for me and goes beyond your father's strange precognitive ability that allowed him to immediately assess the Enclave's intent upon the capture of the Jefferson Memorial, in fact, it even beats the whole "Hail." and "Steel be with you." fantasy jargon that sneaked into the BoS all of a sudden.

Eyenixon said:
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but this is a question that still has not been answered for me.
Is there any concrete answer to FEV's existence in Fallout 3 beyond the basic exposition provided ingame? As far as the game tells you, Vault 87 was an experimentation Vault for some modified strain of FEV (the EEP), however there is no explanation (from what I could discover) as to exactly why a Vault created by the company Vault-Tec houses FEV which was originally created by West Tek and eventually relocated by the government to the West Coast.

Did I miss something? Speculation aside (which is all that is contained in this thread) there doesn't seem to be any explanation for this. Am I overestimating Bethesda's knowledge of Fallout canon and just incorrectly assuming that they wouldn't be this stupid?
This is a very glaring plot hole for me and goes beyond your father's strange precognitive ability that allowed him to immediately assess the Enclave's intent upon the capture of the Jefferson Memorial, in fact, it even beats the whole "Hail." and "Steel be with you." fantasy jargon that sneaked into the BoS all of a sudden.

I would have to say Bethesda didn't do their homework on Fallout canon/storyline, and they just are stupid enough to ignore that.
Wouldn't really suprise me, considering how simplified oblivion was when compared to previous ones.
Yes, its a big plot hole, and makes me wonder if they even bothered to read some of the desing docs. or play the games through. Or even spend more than 5 minutes on the plot of the game. I bet they used the rest of development time to make "cool" headshot animations and "awesome" explosions. :evil:

Back