Questions about FEV in Fallout 3

One thing that is interesting is that in the Manual of FOPOS it was mentioned that Vault Tec also got their hands on FEV and were studying it in their secret Vault. (in the game this was never really mentioned, more that Vault Tec scientists were studying mutation and cures for it)

It seems to me that in a way Bethesda did not only rip of Fallout 1 and 2 but also the Fopos manual by bringing in another Vault where FEV research took place.

Frank in FO2 never confused me. He was a cyborg, ala Darth Vader, but Behemoth is just...ridiculous, oversized, and lighter than the air, copy-pasted [not]Super Mutant!

Perhaps the "Behemoth" is an Oblivionized term for "Super Duper Mutant" that was found in the covered remains of Mariposa?

Therefore, the "Behemoth" is indeed a Super Mutant exposed for a longer time to the FEV.

What I want to know is who or what exactly is the brains behind the Super Mutants in "Capitol Wasteland" It can't be the Super Mutants themselves, as none featured in the game were intelligent enough to pronounce multiple-syllable words without slowing down speech speed to consider each syllable individually. To believe that these lesser creatures were conducting precise experiments on people using the FEV is idiotic. The Master had decently intelligent mutants and humans in the church conducting the experiments, but in FO3 we see none (except Fawkes).

I just want to add onto the Behemoth discussion right quick.

I don't really like the Behemoths, but I don't mind them either just for the record. I don't see the big deal with them being so large. 50's science fiction had the 50foot woman, Giant monster, and Godzilla as was already mentioned before.
I understand the complaint that organs and bones shouldn't get that big, but lets just chock that one up to the amazing science of Fallout's world and not over analyze ever aspect of the game.

The information on the FEV or EEP virus does never goes into the amount of detail required to make an observation like "it isn't possible".

1) No such virus exists and we don't know exactly what its capabilities might be if it did exist. The info is limited enough to simply say "I don't know. It could be possible within the constraints of the Fallout universe." It's just as possible to have ghouls, Giant ants, Deformed abominations and talking robots as it is to have a Giant Behemoth mutant.

2)The limited amount of Behemoths goes to show that maybe a lot of potential Behemoths could not undergo the transformation and live.

3) It's just a half way decent game anyway so it doesn't matter.

Hang on. So one of the Vaults was working with a strain of FEV, and that Vault's populace was mutated and became the DC Supermutants...

FEV, when applied to people who either haven't been exposed to trace radiation in long-term, OR to people who weren't exposed to the airborne vaccine-like form of FEV caused by the destruction of what is now the Glow (take your pick of cause), makes people smarter, not into autohostile brutes.

*facepalm*

It's just as possible to have ghouls, Giant ants, Deformed abominations and talking robots as it is to have a Giant Behemoth mutant.

And the Justice League too!

I understand the complaint that organs and bones shouldn't get that big, but lets just chock that one up to the amazing science of Fallout's world and not over analyze ever aspect of the game.

That's right! Let's just ignore the game itself!!

TorontRayne said:

I don't really like the Behemoths, but I don't mind them either just for the record. I don't see the big deal with them being so large. 50's science fiction had the 50foot woman, Giant monster, and Godzilla as was already mentioned before.

The information on the FEV or EEP virus does never goes into the amount of detail required to make an observation like "it isn't possible".

1) No such virus exists and we don't know exactly what its capabilities might be if it did exist. The info is limited enough to simply say "I don't know. It could be possible within the constraints of the Fallout universe." It's just as possible to have ghouls, Giant ants, Deformed abominations and talking robots as it is to have a Giant Behemoth mutant.

2)The limited amount of Behemoths goes to show that maybe a lot of potential Behemoths could not undergo the transformation and live.

History proves otherwise, even if this is modified FEV there is absolutely no reason for them to grow this large, they could have presented the Behemoths as an eventual effect of the EEP's modified FEV, but they did not explain them in anyway beyond what they are.
If we follow Fallout 1 and 2, FEV would have no such known effects, it causes things to grow larger, but never to such a degree - that is known. Almost nothing about Fallout 3's modified FEV is known, so most information is guess-work. This vague quality surrounding most of Bethesda's additions to the canon is what truly degrades this game in terms of adherence to the world of Fallout, they just don't explain themselves at all.

As I've said earlier, speculation is not adequate reasoning, Fallout 1 and 2 provided proper exposition for most of their content, Fallout 3 did not.

FEV was pretty damn unpredictable sometimes. The Master, Harold, Talius and Frank Horrigan are goddamned flukes of luck and circunstances. The Master became a blob of biologic matter with Psyonic powers and super-intelligence. Harold wans't dipped, but exposed, and became a mutant that looks like a ghoul, and then grows a tree on his head. Talius was just like Harold, but it seems he was diped. All those four WERE Prime Normals, though, so it may have been due to that. Frank Horrigan is less of a fluke and more of a Enclave superweapon. He was also injected with some Enclave's modified FEV, which turned him into the Super-Soldier we all love to kill.

Also, Deathclaws mutated with FEV have varied intelligence. Most were stupid, dumb "Brute Muscle" like most Super Mutants, while some like Goris or Grunthar had more inteligence than the average wastelander. Goris also had a small mutation that gave him gray skin.

But Behemoths were simply bizarre.

What I want to know is who or what exactly is the brains behind the Super Mutants in "Capitol Wasteland" It can't be the Super Mutants themselves, as none featured in the game were intelligent enough to pronounce multiple-syllable words without slowing down speech speed to consider each syllable individually. To believe that these lesser creatures were conducting precise experiments on people using the FEV is idiotic. The Master had decently intelligent mutants and humans in the church conducting the experiments, but in FO3 we see none (except Fawkes).

Gooid question. A army of stupid cannon-fodder idiots SURE AS HELL ins't behind this, I'm surprised they don't just shoot each other thinking it's a game. It was never explained WHO was doing those experiments.

The Master had been exposed to FEV directly for an extended period of time, much longer in comparison to others that found themselves eventually mutated.

Eyenixon said:
History proves otherwise, even if this is modified FEV there is absolutely no reason for them to grow this large, they could have presented the Behemoths as an eventual effect of the EEP's modified FEV, but they did not explain them in anyway beyond what they are.
If we follow Fallout 1 and 2, FEV would have no such known effects, it causes things to grow larger, but never to such a degree - that is known. Almost nothing about Fallout 3's modified FEV is known, so most information is guess-work. This vague quality surrounding most of Bethesda's additions to the canon is what truly degrades this game in terms of adherence to the world of Fallout, they just don't explain themselves at all.

As I've said earlier, speculation is not adequate reasoning, Fallout 1 and 2 provided proper exposition for most of their content, Fallout 3 did not.
Arent the Deathclaws mutated Jackson Cameleons though?

Quite some size difference compared to this lidle critter.
frontweb3.jpg

Slaughter Manslaught said:
Also, Deathclaws mutated with FEV have varied intelligence. Most were stupid, dumb "Brute Muscle" like most Super Mutants, while some like Goris or Grunthar had more inteligence than the average wastelander. Goris also had a small mutation that gave him gray skin.
From what I remember the inteligent talking deathclaws were a product exclusively by the enclave and not a direct result by the FEV like the Masters Supermutants.

But to say that. I cant say I really like how the FEV is treated in Bethesdas Fallout, with Vault Tec beeing involved in all that and that you have some vault out there in DC with it. It feels all just to much like a sloppy implemented effort that you can have the Super Mutants in DC and can make sure to get some FEV for the Enclave or something.

Deathclaws aren't products of FEV though, mostly good old genetic splicing by the good old U.S military.
The Enclave (and possibly the Master) did fiddle with them though but the end results aren't too different from the originals, except the intelligence thing . :P

Eyenixon said:
TorontRayne said:

When you put it that why I agree. It wasn't explained so I can see how it might upset people. I just think it fits the setting just as well. I don't particularly like the Behemoths though.

The Enclave (and possibly the Master) did fiddle with them though but the end results aren't too different from the originals, except the intelligence thing .

Nah, I think the Master didn't fiddle with them. Otherwise, we would see Deathclaws (or Deaths mutated by FEV) walking with Super Mutant patrols, just like Floaters and Centaurs. Don't forget that even the Super Mutants didn't knew about the existence of the deathclaws in FO1. Don't forget that the scout was pwned by the Hub Deathclaw. :twisted:

I don't particularly like the Behemoths though.

I felt there just weren't enough of them. I wanted to tangle with Behemoth packs.

I think freeing the weaponless Behemoth on the slavers is one of the more entertaining bits in the game.

Slaughter Manslaught said:
Nah, I think the Master didn't fiddle with them. Otherwise, we would see Deathclaws (or Deaths mutated by FEV) walking with Super Mutant patrols, just like Floaters and Centaurs. Don't forget that even the Super Mutants didn't knew about the existence of the deathclaws in FO1. Don't forget that the scout was pwned by the Hub Deathclaw. :twisted:

Yea I don't think so either but I was looking the Vault wiki and it said maybe so I thought I would put it in there for insurance :P

There are a few items that need correcting in the game, but hey isn't that what the G.E.C.K is for? Its a shame nothing can be done for the xbox version which is what I own.

I would attempt to fill in plot holes, and add something as simple as rain.

Perhaps even have a few super mutants that you could talk to instead of just one. I get fed up of them all being the same and there being little plot associated with them.

the Behemoth in fallout 3 its something totally out of contex, just like the allmots human cyborg of the commonwealth (they could bleed and eat? ssssuuuuuuuure) it would be impossible to maintain a Behemoth in a controlled enviroment, and imagine the amount of food that thing will need to survive

Yea I don't think so either but I was looking the Vault wiki and it said maybe so I thought I would put it in there for insurance
The info about the Master fiddling with the deathclaws comes from the official FO2 guide, written by the game's lead designer, Matt Norton. It can be assumed that he fiddled with them before the events of FO1 and that his experiments were a failure, and thus abandoned before the game starts.

RBA, why fix the plot holes Bethesda left behind or fix any of their mess?

Its fun to fix a plot hole if its just a small one that needs a small explanation or could open up new paths, but these just break the main plot.

It also gets rather annoying that the magic phrase these days is that fans will fix the mistakes designers left behind in their games.
Are modders their repair services now?

Very very perhaps a Behemoth could have worked, repeat could have worked as a unique one of a kind mutant, not as the ultimate fate of Super Mutants who live long enough.

As for the almost human androids, they really don't fit.
They would have been tin Metropolis silver men at best.

Mikael Grizzly said:
Technically, the supermutants in Fo1 totaled in at about 3.2m height and 300 kg of weight.

I try to ignore the existence of the Behemoths, as much as I can. It's a retarded enemy, who joins the Fatman in the Hall Of Retarded Ideas For Fallout Games.

I can appreciate the davy-crockettish Fat Man.
I can stomach the Behemoth. Kind of an "Attack of the 50-foot Mother-in-Law" sort of way.

But I simply can't get over TWO shots being required to put down the abomination, and definately NOT over both those items appearing, what, two hours into the game?

Back