Fallout 2 mod Various smaller Fo2 mods

Lexx

Testament to the ghoul lifespan
Modder
A small mod I did today out of boredom...

"Show Loot Weight" (the name is work in progress, I guess) is a lightweight carry weight indicator for the loot and stealing interface. Similar to what Crafty did in his Sfall for Fo1, this mod will show the available space in a container.

ShowLootWeight.png

For a download link, see the attached file to this post. It is also uploaded to the ettu repo here and will likely be part of the next release, whenever that is going to happen (I don't know yet).

Extract the folder into \mods\, then open the ddraw.ini, go to [ExtraPatches] and add "PatchFile[number]=mods\ShowLootWeight" at the end of the "PatchFile"-list. If there is more than one additional mod already, make sure to correctly number the "PatchFileX" entry (1, 2, 3, ...).

This mod is compatible with any Fo2 mod as long as it uses the latest Sfall release.

Keep in mind that this mod should not be used in combination with the Inventory Filter mod. Not because it will conflict, but because it's redundant ... Inventory Filter has a similar feature, but also much, much more, while the point of this mod here is to be as lightweight as possible.

Attachments

Last edited:
Another small just-for-fun mini-mod similar to the lightweight carry weight indicator, cobbled together in a day: Fallout 2 timer notes.

fo2_pip_timers.png

In the spirit of Fallout 1's water timer, this mod adds PipBoy post-it notes to 3 timed quests in Fallout 2:
- Refuel the still (Klamath),
- Find Karl (Modoc),
- and the Salvatore guard assignment (New Reno).

This mod is compatible with Fo2 vanilla, the unofficial patch, and the restoration project - as long as the latest Sfall release is used. For a download link, see the attached file to this post.

Extract the folder into \mods\, then open the ddraw.ini, go to [ExtraPatches] and add "PatchFile[number]=mods\fo2_pip_timers" at the end of the "PatchFile"-list. If there is more than one additional mod already, make sure to correctly number the "PatchFileX" entry (1, 2, 3, ...).

Attachments

Last edited:
New mod that has been made possible with the latest sfall 4.3.6 release.

fo2_resting_encounters.png

"Fo2 Resting Encounters" brings back terrain-specific maps for when the player decides to stop by himself on the worldmap, just like it works in Fallout 1. If you stop in the desert, it will be a desert map, if you stop over city terrain, it will be a city map, and so on. The mod itself is pretty basic and only picks from a few selected maps of each kind. However, it is compatible with vanilla Fo2 and the UPU/RPU, as long as the latest sfall release is used.

Note: I suggest to set WorldMapTerrainInfo to 1 in the ddraw.ini file, so that you can see the current terrain when moving the mouse over the green triangle.

Extract the folder into \mods\, then open the ddraw.ini, go to [ExtraPatches] and add "PatchFile[number]=mods\fo2_resting_encounters" at the end of the "PatchFile"-list. If there is more than one additional mod already, make sure to correctly number the "PatchFileX" entry (1, 2, 3, ...).

Last edited:
New mod: "Alternative Worldmap"

fo2_alternative_wm.png

This mod is supposed to be used with "Fo2 Resting Encounters" from further above. The Fallout 2 worldmap has various terrain tiles set as "city", which are impossible to recognize for players. With this mod enabled, those tiles have actual visible city ruins on them.
It's using the modified Fo2 worldmap by @.Pixote. as base, because in my opinion the style fits better to this than the vanilla worldmap colors.

This mod is compatible with Fo2 vanilla, the unofficial patch, and the restoration project. For a download link, see the attached file to this post.

I suggest to use the following settings in the ddraw.ini file for a better travel experience when using this mod:
Code:
ExpandWorldMap=1
WorldMapTravelMarkers=1
TravelMarkerColor=134
TravelMarkerStyles=1:2,2:1,1:2,1:2
WorldMapTerrainInfo=1

To use this mod, open the ddraw.ini, go to [ExtraPatches] and add "PatchFile[number]=mods\fo2_alternative_wm" at the end of the "PatchFile"-list!
The game will now load the additional mod folder.

If there is more than one additional mod, make sure to correctly number the "PatchFileX" entry (1, 2, 3, ...).

Attachments

• scr00004.png
    scr00004.png
    1,015.5 KB · Views: 323
Last edited:
Wooof that Alternate FO2 map is looking GUD. Always found it funny how the FO1 map is better looking than the bland-as-hell FO2 map. Excellent work there, Lexx!

Thanks, but most of the work on this one was done by .Pixote. I just added new city ruins to it.

Next day of the moddathon.

"Tell-Me-About" in Fallout 2.

fo2_tma.png

With this mod, the "Tell-Me-About"-feature from Fallout et Tu gets introduced into Fallout 2! It's configurable and can be tweaked to a varying degree. It is compatible with Fo2 vanilla, the unofficial patch, and the restoration project - as long as the latest Sfall release is used.

This mod can also be used with any other total conversion, as long as someone spends the time on writing actual NPC responses and filling out the config file.

Note: Currently this is more or less a modder resource. Most NPCs in the vanilla game don't have TMA lines written for them, and the configuration (and written text) in this mod is unfinished. If someone wants to help with filling it out, be my guest. Pretty sure I won't be able to write all that stuff.

To use this mod, open the ddraw.ini, go to [ExtraPatches] and add "PatchFile[number]=mods\fo2_tma" at the end of the "PatchFile"-list!
The game will now load the additional mod folder.

If there is more than one additional mod, make sure to correctly number the "PatchFileX" entry (1, 2, 3, ...).

Attachments

Last edited:
New mini-mods:

1. Alternative 14mm Pistol. Not much to say about this one. Changes the inventory graphic to the one NovaRain made, and tweaks the damage dealt to make it fit better between the Desert Eagle and .223 pistol. Works with every Fallout mod.

2. Tiny Rebalance. This mod makes food items more valuable, or rather, gives them a reason to exist in the first place. Also tweaks Stimpaks to make them less powerful - usually I'm ending the game with shitton of them in my inventory, now that's not the case anymore.

Additionally, this mod has the option of dealing with excessive loot from killed critters (enabled by default, check .ini file). On death of a critter, randomly half of its inventory will be deleted now. It's still possible to farm encounters for loot to make an endless amount of money, but it feels at least a little more reasonable now.

New: Footprints prototype mini-mod.

footprints.png

Humans will leave footprints in soft sand when moving around. Currently only compatible with ettu and not vanilla fo2/rpu/upu. This is really just some random toying around / proof of concept kind of thing. Not sure if I will keep working on this.

/Edit: There is now a version that works with Fo2/UPU/RPU.

Last edited:
I would like this as one download that works in conjunction with the UP and RP like the FO2 tweaks mod. There's already a list of additional mods for the RP, all of the mods in this thread would feel at home there.

Last edited:
Everything with 2 legs (set in proto file) will leave footprints. Footprints.ini can be used to change object delete times. Dunno how many objects the game can survive. Had it running for quite a while with lots of NPCs and nothing bad happened. However, it's still just a test of sorts, so I'm not guaranteeing for anything.

Neat mods, Lexx!

On the "heal up to 10hp over the next two minutes" thing: How does that work in combat?
The +healing rate for food is a clever idea, surprised I never thought about it.

About 14mm Pistol: Its a massive hand-canon, its funny that its given only an AP round, because with that bullet size, featuring a JHP bullet would make more sense. I can see why it uses 12.7mm/.50 AE in FNV, 14mm is some wristbreaker shit.

On Footprints: I feel like that could be pretty interesting in mods where Sneak gets a lot of use. You could interpret NPC patrol patterns that way, even if you have to remain unseen. Could also figure well in situations where one has to follow people and use Outdoorsman to track them.

The RPU .dat file is overwriting the footstep mod files (good example for why I hate auto-loading mods). If you copy&paste the art folder from /mods/fo2_footprints/ into your fallout2/data/ it should work correctly, I guess.

The RPU .dat file is overwriting the footstep mod files (good example for why I hate auto-loading mods). If you copy&paste the art folder from /mods/fo2_footprints/ into your fallout2/data/ it should work correctly, I guess.
It didn't work but then i copied also proto + scripts into /data and it worked :ok:
TY

Yes, proto files are also overwritten by it. I have no idea why the RPU has a copy of those files in its .dat if it doesn't change them in any way.

Back