The Fate of the Deep South?

Sabirah said:
RogerMaxson37 said:
Wintermind said:
That's assuming their going to get mutated. They're pretty fucking nasty as is, and they lived through the fucking dinosaurs. If the radiation does anything, it'll make 'em fast.

And they can be damn quick if they want to.

I would hope they would. I like deathclaws, but it'd be nice to see some other kind of mega-beast.

To be fair there is Cazadores not too

Cazadores aren't a problem once you get a weapon with a respectable DPS. I cleared out Silver Peak Mine without even taking any damage with the Light Machine Gun. Deathclaws? Doesn't matter what weapon you have. They're gonna be a problem.

Nah Deathclaws go down with 1-2 Balistic fist punches if you have the stats and perks to support them. Also the Brush Gun kill almost any creature in one hit.

Maybe radiation causes congenital glandular problems on Aligators and they become slower while still being dangerous?

With a high energy weapons skill and a decent sneak skill and the holorifle even the unique deathclaws will go down in 1-3 hits.

Walpknut said:
Nah Deathclaws go down with 1-2 Balistic fist punches if you have the stats and perks to support them. Also the Brush Gun kill almost any creature in one hit.

Maybe radiation causes congenital glandular problems on Aligators and they become slower while still being dangerous?

I don't know about you, but for me it takes about 3 headshots with a brush gun to take out a regular Deathclaw. On very easy.

I think the fate of the region should be determined based on what the region was like in the 50s. There were several industrial centers in the area back in the day, but they were all pretty much surrounded by farmland - basically how Fallout portrays every region. Birmingham was a major steel producer so you could have a Pitt-like area, maybe without the Trogs. New Orleans and Charleston were major port facilities, but just as swampy as Point Lookout. Also, there are/were a lot of high value military targets in the south, like Redstone Missile Arsenal in AL (same location as the NASA site already mentioned) and Paris Island, SC, where marines do basic training.

But, I think it would be a glaring error if any Fallout game set in the south didn't have some reference to Oak Ridge National Laboratory outside of Knoxville, TN. That place just screams Fallout setting - nuclear facility in the middle of nowhere. It's not really that isolated nowadays, but back in the 50s it was. Centering the game there would also let you tie in some appalachia stuff into the game, and maybe some of the kitsch of 50s-era Nashville.

I do think it would be a big disappointment if such a game was too heavily focused on stereotypical redneck/hillbilly characters. Being from the general area, it really is surprising what bigots people can be when the targets don't have the protection of politically correctness. It is very off-putting.

That being said, there is a lot of potential for city folk vs country folk, 'foreigners' vs natives, or tradition vs progress style conflicts. I think it would be funny if they made up a Canadian-type faction that grew out of internment camps for relocated Canadian scientists, like a combination of the nisei camps and the german scientist relocation from WWII. You could call them Canuckbaggers.

semajnollissor said:
I do think it would be a big disappointment if such a game was too heavily focused on stereotypical redneck/hillbilly characters.

This. The South has way less hillbillies than people think. Some people also have the notion that people are really racist down here, which isn't really the case (in a lot of places). I mean, the city I live in has about 30% black people, and it gets up to 80% in the northern part of town. (And yeah, I realise that black people can be racist too, don't bother to point that out.) I think that it's weird when people talk about 'interracial dating'. Down here, nobody even thinks of it as being different from 'regular' dating. (Unless we're talking about the rural areas, then there's a BIG difference.)

That is one of the reasons why I think the South would be interesting, though. There's such a strong cultural divide between the more rural cities and the more urban cities. Plus, you have places like Browns Ferry Nuclear Power Plant, NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, and the Redstone Missile Command Center so close together. Believe it or not, there's some high-tech stuff down here.

I can't even imagine what it would be like though. The South is already pretty poor as it is, I can't imagine the kind of shape it would be in the Fallout Universe. Somebody said "like Point Lookout, but worse", but I can't really comment on that, because I haven't played Point Lookout.

I'd also imagine that if there were any ghouls in the South, people would be very harsh toward them. While the South may not be as racist as people think, there is an abundance of intolerance. Gays, Atheists, and Muslims can be discriminated against quite a bit.

ramessesjones said:
I think a retro-confederacy thing in the south could an amusing premise for a villain faction in a later game. There could be like a whole vault of "south will rise again" type folks who become the dominant force of the area, who all dress like Colonel Sanders.

hahahah thats an awesome idea!

RogerMaxson37 said:
Wintermind said:
That's assuming their going to get mutated. They're pretty fucking nasty as is, and they lived through the fucking dinosaurs. If the radiation does anything, it'll make 'em fast.

I would hope they would. I like deathclaws, but it'd be nice to see some other kind of mega-beast.

If they mutate, I'd like to see some mutation more "extreme", like the fire gecko in FO2...
Alligators acid-bite? Or "ghost alligators" (stealth like chameleons)?

z27z said:
RogerMaxson37 said:
Wintermind said:

If they mutate, I'd like to see some mutation more "extreme", like the fire gecko in FO2...
Alligators acid-bite? Or "ghost alligators" (stealth like chameleons)?
Chameleons don't become tranluscent and their color change is not even to be stealthy, Chamaleons color change reflect mood changes.

semajnollissor said:
I think a scarier mutation would be man-eating kudzu.

If you aren't around to weed-eat, the weeds start eating you

Speaking of kudzu how are you southerners doing with that? Is it still out of control?

The one thing I always hear about the Everglades and Bayou of Louisiana are how invasive species are taking hold of the environment. I would expect alligators and the native wildlife to change and adapt to a post-nuclear world, but what about outside threats? Throw a Deathclaw in the Everglades or Bayou and you now have one very dangerous invasive species.

I'm interested how that would work out.

Gators have been chilling in the everglades since well before it was the everglades. I'm pretty sure if they outlasted one extinction level event they can handle another.

Well I live in FL but have to look at this from a 1950ish viewpoint

You had McCoy Air Force Base, McDill, Martin Marieta, Cape Canaveral, Homestead, Key West Naval just off the top of my head

So plenty of Nukes would have turned the Sunshine State into the Sunbaked State

Guess the theme parks would have never been built so visiting Disney errr Death World would be right out?

Giant mutated FAST alligators or mutated manatees now that would be awesome.

I live in New Orleans and grew up... elsewhere, in a Southern city less civilized than this one.

I have been working on a Fallout-based PnP module using d20 Modern/Future/Apocalypse, and have given quite a bit of thought to this.

Warheads would have directly hit most of the larger population centers in the area, as many of them sprang up around military facilities. However, if China was working towards a land-based confrontation, as some evidence would indicate, then some infrastructure would be better captured intact, such as Grand Gulf Nuclear Station or the Port of New Orleans.

Yes, much of the outlying area around New Orleans would be flooded. But not everything. In the continuity I have established, Lake Borgne has expanded and become little more than a large sound between Lake Ponchartrain and the Gulf of Mexico. Chalmette has been flattened into a featureless spit of land by two centuries of super-hurricanes, and all of New Orleans East, Bayou Sauvage, the 9th ward, etc are rubble underwater.

Orleans Parish proper, however, would fare relatively well. Many fallout shelters were constructed here during the Cold War, and I have been inside a few. While far from livable in their current condition, they are surprisingly intact and (gasp) not flooded. I imagine the levees would have been replaced with a more permanent solution, which would keep the city relatively dry.

There is plenty of inspiration to be drawn from the events following Katrina. Hence I have placed a major vault beneath the Superdome and made the descendants of FEMA agents a major local faction.

Drawing on the history of the area and its semi-aquatic setting, the city is a hive of scum and villainy; in short, PIRATES!

Please note, an authentic experience in New Orleans would not include much of the Southern "drawl." The most dominant local accents are the Islander-influenced speak of the black community, and the Brooklyn-sounding accent of Italian- and Irish-descended "Yats."

Tom_Sawyer said:
Well I live in FL but have to look at this from a 1950ish viewpoint

You had McCoy Air Force Base, McDill, Martin Marieta, Cape Canaveral, Homestead, Key West Naval just off the top of my head

So plenty of Nukes would have turned the Sunshine State into the Sunbaked State

It would be like Alas, Babylon.

Back