Wasteland 3 announced, crowdfunding campaign to start on 5th of October

Total turnoff, imo. Also I don't like the art style in these screenshots at all.

Pro: Wasteland 3!!!

Con: No inXile Fallout anytime soon

I am still pissed about the W2 "Director's Cut". They had the chance to improve the game so much, but they decided to focus on stuff like more voice over... something nobody needed. Really, now that I am thinking about it, the W2 DC is actually nothing but the console port with console features for console plebs and they slapped "Director's Cut" on it, because it sounds better.

I am still pissed about the W2 "Director's Cut". They had the chance to improve the game so much, but they decided to focus on stuff like more voice over... something nobody needed.

Console peasants needed it apparently.

EDIT: Full disclosure - I am also a console peasant, but I didn't need more VO. But I was a PC guy before getting any consoles. *shrug*

I am still pissed about the W2 "Director's Cut". They had the chance to improve the game so much, but they decided to focus on stuff like more voice over... something nobody needed. Really, now that I am thinking about it, the W2 DC is actually nothing but the console port with console features for console plebs and they slapped "Director's Cut" on it, because it sounds better.
they should look at what larian did with divinity original sin EE, its really a proper director cut that doesnt alienating PC fanbase (and even make PC user feel superior)

take it with grain of salt folks, there's something wrong with inxile today and its thing that even rpg codex are seem to worry about.

Quirks and perks was new though. And improved combat IIRC.
They also added in the AIM feature of Fallout 1/2, kind of. (Precision strike)

[edit]

I dislike the idea of co-op though. It's the usual thing where the developers behind a singleplayer game looks at a fellow game and goes "well gee, they got multiplayer, we gotta do it too!"

For fucks sake InXile... Don't fucking do it. Just focus on the singleplayer experience...

[edit2]

Shit... We're going to be rangers again... I don't really like that. Rangers are too goody goody two shoes and it pretty much funnels you into making certain choices as to not alienate the Rangers and risk getting the pointless "you're kicked out" penalty.

I mean, fine, we're going to be new to the area and be able to make "our reputation for ourselves" but I still fear that the 'Ranger name' will favour being good over being grey, douchbagy or flat out evil.

[edit3]

At least it sounds like they're dropping the topic dialogue system in favour for an actual branching dialogue system. I just wonder how that will work with multiple PC's.

[edit4]

At least a frozen land will be interesting to see in a post-apocalyptic setting.

Anyway, it sounds like they are promising a bit too much with this and trying to juggle too many balls in the air. First of all we have the core game, Wasteland. Now I like Wasteland 2 but I'll admit that it had a lot of really rough edges. For example; There is a lot of times where you can't avoid combat or properly position your PC's, you practically just have to blunder into the enemies line of sight and activate combat. There are also maps that are a bit too big and should have been divided up into districts ala Fallout 1/2's design. I mean, running from one end to the other up at Rail Nomads got fucking tiresome real quick. Then we have the dialogue which was topic based, meaning that there wasn't a whole lot of branching happening, just isolated nodes of exposition.

With Wasteland 3 it sounds like they're fixing the dialogue (yes, fixing, cause fuck topic dialogue) and it sounds like they're trying to implement more variety to its combat (vehicles).

But... Base building? Resource management? Co-op? Along with the rough edges that they've yet to prove that they can polish when it comes to a Wasteland game?

I want to be optimistic, but this doesn't sound good. It just makes me think of Fallout 4 and games of such ilk to be honest. What are kids into these days? Oh multiplayer! Yeah, DOS had a co-op feature, let's have that! And what else are they into... Well, base building and resource gathering/management seems to be really popular, let's throw that in there too!

I guess I'll simply have to wait and see. But so far I'm more sceptical than optimistic.

Oh and when the fuck is the 'Climb' skill making a return!?

Last edited:
Wasteland 2 was kind of disappointing for me. Its combat was good, but its pacing and the ending, which seemed like it was taken out of the Saturday morning cartoon book of cliches, were pretty terrible. Nonetheless, I'm pretty intrigued with the idea of a snowy post-apocalyptic wasteland. It's a change of scenery from the usual desert motif and the screenshots look pretty nice. Plus, more tactical turn-based combat can only be a good thing IMO. The only thing that I'm concerned about is that "Survival is difficult" comment. I'm probably reading way too much into it, but I hope that doesn't mean they are planning some sort of ARK/Minecraft survival elements. I don't really care for the co-op either. It seems like they are trying to ape Larian's success with D:OS with that addition. Despite that, consider me cautiously optimistic.

Wasteland 2 was kind of disappointing for me. Its combat was good, but its pacing and the ending, which seemed like it was taken out of the Saturday morning cartoon book of cliches, were pretty terrible. Nonetheless, I'm pretty intrigued with the idea of a snowy post-apocalyptic wasteland. It's a change of scenery from the usual desert motif and the screenshots look pretty nice. Plus, more tactical turn-based combat can only be a good thing IMO. The only thing that I'm concerned about is that "Survival is difficult" comment. I'm probably reading way too much into it, but I hope that doesn't mean they are planning some sort of ARK/Minecraft survival elements. I don't really care for the co-op either. It seems like they are trying to ape Larian's success with D:OS with that addition. Despite that, consider me cautiously optimistic.
Maybe it's New Vegas kind of Survival; focus on perks to paliate it, items and enviromental danger.
Or a twist to that little Canteen mechanic in WL2

We're thrilled to announce Wasteland 3! This new game will be set in the frozen wastes of Colorado, and will include revamped combat featuring vehicles, let you lead a Ranger Base, and will have a story with deep choice & consequence that you can enjoy either single-player or multiplayer!
PLZ NO!!! Sounds like they are gonna turn game into Arpg :|

PLZ NO!!! Sounds like they are gonna turn game into Arpg :|
nothing mentioned here sounds like it’s really worth their time. Prettier? Ok, sure fine. Not really nec. but gotta be expected. Cinematic camera? Meh. Multiplayer? I mean, it sounds like a cool take on it, but it’s not really what I am interested in for Wasteland.

i mean really, we are talking about inxile

We're thrilled to announce Wasteland 3! This new game will be set in the frozen wastes of Colorado, and will include revamped combat featuring vehicles, let you lead a Ranger Base, and will have a story with deep choice & consequence that you can enjoy either single-player or multiplayer!
That sounds like Fallout Tactics though. No reason to fear that... yet

"Wasteland 2's deep tactical turn-based combat "

lol

Still haven't finished WL2. That game has some really poor design choices at certain moments that annoy the hell out of me.

On the other hands, good news. I am glad that Wasteland as a franchise lives on, and is in (relatively) good hands. I just hope developers learned something from the mistakes they made in WL2 and shit that is Director's Cut.

ew.jpg

I'll throw up.gif

Reason X-COM had it was so it would look "cool" to the kids who wouldn't touch a game without action scenes, now budget will be wasted on this shite for Wasteland 3. Remember the budget Wasteland 2 got and what they managed to do with it? Yeah. Imagine them now creating a game even more ambitious than its predecessor with co-op features and cinematic cams and base building.

God damn it InXile, what the fuck are you doing?

[edit]

"While the game itself promises to be a bit shorter at 50 hours"
Oh, great. Wonderful. There's nothing I love more than a bloated game that is padded to the brim. :rolleyes:

View attachment 5912

View attachment 5913

Reason X-COM had it was so it would look "cool" to the kids who wouldn't touch a game without action scenes, now budget will be wasted on this shite for Wasteland 3. Remember the budget Wasteland 2 got and what they managed to do with it? Yeah. Imagine them now creating a game even more ambitious than its predecessor with co-op features and cinematic cams and base building.

God damn it InXile, what the fuck are you doing?

[edit]

"While the game itself promises to be a bit shorter at 50 hours"
Oh, great. Wonderful. There's nothing I love more than a bloated game that is padded to the brim. :rolleyes:
By cinematic camera they must mean just zooming at a shoulder perspective and watch them shoot right? It usually looks funny if it's just that, i turn them off for Fire Emblem to make the pace a bit more dynamic.

Back