Underrail

It's pretty fun but it's severely lacking in the story department. If you enjoy that kind of gameplay you'll have fun but don't expect anything very thought provoking.

Well, the main story isn't exactly amazing but it's decent. It's the world around you that is amazing. So kinda like Fallout 2 in a way. Main story is meh, the side-content is where it's at.

So, there was another Underrail thread here, but it was more of a discussion on builds and on how to get started. I don't want to necro it, and with the new update I guess I want to make a new discussion about the game, and also to liven up things in NMA. Although I personally posted this thread because I've got some question, I made it to be more of a general Underrail discussion. If the mods/admins feel this thread is redundant and have to be merged to that other thread anyway, feel free to do so.

So, I want to ask you guys, did any of you know how to trigger Dan Forte's dialogue about Gorsky? I've already post a question to a relevant thread in Underrail's forum, but up until now no one answered it :( I don't know, perhaps the new update messed up or what, but I've re-do the Foundry's questline like 5-6 times now, with no apparent way to trigger the dialogue with Dan about Gorsky and vice versa.

If you enjoy well done turn-based combat and eploration, yes. The game gives you a lot of options for building your character and the combat is interesting despite you controlling this single character.

The writing is good but minimalist and, while there is some C&C, it is defenitely not the focus of the game.

If you buy it, remember to use Cheat Engine for the speedhack. There are a lot of time related mechanics and this, coupled with the slow walking speed, can become tedious fast.

EDIT: This should be in the General Gaming forum.

Yes it's a great game at a good price.

The combat is the biggest feature of the game - it's great turn-based combat definitely above average for a cRPG. There's some good character building guides on the youtubes also so you can avoid making a character that becomes useless 10 hours into the game (like any good RPG where stats matter, this can happen).

I'd also recommend Age of Decadence. I'm currently playing both.

It all depends on what you're looking for in games, really. Are you more of a combat enthusiast, and also love exploring and getting lost in caves and corridors along the rails? If a game with a near-perfect (sorry, had to use those words here) working mechanics and overall satisfying gameplay is something you're craving for, then Underrail is just for you.

If what you're looking for is the story, and wanted to indulge yourself in top-notch writing, then Underrail would be disappointing for you. BUT! Honestly, go get it anyway. Whoever you are, whatever you like, the content Underrail had is so staggering, I personally thought $10 for an 'indie' game like this is such a steal.

Below, in the spoiler, is purely my opinion, so skip it if you don't exactly care about what I think about the story:
If you ask me, I actually think the story, the writings and the narrative was slightly above decent. It kinds of abruptly shift in its tone and overall atmosphere near the end, and I agree with that. But still, while many would attribute the narrative and the writings weak, I personally assume many actually advance the storyline and actually bothers doing the sidequests because they spark their curiosity, anyway. Another major criticism is the lack of C&C, and somewhat the lack of use for social skills. I'm aware of that, there aren't enough. BUT, when you DO encounter a chance to use those social skills, and you passed it, it was actually important enough because, from what I can get, those social checks actually allow you to avoid 'extremely' dangerous situation (and I quote it like that because it depends on your build). But hey, it's just me.

Underrail is probably my favourite game of 2015 (although I have to say I haven't played Age of Decadence yet, so that might change at some point) and I would recommend it to anyone. I have never had so much fun with combat in any other game EVER. Choosing your build has also never been as important as in Underrail. Seriously, mess things up even slightly and you'll end up restarting your game, possibly many hours in. I like how unforgiving the game is and I still refrain from using guides because the reward is so much bigger when after a bazillion tries you finally get that build that gets you further.

Story wise it holds up pretty well in my opinion. The story had me engaged at all times and kept me going from encounter to encounter, which is mainly why it was there anyway. But that's not a bad thing. The story and the random dialogue really brought the world of Underrail to life for me.

Graphics wise it's a matter of taste, I think, but personally I thought the graphics were incredibly pretty. I really dig the whole lo-fi, stylistic feel of the graphics. I could just look at it forever. It looks so simple and crisp at the same time I can hardly believe it.

In case no one noticed yet, yeah, I love this game. I've had even more fun with this than with Fallout back in the day, which is the game that really got me into gaming in the first place. It's kind of weird that it's another turn-based, isometric, post-apocalyptic RPG that has me so excited but I guess that's the thing I'm into...

Anyway, buy it, if you're anything like me, you'll get many, many hours out of it, and enjoy every one of those hours.

Btw, I haven't played it with the cheat engine for the speedhack. It's slow-paced, and that is all right with me.

warning though, the graphic is much worse than any crpg you ecounter (even fallout engine were more better)

warning though, the graphic is much worse than any crpg you ecounter (even fallout engine were more better)
Eeeh? I think the graphics is fine, certainly better looking than Age of Decadence. With lots of varied and unique assets, combined with top-notch art direction (for a top-down isometric cRPG, that is), it invokes just the right amount of immersion and atmosphere (I mean, God, look at the Institute of Tchort!). Too bad there's no "Look at, perform a skill at, use an item at" functionality, and there's quite a lot of interact-able stuff in the gameworld.

I disagree that Fallout engine were better, but I would agree Fallout (especially with the Hi-res patch, and on the setting to make the game looks the way it meant to be played like the first time it came out) still looks fine in 2016.

So, there was another Underrail thread here, but it was more of a discussion on builds and on how to get started. I don't want to necro it, and with the new update I guess I want to make a new discussion about the game, and also to liven up things in NMA. Although I personally posted this thread because I've got some question, I made it to be more of a general Underrail discussion. If the mods/admins feel this thread is redundant and have to be merged to that other thread anyway, feel free to do so.

So, I want to ask you guys, did any of you know how to trigger Dan Forte's dialogue about Gorsky? I've already post a question to a relevant thread in Underrail's forum, but up until now no one answered it :( I don't know, perhaps the new update messed up or what, but I've re-do the Foundry's questline like 5-6 times now, with no apparent way to trigger the dialogue with Dan about Gorsky and vice versa.

I never had any problems with that one in particular. I think Gorsky leaves for Core City, then you can go speak with Dan. I don't remember how I was choosing the options, but when I was exhausting the conversation the story always comes up. Then you can go speak with Gorsky about Dan, as well.

Per suggestion and also to rouse the thread, here's a vid on Underrail's expansion by Sseth.

I feel like I should restart my campaign seeing as I lost track of my in-game goals.

Back