Reconstructing Fallout 3 Retrospective Series

Sorry, been away for a while, real life kinda went crazy and I've been making some changes to how/where I publish my shit. You can find the first post here: http://www.writiosity.uk/2016/02/reconstructing-fallout-3-part-1/

The rest are all there as well, just hit next post. The site's still under construction to some degree, but all 18 parts of this series are published. I'm a couple of posts behind now due to issues with free time, but I'm hoping to have those written and published in the next week or two :)

Great read, thanks! Got a couple of thoughts on it:

-Absolutely love the changes you've made to the game world, and especially the raiders.

-I'm not 100% sold on the idea of the British as the antagonists. Just something about it doesn't really fit for me. I love the idea of the Dry Sea (especially if there's an evil option of simply bursting the Gibraltar dam and drowning the whole thing). Maybe it would work better as a standalone game, with various factions fighting over the sea and the resources it holds. Maybe some sort of expansionist city-state would work better

-For the Eighth, I'm not sure about them having served in Anchorage before the bombs fell. How about if they had been assigned to Washington for riot control or something (we see power armoured troops being used for that sort of thing in Canada in FO1's intro video). It could lead to an internal conflict between those who want to help the wasteland and those who, by virtue of their original mission, see the wastelanders as beneath them, an uncivilised and dangerous rabble to be pacified.

What do you think?

Great read, thanks! Got a couple of thoughts on it:

-Absolutely love the changes you've made to the game world, and especially the raiders.

-I'm not 100% sold on the idea of the British as the antagonists. Just something about it doesn't really fit for me. I love the idea of the Dry Sea (especially if there's an evil option of simply bursting the Gibraltar dam and drowning the whole thing). Maybe it would work better as a standalone game, with various factions fighting over the sea and the resources it holds. Maybe some sort of expansionist city-state would work better

-For the Eighth, I'm not sure about them having served in Anchorage before the bombs fell. How about if they had been assigned to Washington for riot control or something (we see power armoured troops being used for that sort of thing in Canada in FO1's intro video). It could lead to an internal conflict between those who want to help the wasteland and those who, by virtue of their original mission, see the wastelanders as beneath them, an uncivilised and dangerous rabble to be pacified.

What do you think?
Hey, sorry, didn't see this reply. If you can tag me or quote a post the forum will notify me there's a reply :)

Thanks for the comments! No problem on you not being sold on certain things, they're just ideas and could feasibly work for other things, as you say (like a standalone game in another region). I'm a Brit myself, so that's part of why I felt like bringing them in as antagonists, plus I figured showing a bit of the state of things in the rest of the world is something that's not been covered before.

On the Eighth, sure, you could pretty easily tweak them a bit to be in a different role. I partly went with Anchorage because Canada was a major hotspot due to the oil pipelines, plus it ties into the Anchorage DLC. As with any fiction work like this (unless you're called Emil anyway...) ideas go through multiple iterations with feedback being incorporated and things changed as time goes on. I'm happy to see others taking my ideas and running with them, thanks :)

Back