How confident are you in Obsidian's ability to make a Fallout successor?

• Very confident.

• Pretty confident.

• Undecided.

• Not that confident.

• Not confident at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.

TerminallyChill

Be excellent to each other.
First things first, here are the facts.

Obsidian, the company that developed Fallout: New Vegas, has a new property that sounds like it could be science fiction themed. It's apparently called 'The Outer Worlds' and the trademark covers things like video games, websites, comic books, and even trading cards.

https://trademarks.justia.com/owners/obsidian-entertainment-inc-1303648/

Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky, creators of the original Fallout, are confirmed to be directing a new role playing game at Obsidian.

https://www.nasdaq.com/press-releas...-formation-of-private-division-20171214-00363

It is possible that a spiritual successor to the Fallout series is in development. What would you like to see come out of this?

Edit: As posted by ironmask below, Tim Cain has said on video: "I've already told people, if you loved Fallout, um, you're gonna love this game."

Last edited:
There is a video online that's 1 hour long where Tim Cain explains how to build a better RPG and 7 mistakes he says to avoid.

He hint's at the secret project somewhere in the video.

Last edited:
I am not sure why The Outer Worlds should be considered a Fallout successor. I honestly doubt Cain and Boyarsky would use their effort and talent to make another post-apocalyptic game. I get the feeling that after all this time they are hungry for something fresh.

Besides, the two have already made great games in the past after Fallout, and none of those is considered a successor.

That being said, I am very much looking forward to this. But I think (and hope) it's something completely new that these great designers can make with all new tech at their disposal.

There is a video online that's 1 hour long where Tim Cain explains how to build a better RPG and 7 mistakes he says to avoid.

He hint's at the secret project somewhere in the video.

Great video, thanks for sharing that, ironmask. He mentions his new game at 8:41. I also love that he says he would get rid of Luck as an attribute, which is hilarious because that's what I'm doing in my game.

I am not sure why The Outer Worlds should be considered a Fallout successor.

I feel like hyping something we don't know about to be a fallout succescer will leave people disappointed.

Tim Cain: "I've already told people, if you loved Fallout, um, you're gonna love this game."

I don't know what more you guys want. It's clearly his intention to win back the people who were disillusioned by Fallout 4.

Also Atom, I don't necessarily think The Outer Worlds will be post-apocalyptic. It's likely science fiction though, given the title and Tim saying that it will appeal to Fallout fans. That could also mean it's possibly retro-futuristic.

And of course hyping anything up too much can lead to disappointment. It's still fun sometimes, though. I was giddy for New Vegas but it lived up to my expectations.

Last edited:
Tim Cain: "I've already told people, if you loved Fallout, um, you're gonna love this game."

I think he meant the design values of Fallout (and Arcanum, which he has also mentioned). To my recollection he's been speaking about the design values, reactivity and humor with his examples.

It would be wise of them to try and cater (at least in part) to the New Vegas audience, since Bethesda hasn't and isn't doing it. But I don't believe a successor to Fallout would be a part of that wisdom... it might look a bit too tryhard.

I will be following this one even if I don't quite agree with everything Tim takes for mistakes in that video someone posted up there - the geometric shapes in place of numbers sounds kind of iffy for one.

I think he meant the design values of Fallout (and Arcanum, which he has also mentioned). To my recollection he's been speaking about the design values, reactivity and humor with his examples.

Watch it again and look at the context of that quote though, he jumps from talking about South Park and Tyranny, which are both RPGs with good mechanics, straight to Fallout when that new game is mentioned. He's likely talking about the theme.

But I don't believe a successor to Fallout would be a part of that wisdom... it might look a bit too tryhard.

Please don't misunderstand me, when I say a successor, I'm talking loose thematic and gameplay values. The ones that were integral to Fallout's success in the first place like player freedom, dark humor, and thoughtful science fiction writing. It can be done right and I think most of the guys at Obsidian are smart enough to get that.

I will be following this one even if I don't quite agree with everything Tim takes for mistakes in that video someone posted up there - the geometric shapes in place of numbers sounds kind of iffy for one.

I trust his judgement on that only because he later elaborates on the importance of not simplifying game mechanics. As long as the triangle can mathmatically represent everything that SPECIAL does, it's nothing to worry about. The game will be equally as deep.

I hope they try something different this time, like they did with the original Fallout back in the day. I'm absolutely NOT interested in another post-apocalyptic wasteland game, or a steampunk/cyberpunk game... What I would also like to see is at least "Fallout 2" level of "adult" material...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for like a cheesy space game where people fly around planets in cartoonish rocketships and shoot stalk-eyed aliens with Buck Rogers guns.

Speaking of Buck Rogers, I wouldn't mind an RPG in which I play as a hot Erin Gray character... just saying...:newevil:

9c72f9530be7fa4158546527db482b7a.jpg

I don't know what more you guys want. It's clearly his intention to win back the people who were disillusioned by Fallout 4.

Kohno summed it up pretty well.
I'm also a bit skeptical about Tim's words nonetheless - I don't think he is throwing that around to create some buzz, but it doesn't mean much in the long run. At least not until we see some actual gameplay.

I'll be honest with you, after years of getting disappointed by various developers, teams, games and franchises - I take nothing at face value anymore. I admire Tim and his work very much, but I'm not going blindly into it. Not saying you're doing that either, but you catch my drift.

Also Atom, I don't necessarily think The Outer Worlds will be post-apocalyptic. It's likely science fiction though, given the title and Tim saying that it will appeal to Fallout fans. That could also mean it's possibly retro-futuristic.

Yeah, sorry, that wasn't directed at you specifically. I've seen people on the web hoping it's SF with PA elements or something. Maybe I got it wrong. Anyway, ignore that part of the post.

And of course hyping anything up too much can lead to disappointment. It's still fun sometimes, though. I was giddy for New Vegas but it lived up to my expectations.

Pretty much this.
Good for you, mate, and I'm saying this without a bit of irony. I wasn't giddy for NV, but was pleasantly surprised for the most part. But that was 8 years ago.

I'm also a bit skeptical about Tim's words nonetheless - I don't think he is throwing that around to create some buzz, but it doesn't mean much in the long run. At least not until we see some actual gameplay.

I'll be honest with you, after years of getting disappointed by various developers, teams, games and franchises - I take nothing at face value anymore. I admire Tim and his work very much, but I'm not going blindly into it. Not saying you're doing that either, but you catch my drift.

Yeah I'm with you on that. I've watched basically every series I like trashed by corporate greed. I'll definitely be keeping my guard up until the reviews are out for this game. The reason I'm putting so much stock into that quote isn't because I think I'm going to love the game, but because Tim thinks we're going to love it. He could just be blowing smoke up our asses for all I know, but if not there must be something he believes is going to appeal specifically to Fallout fans in that game. Which is why I am cautiously hopeful.

They may have to change that name if it's indeed the game's title. :D

Wow, the guys at Obsidian are losing their shit right now. "We just spent two weeks on that fucking title screen."

Depending on how far they are with the project, they may ultimately decide to keep the title, though. It's not exactly the same and from what I understand this is going to be a fairly large budget affair. The Outer Worlds will likely have significant marketing power compared to this.

This thread needs more links. I found some rummaging through earlier threads and newsposts on the topic.

No microtransactions:
https://forums.obsidian.net/blog/9/entry-207-a-note-about-microtransactions-in-our-upcoming-rpg

RE: the video posted earlier about "7 things to avoid" discussion:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/.114809/page-21#post-5078089

Some old roundup "what we know" thing that's probably very outdated:
http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...discussion-thread.84849/page-203#post-5300787

Also, I doubt very much that this will be top-down third-person and turn-based.

I am not saying it's bad, but that trailer left me like ... completely indifferent. I think the style they chose for their game and the whole premise is simply something I don't find very interesting.

I am not saying it's bad, but that trailer left me like ... completely indifferent. I think the style they chose for their game and the whole premise is simply something I don't find very interesting.
Same for me. The cartoonish aesthetics is not really my cup of tea. I can understand the appeal though, and I'll keep an eye on that.

I wasn't very confident in Obsidian's capacity at producing another great RPG after they had to fire a good part of their team due to financial downs. But I've been proven wrong with Tyranny, so... Yeah. They still can produce a successor to Fallout, if they decide to. I just don't think that Outer World is that, it's a new direction for them.

Oh, on another note, now that I think about Tyranny. Do you know that Paradox has bought the video game adaptation rights for "Vampire the Masquarade" ?

Back