The Van Buren Project Wants Your Vote!

Van_Buren

First time out of the vault
Hey everyone,

If you're not familiar with it already, Van Buren: A Fallout RPG is a mod that hopes to recreate what might have become of Black Isle Studio's Fallout 3, using the FOnline Engine. We have been working on this project for several years now, using the numerous design documents that are available online as reference (in addition to our own research and creative input).

Recently, two of our members created concepts for a set of Vault-Tec themed Power Armor we'd like to see featured in the game:

13102686_502366123307587_7330428804446265024_n.png

We first surveyed our Facebook fans, asking what their favorites were, and now we'd like to turn it over to you! The poll can be found here, and if you took a minute of your time to answer it, we'd appreciate the feedback. Thanks!

Last edited:
To be honest, I'm not really a fan of any of them. The T-38 and -39 variants look like they have fixed (immobile) helmets, which would be really impractical. The T-40 screams "stormtrooper" to me. The T-38b, -38c, -40, -41a, and -44 variants look like they have solid abdomen plates which would hinder bending at the waist. The T-44 has soft hoses in front connecting the chest and head, which would restrict the wearer's ability to look upwards unless the hoses are able to stretch more then they appear to. The hoses (and the vents under them) would also be subjected to incoming fire.

If the T-39d had the helmet on the T-40, it would look like a set of armour I'd want to wear.

These two images were made to show how a historical coat of plates or breastplate should fit. I think they have some applicability here as well.

OGHPyxZdb00jEzUc8-qAf8PcUF037QHDjXo0S-WbgCOo3HksELD-6qvY16msk5pD17JKkDuwDQVNG6SeVj1uLXZTHGG4nd_gTjzEJfm5n8snW7jKPtu3P_H0X3fOu9A_5IS-Ok5-xfutMdmz-zJlqwfx3cB42lEvBJ3_NYjnbdeJSf4mv_pdlCvyT79VsWcxLR4EBAg-By5VVbtHYSJKcAsjmF5AJee9Nh6WEa-Xb2xstNwUQDeEb9CIhmo-R-LbIAzw-8euwS1ZKF89dO5iFB02mDAN21smM2kNcz5GO8aq6aRns2UsVCbP5Umm9zo98oRLNBe1VU2uS-bth89y7R8K1HUv0YqPl7-CQrBduNYU5hDHYYqMgOO0HjlYllo-EXgILj11RiENhTeOI1cmQDK99zosI_9v4dG3fmfikHBgXXXUKf6tQ3Xn86tZRkJqmtDLlRS7uIzfZI9aALdyhA4OyM5Rm0v6mprMB3dJEaPPiWChIf3m7YOKPL7p1OEON6B4FT2qlwiPPCPzKz0l2gZEshYHY0zRE-MMj4nTQ2_Y25QEfqu32dcTT8NYLCXKpnLZxlc93V4lv31TnGG1QADPBQsK6K4=w800-h687-no

8FuKWBKWWhJqLaOjlhAWvUYRrf2Xkjglw2KhYlQiz35KxMx1PSllwP6MG4_jy26ZUkOq1E4WAAdC7xfWvS4iZINv6W4mFZdoLvsZqRMSstvbVNneTAgoqYQQ4UtMGzR44klOJVO6Sf9k9QE7WWHdgglfUAxMtw0ExB4BDifWF1CbSYdWhqpUmjFWO8CJAmILgQpL8cjPLVu-zMqAwG-F5jFk77S7AowRveKZR5y-Fd6PNEn0hpBngD8Yn4NDjYHXcCwjITfu2y6UP96hFqeprtK3_JrREpPQBvS0Fn3dTrv90s-9Y16Crvew9SEjnLLkpaczv3Kps0mdsTyhJKInNNZnk-VY-fU1YbJE2FDJ0IF33VBjZVh4jEssjAPEdcgGyxKymXyvE2Yt8bSGPlGP8X-jUf5Ij_cssHidTBM2MTlaGL5XejMATvM8N2m88f4Q8di03-ybRW0fNeG72HNXaEhPcORD2IqxAS7-LNUWzaVs311ZQUtmVwCtYgkQE1id9FoBa982Z0kVvIpCmSDW4DR6HBZ_5FlYwzxmJVJirw0FE6xoAQmaW7Tu3NvEH3RtM9e-Dcc4OcV3a95SMjDn1NwNzZ2ZQg8=w800-h458-no

Thanks for the input, Baird. Some of the armors were drawn with utility-work in mind, so it's true that they might suffer from less maneuverability when in combat. None the less, some adjusting always has to be done when you go from concept to sprite. :P

Last edited:
I hope you don't take the critique too hard; I don't mean to bust the artists' chops. I just think the ergonomics of the suits should be thought about a bit more. For initial concepts, they aren't bad. I'd guess that the guys drawing them have never had to wear body armor. I have, so I tend to think about it a bit more than most people.

No worries - I can't take credit for the armor myself, though I am an artist, and I think there's some value in your criticism. I'm also very proud of my team's concepts, but part of the reason we wanted to share our work (again) with NMA is that you guys take Fallout really seriously.

I hope you don't take the critique too hard; I don't mean to bust the artists' chops. I just think the ergonomics of the suits should be thought about a bit more. For initial concepts, they aren't bad. I'd guess that the guys drawing them have never had to wear body armor. I have, so I tend to think about it a bit more than most people.

Hi Baird,

Appreciate the pics, thanks :nod: the T-38 isn’t actually meant to bend over it’s designed as a heavy almost mech construction and demolitions model, the finished version will have industrial capabilities with changeable tools, we’re toying with that idea at the minute. We wanted to show what could be considered faults as earlier power armour designs weren’t as successful as later PA models, this will also be reflected in the gameplay as well. The exposed soft hoses are deliberate, if you look as the T-45d & T-51b these are less exposed, we wanted to demonstrate evolution (or at least try to) towards the T-45d with the T-44 plus we also just wanted to add a little variety of choice with our designs and have some fun making them. We wanted to show failings in the power armours past incarnations, one example being the fixed helmet with limited vision. The other artist Ludvig like yourself wants to show more flexibility in the designs and the addition of flexibility will be addressed as 3 or 4 armours (vote dependant) shown on the design pic will be in the game. Some of the power armours are also not in their finished form but flexibility will be added to some of the choices for the game as the inflexible nature has also been referred to by other people, so we’ll definitely do something about that for those who raised it and that’s exactly why we asked for your opinions, we’d be happy to take it onboard and do something about it for you :nod:

Last edited:
we wanted to share our work (again) with NMA is that you guys take Fallout really seriously.

Yes...very seriously...
klingon.png

In all seriousness it'll be cool (and would make sense) to see some earlier models of Power Armour. Personally the less generic they look the better, but your designs look like they're going in the right direction. I particularly like the one with the visor, the t-39d. It looks like it might be used for utilitarian purposes, rather than military. I always thought that would be an interesting road to take power armours. Like a mix between a forklift and a hazard suit or something like that.

Wish you guys all the best with the project.

Yes...very seriously...
klingon.png

In all seriousness it'll be cool (and would make sense) to see some earlier models of Power Armour. Personally the less generic they look the better, but your designs look like they're going in the right direction. I particularly like the one with the visor, the t-39d. It looks like it might be used for utilitarian purposes, rather than military. I always thought that would be an interesting road to take power armours. Like a mix between a forklift and a hazard suit or something like that.

Wish you guys all the best with the project.

lol, I was thinking more along the lines for hazmat capabilities and heavy lifting duties with T-38, the T-39d was more about increasing field of vision but adding a moveable shield for protection to compensate for a less armoured helmet, science and exploration in dangerous environments and even population control came to mind when we designed it and thanks appreciate it :smile:

Last edited:
Hi Baird,

Appreciate the pics, thanks :nod: the T-38 isn’t actually meant to bend over it’s designed as a heavy almost mech construction and demolitions model, the finished version will have industrial capabilities with changeable tools, we’re toying with that idea at the minute. We wanted to show what could be considered faults as earlier power armour designs weren’t as successful as later PA models, this will also be reflected in the gameplay as well. The exposed soft hoses are deliberate, if you look as the T-45d & T-51b these are less exposed, we wanted to demonstrate evolution (or at least try to) towards the T-45d with the T-44 plus we also just wanted to add a little variety of choice with our designs and have some fun making them. We wanted to show failings in the power armours past incarnations, one example being the fixed helmet with limited vision. The other artist Ludvig like yourself wants to show more flexibility in the designs and the addition of flexibility will be addressed as 3 or 4 armours (vote dependant) shown on the design pic will be in the game. Some of the power armours are also not in their finished form but flexibility will be added to some of the choices for the game as the inflexible nature has also been referred to by other people, so we’ll definitely do something about that for those who raised it and that’s exactly why we asked for your opinions, we’d be happy to take it onboard and do something about it for you :nod:

As an evolution of armor, I think the designs mostly work. I had thought about that as an intention earlier, given the numbering. Are you guys also planning on doing purely industrial designs?

As an evolution of armor, I think the designs mostly work. I had thought about that as an intention earlier, given the numbering. Are you guys also planning on doing purely industrial designs?

The T-38 will become purely industrial and we were thinking the T-44 should be a failed military prototype and whatever got voted most VT will be the Vault Tec PA and the T-39d would be scientific in its role or had a riot functionality, we haven't decided yet, it's still early days and we'll settle on final purposes of each armour after we have read the feedback and considered the direction of the votes cast.

A great looking power armor in my mind would be having the torso of the T-39D
The arms of the T-44
The shoulder plates of the T-38C
The lower midsection of the T-38
The Kneeplates of the T-38
The helmet of the T-44

A great looking power armor in my mind would be having the torso of the T-39D
The arms of the T-44
The shoulder plates of the T-38C
The lower midsection of the T-38
The Kneeplates of the T-38
The helmet of the T-44

Had a few armour combos mentioned on our facebook page, I'll take some time after the vote closes and build them all and see what looks best maybe add one or two as scenery or as damaged beyond repair, sort of spare parts only finds in the game.

@LT_Jones

That would make the game a tid bit more exciting as it was a game that was never meant to be. I would love to see some of the armor in a ruined vault and have the armor rusted and corroded from years of exposure to the elements without being repaired at all but have some sort of mechanic that'll allow you to repair said armor in a working condition with items like duct tape,wonderglue,scap metal, scap electronics or any other sort of materials that would be used to repair the armor, maybe even include a blowtorch.

You couldn't repair that armour it's damaged beyond repair only fit for a couple of working parts, to upgrade working power armour. The older Fallouts have always let you harden your armour this time round we want to let you add weapons as well if you want. We're still considering whether to only apply that to the new power armours which will be rare and hard to get. Even these may need parts to make them work, just something we're considering, nothing concrete yet. I like the blowtorch idea, savaging parts from other sources would be a good idea but we've still to decide for definite how we want the mechanic to work but more depth is always good imo

Last edited:
The thing I always loved about Fallout Power Armor, is how it looks really silly, but at the same time practical. Take the PA from FO1 for example
latest

Look at all the silly little bolts, and wires, and the little red arrow around the breather. Not to mention the two handles(Probably to put it on and take it off). It looks like it's all thrown together, in an overly complex fashion, but at the same time you can kinda imagine that every part of it has its uses, like those funnels may be for carrying oxygen, that arrow may be useful for giving directions on how to use something or other, those wires may be what's providing it power.

The designs for the Vault-Tec Power Armor look awesomely made, but at the same time many of them are too perfect. I reckon that if you combined the Shoulder Accessories of T-38, The welding Mask type shield of T-39d, and the breather of the T41, it would look brilliant.

The thing I always loved about Fallout Power Armor, is how it looks really silly, but at the same time practical. Take the PA from FO1 for example
latest

Look at all the silly little bolts, and wires, and the little red arrow around the breather. Not to mention the two handles(Probably to put it on and take it off). It looks like it's all thrown together, in an overly complex fashion, but at the same time you can kinda imagine that every part of it has its uses, like those funnels may be for carrying oxygen, that arrow may be useful for giving directions on how to use something or other, those wires may be what's providing it power.

The designs for the Vault-Tec Power Armor look awesomely made, but at the same time many of them are too perfect. I reckon that if you combined the Shoulder Accessories of T-38, The welding Mask type shield of T-39d, and the breather of the T41, it would look brilliant.

Thanks for the input, I'll build all your suggestions and we'll post them up and see which looks the best. The armours will be damaged, dirty and rusty when they're finished, they'll get the proper wasteland treatment.

Thanks for considering my idea @LT_Jones
And by the way a great idea could possibly be having what ever power armor get's chosen as vault-tec's could be inside of some ruined vaults with maybe a skeleton of the last user of inside of it. Also what else would be a cool but parhaps a hard thing to program would be being able to create your own set of armor such as mix and matching pieces of armor that would allow for good radition protection or energy weapon protection etc. you get the idea, and along being able to spraypaint your armor sort of give it your own personal touch with some pre-made designs made by your artists and programmer and adding a different coat of color like painting a suit of PA that starts out grey and making it where it's silver,gold,camo, or maybe even a hot pink color. the idea of wearing hot pink power armor while shooting some raiders with a minigun is quite funny in my mind.

Last edited:
Back