Sonny, I Watched the Vault Bein' Built!
Staff member
Admin
Name and release date- Wasteland 2, September 19, 2014
Developer- inXile Entertainment
Platform- Microsoft Windows, OS X, Linux, PlayStation 4, Xbox One
Available for purchase- Online download

Wasteland2art.jpg

You are a desert Ranger. Another desert ranger, Ace, died on a mission. You're ordered to continue his mission.

It's not a classic since it new.

It probably annoys RPG-fans who were expecting a new Fallout, since it's not. In it's current state it's an okey game but my hope is that it will get better with new patches and then when the modkit is released maybe some fan will be able to fix the games' flaws.

Last edited:

Wasteland2art.jpg

You are a desert Ranger. Another desert ranger, Ace, died on a mission. You're ordered to continue his mission.

It probably annoys RPG-fans who were expecting a new Fallout, since it's not. At it's current state it's an okey game but my hope is that it will get better with new patches and then when the modkit is release maybe some fan will be able to fix the games flaws.

The game is mediocre, at best. It is not worthy enough to be a successor to the original.

Wasteland2art.jpg

It probably annoys RPG-fans who were expecting a new Fallout, since it's not. At it's current state it's an okey game but my hope is that it will get better with new patches and then when the modkit is release maybe some fan will be able to fix the games flaws.

The game is mediocre, at best. It is not worthy enough to be a successor to the original.

Every time I see a post like this I think two things:

1 This person has never actually played Wasteland 1

Or

2 They have and are wearing some serious nostalgia goggles.

Last edited:
Why?

WL2 is great, but it's a better Fallout sequel than a sequel to Wasteland.

** And with such easy access to Wasteland ~how can anyone assume nostalgia? It's not nostalgia when a person has the original game installed, and available for easy comparison. There are no false impressions when the last time it was played was within a few months.

Last edited:
Why?

** And with such easy access to Wasteland ~how can anyone assume nostalgia? It's not nostalgia when a person has the original game installed, and available for easy comparison. There are no false impressions when the last time it was played was within a few months.

I just don't get everyone's complaints, I have played both games recently and I felt Wasteland 2 was a solid modern sequel. What exactly were the expectations?

Why?

I just don't get everyone's complaints, I have played both games recently and I felt Wasteland 2 was a solid modern sequel. What exactly were the expectations?

The expectations were too high imo. W2 is a great game though and I haven't even played the DC yet.

Eh.. it's not as bad as some people say it was, I haven't touched it in like a year after getting maybe 60%(I had just finished the canyon of titan before going to damonta) and having done all side quests i have like 38 hours of playtime or something on it so I can easily say I got my moneys worth out of the game but for me there was something missing in it that fallout 1/2 had, i think it was how little dialogue there was but I played wasteland 1 when I was a kid which was mostly squad based fighting .

Either way the vast majority of games don't hold my attention for more then 5-7ish hours(I'm not impatient I just don't play/continue to play games if I'm not enjoying them) and I managed to put 40 into WL2 before getting bored so at least that's something, maybe I'll get around to finishing it one day :o

Really like Wasteland 2, but to be honest, still wish it can have the same level of polish as Pillars of Eternity. Especially after Director's Cut come out...but guess we can only hope they will do it better in the next Wasteland.

I've yet to really complete the first quest.
I've had since October, when it came out on PS4. It's enjoyable so far, I really should play it more often.
I kind of want to play Wasteland I first to get all the back story and lore.
But yeah, it's dated, of course it has it's nearly 30 years old.
So I really need to get passed the dated look and gameplay, otherwise, I really enjoy it.

When I started this game I wish I knew not giving a character a gun skill meant they got a stick, or that a medic and a surgeon shouldn't be the same person. I really enjoy the game though and it has a lot of replayability.

Decent game, didn't expect anything groundbreaking so I'm not disappointed.

Rotating camera drove me crazy, changed its direction randomly after entering/leaving any building.

What I regret the most is training my sniper in blade weaponry, counting on mighty proton ax, only to find in the end that W2 proton ax needs 6 STR to wield. So much for the most iconic W1 homage.. Not fair, since there's no STR requirement for three times bigger plasma hammer! Also why I can't adjust the skill check animation speed FFS. There's hundreds if not thousands skill checks in this one, forcing you to wach the same five second icon animation. Really missed the instant W1 checks.

.. I haven't even played the DC yet.
I did, still needs a lot of polishing which most likely won't happen. Small quirky glitches everywhere, such as Rose complaining in Agri-centre medbay that we betrayed the promise given to her friend Jan in Darwin village - obviously bad dialogue node called since Darwin village will be visited much later. Or many contextual icons missing on containers and objects in LA, nothing game-breaking thankfully.

While not being as revolutionary as the first one on release, the sequel is quite enjoyable. (although i also hate the camera)

Most of the stuff that Wasteland 1 brought to the table at the time was indeed excellent, but many of the rpg released subsequently included most of that stuff. And Wasteland 2 did it as well.

The only feature that i missed from Wasteland 1 is the possibility to have your characters split into four squad and actually get those four squads to fight *at the same time*, despite being several locations appart. (turn-based combat that works as if they were all in the same map) But the spliting feature was more useful in non-combat situations. But i like when turn-based games exploit situations that involve several locations at the same time. Those situations wouldn't work near as good in a real-time game. (altough, there are some noteworthy attempts)

Other than that, the first Wasteland is currently not unique feature-wise, and not extremely unique, lore-wise.

I really liked WL2 but I also only played the DC version. I thought it was a solid game. There were moments I wish I had more narrative choice but WL to me is more about skill choice in solving quests and a bigger overall narrative choice. Which, for the most part, the game did well enough. The biggest flaw here is bugs and combat imbalance. It was apparently worse before the DC version but it was still obvious that ARs are the best weapon choice. Melee and Snipers seemed alright though for me. SMGs and energy weapons seemed meh, shotguns were horrible to use very early into the game in my opinion. I didn't try fists, if that was still a skill.
I also know the skill didn't matter much but I hate that Kickstarter backers got a skill available to them? Or something weird like that. Things like that are silly too.
I'd rate WL1 over 2. I think I'd give 1 a 9/10 and 2 with the DC version a 8/10. But that's on my own rating scale. So take it with a grain of salt.

What I find really amusing are subtle references to The Order.
Such as Pitbull, Red Scorpions militia member, sociopath, rapist, slaver with male and female victims kept in his cages both dead and alive, sporting uniform with countless penises he drawn over it.

Medics and Surgeons actually have a role besides good at thing and even better at the same thing like the first game. I also just made my sniper my medic and surgeon since he was always so far back with my highest health character being my secondary surgeon for back up.

Worked well enough for me.

The stick thing I think is hilarious.

What game is that? It's not familiar to me. But I agree that Wasteland 2 was visually lacking and to me, disconnecting at points (I hate the models compared to the portraits so much).
I have higher hopes of Wasteland 3 and I know what to expect from it this time so hopefully they've only improved on what they were doing with Wasteland 2.

What game is that? It's not familiar to me. But I agree that Wasteland 2 was visually lacking and to me, disconnecting at points (I hate the models compared to the portraits so much).
I have higher hopes of Wasteland 3 and I know what to expect from it this time so hopefully they've only improved on what they were doing with Wasteland 2.
it was called The Fall: Last Days of Gaia. From Germany. It was literal "fall" due to a buggy engine and game itself. Still, it's was more stylish than W2 due to the fact that W2 used crowdsourced assets, and "director" actually "cut" too many little features, to the point where you can't sew those back.
Also W2 just as slow as the fall was on a mediocre PC by that time... Some ppl never learn it seems...

Back