How confident are you in Obsidian's ability to make a Fallout successor?

• Very confident.

• Pretty confident.

• Undecided.

• Not that confident.

• Not confident at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Speaking of Buck Rogers, I wouldn't mind an RPG in which I play as a hot Erin Gray character... just saying...:newevil:

9c72f9530be7fa4158546527db482b7a.jpg

I also wouldn't mind seeing a retro future space rpg, the adventure spirit of Star Trek and Buck Rogers balanced by the realities of real space travel and somewhat modern political and social development.
A game setting that seems "optimistic space adventure" first until the grim realities behind it are discovered. (grim as in realistic, not grim dark)

Here we all are getting excited about a space game, when in reality it's going to end up being something totally different and out of left field. One of the original scripts for Fallout involved travelling back in time, killing the original human ancestor, fighting dinosaurs in the future, and eventually waking up on a fantasy planet where you had to fix the timeline to save your girlfriend. I mean who the fuck knows what "The Outer Worlds" could mean when you're dealing with that caliber of insanity.

I generally like Tim Cain's level of insanity.
Also, it's clearly going to be some kind of space game.
Also also, I think it's gonne be some kind of Skyrim/Witcher3 rip-off style of game, which usually makes me extremely flaccid. :(

I think it's gonne be some kind of Skyrim/Witcher3 rip-off style of game, which usually makes me extremely flaccid. :(
To be honest, if you want role-playing games to evolve, then that's the direction they should go, an open-world sandbox with an actual living world (i.e. simulation). And if you have look at the evolution of cRPGs it's clear that that's the way they've been going. But of course, no one can tell you what you should like, it's a matter of preference.

To be honest, if you want role-playing games to evolve, then that's the direction they should go, an open-world sandbox with an actual living world (i.e. simulation). And if you have look at the evolution of cRPGs it's clear that that's the way they've been going. But of course, no one can tell you what you should like, it's a matter of preference.
I tried to cut out most of the insults from the thing I just wrote and this is the result:
I wish you fucking retards would stop pretending that ditching turn-based is some kind of evolution and not just something to make RPGs get more mass-market appeal and make more money. Do you not understand how businesses work?

Also, stop pretending that Fallout 3 wasn't your first Fallout game, you useless fucks. GO DIE IN A FIRE

In all fairness, I don't necessarily think simulation and turn based gameplay have to be mutually exclusive features.

Both are appealing for different reasons and I can imagine an elegant fusion of the two. Truthfully, while it isn't the best system in the world, I think Fallout 3's version of VATS is a decent example of this.

A Simulated world sounds good but no devoloper has even come close to making an actual systematic living world that isn't a variation of Oblivion..

A Simulated world sounds good but no devoloper has even come close to making an actual systematic living world that isn't a variation of Oblivion..

I mean, Maxis under the leadership of Will Wright did some pretty brilliant things back in the day before Electronic Arts became the cartoonishly evil corporation it is today. I imagine you're talking more along the lines of RPGs, though. Developers could still definitely learn a thing or two from SimCity.

I voted pretty confident but I'd be happier if Obsidian focused on making their own IPs rather than feeling obliged to make successors to games that used to be made by them (or more accurately, Black Isle).

EDIT: After all, they already made a proper (or the best possible with the engine and dev time in mind) successor to Fallout 1 and 2 with New Vegas.

As for Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky's project, I'm looking forward to it.

I voted pretty confident but I'd be happier if Obsidian focused on making their own IPs rather than feeling obliged to make successors to games that used to be made by them (or more accurately, Black Isle).

EDIT: After all, they already made a proper (or the best possible with the engine and dev time in mind) successor to Fallout 1 and 2 with New Vegas.

As for Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky's project, I'm looking forward to it.

When I say Fallout successor, I mean a completely new game with the intention of appealing to the Fallout crowd, sorry if that's not clearer. It appears to me that's what's in the works here based on the name, the people involved, and what the project directors themselves have said.

Also on an unrelated note, is anybody else as happy as I am that Obsidian said they aren't doing microtransactions? That's been one of the major turnoffs for me with gaming lately and it's somewhat relieving to hear that.

I wish you fucking retards would stop pretending that ditching turn-based is some kind of evolution and not just something to make RPGs get more mass-market appeal and make more money. Do you not understand how businesses work?
Heh, as if selling turn-based games isn't "business"... and who says anything about ditching turn-based games? Don't worry, I'm sure Tim Cain and co or the other fags at Obsidian will continue making turn-based games for the likes of you.

The "evolution" I'm talking about is giving the player the opportunity to role-play and adapt situations in a continuously changing world instead of trying to achieve one of the predefined end-game goals in a handcrafted world. The world of Skyrim or TW are not simulations, they are both static with the exception of a few scripted changes. Combining strategy and simulation games with role-playing games going to be the next step in the evolution.

Also, stop pretending that Fallout 3 wasn't your first Fallout game, you useless fucks. GO DIE IN A FIRE
I've never played Fallout 3, just watched a couple of LPs. :D

Why the poll? Has this mostly obscurely announced game made even the pretense of going to be that?

Minecraft, is that you?

What's inherently wrong with Minecraft, Risewild? I see this game get a lot of flak, but in my eyes it's one of the best examples of procedural programming done correctly.

Why the poll? Has this mostly obscurely announced game made even the pretense of going to be that?

It depends how you interpret this quote, I guess:

Tim Cain: "I've already told people, if you loved Fallout, um, you're gonna love this game."

What's inherently wrong with Minecraft, Risewild? I see this game get a lot of flak, but in my eyes it's one of the best examples of procedural programming done correctly.
I never said there is anything wrong with Minecraft, if anything, my comment is a compliment.
Because I am saying that Minecraft is "combining strategy and simulation games with role-playing games..." in a good way.

Back