The Fall English language mod

Brother None

This ghoul has seen it all
Orderite
Remember the Fall? The German post-apocalyptic cRPG released in Germany in late 2004 and once rumoured to be released in English in late 2005?

Well, no official word has been given on the English version of the game for quite some time now, long enough to consider any such project vapourware; an English version of this game shall never be released.

Realising this, Continuum went over the Fall's language files and translated everything by hand. If you have the German version of the Fall, you can download his English language mod and play. Note; not a professional translation, so expect lots of errors.

Link: The Fall English language mod for German version on NMA

*tumbleweed*

I was interested in buying the english release game...but my patience got a tad stretched and it snapped a while ago.

Last update was 30/11/2005 on the site, I doubt an english version will ever happen due to times moving on and the market moving along with it thus what publisher will want to take them on?
Dunno, just seems to me they've missed their shot.

*chases tumbleweed*

Yes, hence the vapourware-label. People who were really interested can nab the German version and use this mod, though.

To be completely honest, Somsolus, this mod was posted on the SSE forums and deleted by the admins without any given reason. Since it's not illegal, NMA's hosting of the mod is a signal to SSE that we've given up on them.

Well a pat on the back to Continuum for his great job in translating this but still cant get rid of the little too late feeling.

Dude, a single person can create *The Fall* before the developers can. It had a gazillion "bugfix patches".

SimpleMinded said:
So a person on his own can create an english mod before the developers can? Impressive.

Well, this is SSE we're talking about.

Egis; the too late-part is partially our fault, this mod was released late 2006, I just missed it since I wasn't paying any attention to SSE anymore.

What I know from the comments on SSE offical forums first release of the game was on the beta stage (so, they used German players as beta-testers). Next they start patching the game: mostly bug fixes + some additional stuff. Last and final patch was released in May 2006. They patched the game eleven times (if I'm counting correctly) - 1GB to download (probably there was a lot of problems with speech files). In the latest patch (v1.10, in Germany they released third version of the game on DVD known as "Reloaded") they added completely new, more detailed character models + higher resolution textures for them and trunks for the vehicles (so called "engine update for the US version"). Some other thing too, but news about it is only in German section of the site. And game still isn't fully finished.

There's an information about The Fall - Mutant City, which is currently under development. First information was about add-on, but I doubt in that (but who knows).

I used to be really looking forward to this game. Shame the developers are so unprofessional about it. Finish the damn game. It was too late a long time ago, you might as well either get the damn thing out the door or announce that you're calling it a day.

German companies have a strange attitude towards the english market. Examples: Gothic 2 addon wasn't released in US, but came out finally in The Gothic 2 Gold box. Spellforce addons came out in US only under the guise of a Gold edition. Silent Storm addon was out also in a Gold edition only. Blitzkrieg games who were published for US and Europe by CDV came out in the Blitzkrieg Anthology. As you can see the german developpers seem to ignore the US market and release a product when already the interest for the game weared off. I would not be surprised to see that The Fall would come out for US in a Gold edition(addon included). Not at all...
P.S.: does anyone knows if this english mod works with the spanish version also?

wolfsrain said:
P.S.: does anyone knows if this english mod works with the spanish version also?
There was one "attempt", but it seems that mod doesn't work with Spanish version (1.6.5). SSE has changed a lot in whole game since that version.

But they're only localization files, so must be some way to put it into Spanish version, I think. I have only the Polish release, so I can't check compatibility of the mod with other versions by myself.

Mod which is hosted on NMA is compatible only with German version, because there's no the same name of localization files for all versions, instead of it, each language version has different names of localization files, example:

\scripts\globaltext\polish\polish.py
\scripts\globaltext\german\german.py
\scripts\globaltext\spanish\spanish.py

\zones\zone_name\zonetext\spanish.py
\zones\zone_name\zonetext\german.py
\zones\zone_name\zonetext\polish.py

Try to download the mod, extract it and rename all files. You must change everywhere you can see "german" to "spanish" - one folder and 26 files ;) Rename files with extension .pyc only (there're also Python files with extension .py, but they're alredy compiled, so I think there's no reason to rename them). After that you must delete __init__ (.py and .pyc) from \scripts\globaltext\spanish.

If you get an errors try to find a log file (it should placed somewhere in Documents and Settings in Silver Style Entertainment\The Fall - Last Days of Gaia\ folder) and check where the problem is.

Well i think that people from SSE after seeing what crap is THE FALL they made harakiri... I never forget that cars that stops on characters... Or maybe it was effect of german anti-violence opposition ? Well it still sucks.

Did they trail behind you across the wasteland, regardless of your car's position?

Maybe SilverStyle needs that long, because they're not only doing an
english version, no, it will be an ultimate Boredom-Reduction-AddOn.

I took this patches of over one gigabyte, and really played it.
And, hell!, I don't know how they managed it, maybe they shot
their men for the dialogues, before they wrote them,
and then searched for the worst people available to speak them.

Even a dead man, lying buried in his grave,
would sound as if he had more fun, lying there,
then those people doing their work.

You can still give it try, should they ever release it in english,
but don't buy it for boredoms sake. Or at least, not for more than 5 bucks maybe.

I've been waiting for this for too long, I mean it's a "professional" developer, mods take less time (fullscale TC mods that is). If they had an German version, why not just translate it?

st0lve said:
If they had an German version, why not just translate it?

SSE can't translate and publish it in the US, they need a publisher for that. Which they're apparently too uninterested to get, which is a part of a larger German disinterest in English-speaking regions.

Hello @Continuum ,

From which version of the game did you do the translation (basic, extended, reloaded) ?

And please poeple, can someone get me the files ? (couldn't find it)

Last edited:
Back