The terrible German language

Funnily enough I was reading an article recently about Arnold Schwarzenegger when he did the Terminator movies. They were going to do a German release and he offered to dub his own acting because he "spoke fluent German" but once the German producers heard him speak they said he "sounded like a backwoods farmer" and would have made the character a laughing stock.
As opposed to him performing a role in English?

Well we Germans have obviously higher standards. And Arnold is from Austria. Not the same! NOT. THE. SAME!

I might not be in Bavaria for some time anyway, as I said, I'm from Western Germany near Düsseldorf so I'll be with my family for a few days, too.

This is a bit closer to my home dialect (even though it's a rather terrible representation of actual Cologne dialect). No, I don't speak that, either.

That's actually closer to where we'll be, her family lives in Recklinghausen. Pretty much most of the places we've gone are around there (Essen, Dortmund, Koln, Munster, etc)

upload_2019-11-7_16-1-58.png

That's actually closer to where we'll be, her family lives in Recklinghausen. Pretty much most of the places we've gone are around there (Essen, Dortmund, Koln, Munster, etc)

View attachment 14037
Heh, that's very close to where my father is from, he's a bit further north near Bocholt. I'll be near Mönchengladbach. Just say the word and I'll make sure to drop by!

Heh, that's very close to where my father is from, he's a bit further north near Bocholt. I'll be near Mönchengladbach. Just say the word and I'll make sure to drop by!

Yeah, I'll hit you up! She wants to spend time with her new nephew (her brother just has a child) and I'll probably have a free day. Hopefully I'll know enough German to survive on my own.

Yeah, I'll hit you up! She wants to spend time with her new nephew (her brother just has a child) and I'll probably have a free day. Hopefully I'll know enough German to survive on my own.
"Ein Bier, bitte!" is the most important sentence, as you probably already know.

My struggle today:

upload_2019-11-8_10-51-26.png

But the answer is "The man drinks also hot milk"

Does: "Der Mann auch trinkt heiße milch" not make sense? I find I'm having to read/write ahead in German and then work backwards through the sentence

Also:
upload_2019-11-8_11-3-48.png

"You are not turn"?

Last edited:
My struggle today:

View attachment 14051

But the answer is "The man drinks also hot milk"

Does: "Der Mann auch trinkt heiße milch" not make sense? I find I'm having to read/write ahead in German and then work backwards through the sentence
No, word position is important in German.
Also:
View attachment 14052

"You are not turn"?
More like "You are not next in line".
"Dran sein" or "Als Nächster dran sein" means "being next in line".

Yeah, adverbs and negatives are killin' me. I was doing well until I got to these:

upload_2019-11-8_11-45-28.png

"That makes nothing" is how I read that

Yeah, adverbs and negatives are killin' me. I was doing well until I got to these:

View attachment 14053

"That makes nothing" is how I read that

I think there's only so far you can learn German through Duolingo etc. You ought to visit Germany, maybe shack up with Hass & Crni (they live together, right?), cook breakfast for them, etc. You'll learn German more effectively.

I think there's only so far you can learn German through Duolingo etc. You ought to visit Germany, maybe shack up with Hass & Crni (they live together, right?), cook breakfast for them, etc. You'll learn German more effectively.

I always thought @Crni Vuk was Russian for some reason

Back