Van Buren gets some publicity.

D

Deleted member 98605

What cha think? It won't spark a revolution but more publicity can't hurt, eh?

Apparently Avellone and co are looking into a spiritual successor? That's news to me; but if nukes are involved it fits his lore-style.

Last edited by a moderator:

What cha think? It won't spark a revolution but more publicity can't hurt, eh?

Apparently Avellone and co are looking into a spiritual successor? That's news to me; but if nukes are involved it fits his lore-style.

Van Buren looked like shit. I always hated that engine. It would have still been better than Fallout 3.

But it has options to operate vehicles compared to all footsloggings in Beth games

Van Buren looked like shit. I always hated that engine. It would have still been better than Fallout 3.

I agree with the former but not with the latter. I dislike the plot of Van Buren and its ideas were better implemented in both Fallout 3 and New Vegas. Take how Joshua Graham was to be in Van Buren. An incredibly powerful companion that had the drawback of ostracizing you to almost all factions because he used to be 'evil.' Ugh.

He is much better in Honest Hearts and a fan favorite for a reason. It's much more interesting to have a character we have heard was a total monster, and see them redeemed while witnessing the risk of them slipping. Better than having a hated character who hasn't really reached the point of repentance yet.

Maybe he would have reached redemption in Van Buren, but it's a moot point because we just don't know what was planned, so don't dare argue in hypotheticals. I hate that.

Then there are the Trogs of Hoover Dam that were originally just going to be a community of blonde albino human-looking middle aged men. Much better in The Pitt DLC.

You definitely speak for yourself Pwener.

I would have preferred the plot of Van Buren because whatever Fallout 3 took from it did not come anywhere near the design of Van Buren.

The Trogs in The Pitt were pretty much a throwaway animal like mutant. The ones in Van Buren may not be impressive but at least they have a deeper role than just being there to be shot.

Nah, Van Buren had a better plot than Fallout 3 by far. Anyone arguing otherwise is venturing down the path of Bethesda Apologists like Tagaziel and CT Phipps.

:silly:

Van Buren would have been something great when it comes to story. Only the Presper plotline is suspect. Everything else is golden. The Trogs would have likely been changed when it was determined they looked too goofy or whatever. Either way the ones we got in Pitt were throwaway nothing's like Tunnelers.

Fallout 3 didn't even try with the plot. Does Bethesda even have design documents? Or do they just use dry erase boards?

Everything else is golden.

Oh yeah? Freaking female ghoul whom you can impregnate is 'golden?' The hell?! Admit it, Van Buren was taking the silly aspects of Fallout 2 and cranking them to 11. I much more prefer the grounded plot of Fallout 3 even if it makes no sense.

Oh. Sorry. My poor english get the better of me.

I confused a force of expression with the literal sense of the thing. I thought it would be hell with the devil and everything. lol

Does Bethesda even have design documents? Or do they just use dry erase boards?
As far as I have read, they got it all—doesn't mean they read it all, or considered any of it important. I think they just mined it for marketable nuggets; (like 'Power Armor', and 'Bottle-Caps', and 'Enclave').

Oh yeah? Freaking female ghoul whom you can impregnate is 'golden?' The hell?! Admit it, Van Buren was taking the silly aspects of Fallout 2 and cranking them to 11. I much more prefer the grounded plot of Fallout 3 even if it makes no sense.

Fallout 3 is NOTHING but silly shit. Listen I know you played it first and it got you into the series, so you can't detach the shit from the shat, but it is pretty easy. I won't waste time making total sense I will just blurt a series of words out and people will know what I mean:

Megaton nuke Ghoul
Little Lamplight Immortals
Emo Vampires
Dave
Behemoth Fatman
Ant vs Robot Comic
Mothership Zeta
Knights of the Round BoS

---

Van Buren lets you fuck a Ghoul and knock her up. So silly people might actually do that if Ghouls existed in real life. I mean...

Lizard-man-400167.jpg

In OUR world.

---
@Gizmojunk No, I mean do they make their own for their games?

Fallout 3 is NOTHING but silly shit. Listen I know you played it first and it got you into the series, so you can't detach the shit from the shat, but it is pretty easy. I won't waste time making total sense I will just blurt a series of words out and people will know what I mean:

Megaton nuke Ghoul
Little Lamplight Immortals
Emo Vampires
Dave
Behemoth Fatman
Ant vs Robot Comic
Mothership Zeta
Knights of the Round BoS

---

Van Buren lets you fuck a Ghoul and knock her up. So silly people might actually do that if Ghouls existed in real life. I mean...

Lizard-man-400167.jpg

In OUR world.

---
@Gizmojunk No, I mean do they make their own for their games?

I disagree with everything except Mothership Zeta and people wanting to shag a ghoul. But even then, Fallout 2 is still sillier - and most people here like that one. Also, I don't take this nonsensical franchise as seriously as the rest you, even if my sig leads you to believe otherwise.

I disagree with everything except Mothership Zeta and people wanting to shag a ghoul. But even then, Fallout 2 is still sillier - and most people here like that one. Also, I don't take this nonsensical franchise as seriously as the rest you, even if my sig leads you to believe otherwise.
I don't take it seriously at all.

Disagree other without any content is just another showcase of the person's Ah-Q mentality.

I don't take it seriously at all.

Well it seems that you do. Or maybe it's late and I'm way too tired and reading every disagreeable post like a personal attack. Probably the latter. Also, the sig joke at the end should have pointed out very clearly I was joking.

Disagree other without any content is just another showcase of the person's Ah-Q mentality.

Get new material.

Well it seems that you do. Or maybe it's late and I'm way too tired and reading every disagreeable post like a personal attack. Probably the latter. Also, the sig joke at the end should have pointed out very clearly I was joking.

Get new material.

I care about the series, but I never took it seriously. I played Fallout 1 and 2 at the same time. The goofy shit wasn't separate from canon when I played it. People didn't really make a big deal about shit like that back then that I know of, but I didn't exist online in 1998 and 1999. I didn't have many friends that played these types of games though. Of course forums like this were around, people talked about lore, but this culture we have here today in 2018...focused on canon, semi-canon, fanon, with some not even knowing how to spell canon instead spelling CANNON...

I went into Fallout 3 knowing it would be different, but liking Morrowind, and kind of liking Oblivion. I gave it a chance. I didn't loathe it. I don't despise Bethesda at the core of my being, so much to where it twists my perspective of reality. I am by nature a realist. I have went on record saying nitpicking lore and obsessing over minor details is not only pointless, but bad for your mental health, and the entire franchise is ridiculous when it comes down to it. There is no consistency whatsoever.

That being said Van Buren at least was true to the roots of the series. Let me ask you this...

Why are unkillable children not silly to you?
Is Moira turning into a Ghoul when getting hit by a nuke not silly?

When you reduce it like that, it sounds silly. But when you read what Belle is (born ghoul), how she came to be conceived (the vast research and cruel experiments on humans, etc), how you need high Endurance for that to happen, etc. It stops sounding silly and actually makes sense.
It is all very well explained and told how and why it can happen in game and provides lore friendly information.

It is way less silly than having a full settlement of little kids that are immortal and manage to keep Super Mutants away using peashooters. Or a settlement of cannibals turned into vampires that can magically sense when someone else like them is nearby. Or how a settlement of inbred cannibals that have existed since the bombs fell, living in pre-war houses, only wearing pre-war civilian clothes and without any powerful weapons manage to survive for 200 years only eating humans, whithout being already killed by a yaoguai, deathclaw, raiders, BoS, slavers, super mutants, Outcasts, etc.

Yep, Van Buren's born ghoul girl that can be impregnated by a virile, sturdy character (and it's very well explained why it can happen in game) is definitely much more silly. :crazy:

Back