Things that you LIKE about Fallout 76

error2k

First time out of the vault
Let's switch things up and actually talk about things we like about this Bethesda's interpretation of Fallout.

I really like how some of the weapons and objects look. They mostly nailed the aesthetic of the first Fallout.
latest

Though modders still seem to put in much more effort:
35676-1541117691-2101942273.jpeg

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/35676

But still, the Fallout 76 plasma caster has a nice aesthetic that's not found in the Fallout 4 mod. I think it's down to preference.
My biggest problem about weapons in Fallout 76 are the left handed bolts and how big the models look on your screen. The animations aren't that great either.

Anyway. I also like the skill checks. I haven't played for very long, but all the NPCs I've encountered all had some kind of skill check in their dialogue. It's big step up from Fallout 4 and perhaps even New Vegas, but I haven't played long enough to be sure of that.

I would disagree on the art-style and the dialogue checks being comparable at all to New Vegas but okay. I do think 76's weapon design is a step-up from 4's, however. I found myself liking a lot of the designs although it's still a downgrade from NV's arsenal, IMO.

As for what I like about it:

The inclusion of numerous pre-war "Space Age" infrastructures across rural west virginia where none such exist in real life. Not only do they look cool and act as cool environmental set pieces for the player to explore, but they also home in that Fallout is an alternate retrofuture and not just the 1950s. I still don't like the Pixar-esque colorful rounded look and I'd prefer it to be a bit more dieselpunk/art-deco in style, but it's still a good usage of the setting in a game that otherwise tarnishes it.

The new mutants that are unfortunately accompanied by every other staple piece we've seen in every damn game so far. The weapons are better than Fallout 4 but still not nearly on par with NV. And yeah, the dialogue is not comparable with NV either. Most of the dialogue loops back into the same thing but there is surprising a little bit of variance in how some things can happen which is more than you can say for Fallout 4.
I noticed that you could get that Assaultron a different body depending on certain skills of yours. If you had enough lockpicking or hacking or something you could get them a proper fitting body but if you didn't you could get two different robot bodies that they'd be less satisfied with, this of course changes nothing besides the Assaultron complaining or being very happy though. Also the Scorched dude in the attic that you can let live, kill after hearing about his story, or just kill him immediately doesn't change how the story plays out but hey it's better than god-like NPCs that just pass out when you weren't supposed to fill their head with lead.

I love the new creatures, I hate a lot of their lore but they look amazing. Mostly the scorchbeasts, and while some may disagree I totally think scorchbeasts fit in fallout and I would like for them to return in a future title.

The environments look great, they don't look like they belong 25 years after a nuclear war, in fact it's what fallout 3 and 4 should've looked like. However they're still great pieces of land to look at.

And I also like the new power armor. Again the lore behind it all is bad, maybe the ultracite power armor can work, but I like them because they look pretty cool. Unfortunately they're definitely going to make a return in the future and further break the lore, but again they just look great.

The C.A.M.P. system is hands down the best part of the game to me personally. Most of the best stuff that comes out of this game is camp related and I'm always impressed by the creativity of the people who build things. Since you can build anywhere in the world and you have a fair number of tools at your disposal you have camps that range from completely integrated into the setting (almost indistiguishable from the default environment) to death traps, mini-games, etc.

From what I've seen in 2020 update, it's better than Fallout 4 now as a video game. So here's that.

From what I've seen, I really like how it incorporates some 70s aesthetics. I've always felts that 70s stuff (Clockwork Orange, Logan's Run, precipitous American decline) is the upper limit of the Fallout aesthetic visually and thematically.

John Denver and also the Beach Boys in terms of music, but general aesthetics - a lot of bright yellows and oranges, and a lot more curved lines in general, not to mention color TV

The Beach Boys and color TV is moreso the late 60s imo, but I agree with you, I dig it. A ton of people complained about a John Denver cover and Beach Boys in Fallout, but I also believe the cutoff is around the 60s/70s for Fallout. If I had to name an exact year for the cutoff for Fallout aesthetics, it'd be 1968

From what I've seen, I really like how it incorporates some 70s aesthetics. I've always felts that 70s stuff (Clockwork Orange, Logan's Run, precipitous American decline) is the upper limit of the Fallout aesthetic visually and thematically.
I like to imagine most major cities right around the time of the Great War looked like a Dirty Harry or Death Wish film.

I moreso come at it from the angle of 70s dystopia and sci-fi, but 70s exploitation is also absolutely important. Look at Mad Max 1
I feel like many people (particularly Bethesda) seem to ignore the influence of 70s/80s sci-fi/dystopia films on the world of fallout, in favor of the retro-future portrayed in 40s/50s/60s comics and b-movies. Both eras (or rather, all five eras) have their place when depicting the pre-war fallout world. Government propaganda and corporate advertising are obviously in the style of what they were like in the 40s and 50s, but more the conservative elements from the 70s and even 80s can fit into fallout just fine, and even give the world a little more character versus the somewhat boring “1955 with robots and lasers” that Bethesda tends to portray.

I feel like many people (particularly Bethesda) seem to ignore the influence of 70s/80s sci-fi/dystopia films on the world of fallout, in favor of the retro-future portrayed in 40s/50s/60s comics and b-movies. Both eras (or rather, all five eras) have their place when depicting the pre-war fallout world. Government propaganda and corporate advertising are obviously in the style of what they were like in the 40s and 50s, but more the conservative elements from the 70s and even 80s can fit into fallout just fine, and even give the world a little more character versus the somewhat boring “1955 with robots and lasers” that Bethesda tends to portray.
Even 20s and 30s have influence - mainly on architecture (Art Deco was big, especially in the isometric games), but also through general depression styles both pre and post-War and Raygun Gothic.

Honestly, my memory is hazy about it, since I never directly played it and instead relied on other people's playthroughs to see it. I checked my "What I like about Fallout Games" word document(Yes I have that)

I've written down that I actually like the majority of the lore. It feels like a good place in the timeline. I like the whole history with the Charleston Emergency Government, it feels sensical for the timeline.

I also like the two original factions, the Responders and the Free States. People banding toghether to help each other in an apocalypse feels good, and the idea of an Anarchist domestic uprising during the Great War feels like something understated, as a resistance to the pseudo-fascism of the pre-war government. It also makes a lot of sense for West Virginia, the Harper's Ferry reference is a nice one, and overall the idea of a group of Anarchists trying to rebuild in a post-war world is one that is definitely an interesting route to explore.

I think the Scorch Plague wiping out all the main factions was kinda a dumb plot point, and I don't like the Zombie Apocalypse type details, but I understand that it was done to make it more a Multiplayer experience where the players take control of the factions.

I like many of the new creatures(The ones not associated with West-Tek), and the overall grotesque design pattern involved). I actually quite like the idea of having Cryptids (though I don't like the bullshit of trying to explain them with "West-Tek", if you're going to have semi-mystical elements you should commit IMO).

I like the consistent theme of Automation, plus the Mining Robot, as well as the Cargo Robots. Feels good to see actual consequences of living in the 2070s being dealt with. Plus, I always like new non-combat robots being introduced, it feels like the newer games have an issue

I like the map design. Having multiple different diverse landscapes is pretty cool, and escapes the standard bleakness of radiated wasteland and desert.

From what I've seen of more recent content (Not much) the new villages in the updates look cool.

There's a lot of good shit, and I think the team who made it were clearly compotent and had some good ideas. Maybe not 1/2/NV tier ideas, but good ones nonetheless, and I honestly think if a few things changed, I'd accept it fully in the same way I do tactics.

It's kinda a shame that it's held back by a lot of souless Bethesda corporate bullshit, and the need to consistently bring back the staples of the franchise, because it's clearly a compotent, interestingly designed game with a lot going for it.

Back