The Power Armor dilemma in New Vegas

. . . and even if you find it quickly, there's still that PA Training perk needed. [spoiler:6457a1cb3c]Right now I'm kind of undecided whether I'd like to kill the whole Brotherhood (will be a real pain in the ass, I guess) and loot all of their stuff or to leave them as they are. I heard there's some related quest later in the game where you have to double-cross them anyway so getting rid of the whole bunker seems like a fair idea to me (always wanted to do it in the original Fo but I'd never cope with the feeling of guilt that'd haunt me through the rest of the game). :)[/spoiler:6457a1cb3c]

Nuka-X said:
Yes, in Fallout 1 & 2 to get Power Armor you needed to actually work for it and needed to have a good character to get so far in the game to get it.

You must be kidding. Speedrunning to San Francisco to talk to BoS and then going to navarro still at level 1-2 to get Advanced Power Armor lying unprotected in a locker needed ANY work towards it? Not counting reloading after bumping into Enclave patrol on the way.

If anything, Fallout 2 was the worst in terms of powerful weapons/armor distribution. Hell, even if you did not went to Navarro early, you could still get Gauss Rifle in NCR by super-stimpacking the sheriff.

Well, drop F2 from the list but doing all that isn't too much for the fun of playing the game.

Brother None said:
Because the BoS questline bugged out for me I never got it, though I had Boone run around in PA for most of the game, I was stuck in the ridiculous-looking reinforced combat armor.

I gave him Brotherhood t-45b and he threw it away. Which I noticed quite far away. That was an unexpected thing. Then I found out that companions just eventually throw away the armor they're unable to wear. Which really pissed me off at some points.

13pm said:
I gave him Brotherhood t-45b and he threw it away. Which I noticed quite far away. That was an unexpected thing. Then I found out that companions just eventually throw away the armor they're unable to wear. Which really pissed me off at some points.

He can't wear Brotherhood armor because he isn't aligned to that faction, so he simply refuses. He can wear NCR's power armor or non-aligned PA.

Yeah, companions throw away faction armor if they're unable or unwilling to wear it, which means ED-E can carry any armor except faction armor, she can't carry any of that. There's a message that pops in on their inability to wear it, though, so you should really just pay more attention ;)

DForge said:
Speedrunning to San Francisco to talk to BoS and then going to navarro still at level 1-2 to get Advanced Power Armor lying unprotected in a locker needed ANY work towards it? Not counting reloading after bumping into Enclave patrol on the way.

If anything, Fallout 2 was the worst in terms of powerful weapons/armor distribution. Hell, even if you did not went to Navarro early, you could still get Gauss Rifle in NCR by super-stimpacking the sheriff.

And how many people do you think did either on their first playthrough without any instructions from the internet or friends? Just because the world is open and thus open to exploits doesn't mean it is in the game's natural course for a player to step into power armor very early, which is in fact the case in Fallout 3, which throws both PA and PA training at you in the main quest. A pretty obvious difference, dude.

Brother None said:
Yeah, companions throw away faction armor if they're unable or unwilling to wear it, which means ED-E can carry any armor except faction armor, she can't carry any of that. There's a message that pops in on their inability to wear it, though, so you should really just pay more attention ;)

Yeah, I saw that message, but throwing it away just for not being able to wear it? That was somehow... unexpected =)

Well, back on topic, I got my T-51b quite early after doing quests for BoS and repaired it with other pieces found. So I had to reapair it for money only once a bit before the final battle.

Yeah, I saw that message, but throwing it away just for not being able to wear it? That was somehow... unexpected =)

It's pretty stupid if you ask me. Carrying faction armor gets really tedious this way.

And how many people do you think did either on their first playthrough without any instructions from the internet or friends? Just because the world is open and thus open to exploits doesn't mean it is in the game's natural course for a player to step into power armor very early, which is in fact the case in Fallout 3, which throws both PA and PA training at you in the main quest. A pretty obvious difference, dude.

Yeah, seriously. For that matter, one could theoretically find PA in NV as soon as you get a stealthboy, to sneak your way past deathclaws and get a set of PA and APA.

Well, npcs throw it away, because else they would wear it in some cases. The engine can't tell the npc what armor to wear and what not... if the armor has better stats than their default, they will use it.

Just got my Remnants PA and I'm a walking tank now. xD

I went to Freeside and some dumbass hits me in the back with a lead pipe. My Multiplas Rifle said hello. :)

NV Nexus has a few mods up that get around that like some this one.

I'm not big on mods, especially for new games, unless they are bugfixes or restoration projects of some sort.

Please don't take out spoiler tags when quoting, that's a part of the main questline. That said

[spoiler:b148f39d5e]You are asked to take care of the BoS by the NCR and House if you follow those questlines, yes. You can negotiate a truce if you're working for the NCR. Dunno about House. I had to kill em in both cases because their quest bugged out and I couldn't talk to the Elder anymore[/spoiler:b148f39d5e]

[spoiler:9980d74223]There is no option for a truce on the House questline that I can find, you can't bring it up with the elder at least[/spoiler:9980d74223]

Kallisti said:
[spoiler:899976a6e1]There is no option for a truce on the House questline that I can find, you can't bring it up with the elder at least[/spoiler:899976a6e1]
then thank god i'm NCR and proud (remember kill legion with EXTREME predjicduce)

I went to hidden valley with my newly aquired 100 lockpick skill to open that door I was curious about early-game.

[spoiler:001bca9cb5]Down there was a BoS dude telling me to go do this and that to a NCR-ranger, and slapped a goddamn slave-collar on me!

Now, I'm very friendly to the NCR, and that guy was also beeing an ass. Of course, the only reasonable thing to do was to go back and murder the entire base..

But after that I suddenly thought of PA-training, and where to get it now.. I read on the wiki that you can get it from Arcade Gannon - does anyone have experience with that? Is it hard? Very late-game perhaps?[/spoiler:001bca9cb5]

aguds said:
[spoiler:4c68c30a86]But after that I suddenly thought of PA-training, and where to get it now.. I read on the wiki that you can get it from Arcade Gannon - does anyone have experience with that? Is it hard? Very late-game perhaps?[/spoiler:4c68c30a86]

[spoiler:4c68c30a86]It's not late game. But you have to unlock his personal quest "Auld lang syne", which means he has to trust you. Travel with him to high-tech locations (REPCONN, Van Graffs), take him to the Fort in the main quest and tell him you hate Caesar, be liked by the Followers of the Apocalypse.
One of the Enclave guys can train you once you picked a side for them to support.[/spoiler:4c68c30a86]

^ [spoiler:38abe019aa]IIRC another requirement is to be at a certain point in the main story. I forget what it is exactly, but I think it's somewhere close to mid-late-game.[/spoiler:38abe019aa]

Back