Wasteland 3: General thread

They've added little cartoon characters to go with the skills. A fat robot and a skinny robot. They seem very similar in style to Vault Boy, but I kind of like them. They're pretty tongue-in-cheek, so I am willing to accept their presence.

Literally just going through character customization now. One thing I note is that we're down to just Kiss Ass and Hard Ass now. Smart Ass as a speech skill seems to be gone. It doesn't seem to be rolled into another skill either.

Literally just going through character customization now. One thing I note is that we're down to just Kiss Ass and Hard Ass now. Smart Ass as a speech skill seems to be gone. It doesn't seem to be rolled into another skill either.

Perhaps they just do straight intelligence checks? I haven't started it yet myself. Been busy with work. So I'm just taking a wild guess. :P

I'm not sure, I played through the tutorial area with a friend. Options that aren't available, like kiss ass are written red to indicate I can't use them, and I've not seen anything that resembles a general intelligence check outside of actual use on world objects.

I do also hear of and had some issues with getting co-op to work. I'll go on record here and say that the workaround I and my friend found was to use Hamachi to set up a private VPN, since we already had one set up for playing Victoria II. He's on GoG and I'm on Steam. If you're planning to co-op with a friend, for now I think the best recommendation is to just both of you use Steam so the invitation system in-game works. You can also use my solution, but just be warned it seems to be a bit rough on release, and a lot of people are having problems.

I've read of people having other problems I've yet to encounter, like quests disappearing and needing to be redone in co-op, so I would recommend checking to ensure everything is fine and making a manual save every thirty minutes or something.

I do understand that level of jank is probably a dealbreaker for a lot of people. It's not for me, but I'm throwing it out there as a warning for people who won't tolerate that sort of thing.

AGl0EcB.png

The game satisfies the dollar per hour fun ratio, although I don't think everyone would want to pay the full price for it. If you can get 25 % or more off, then go for it.

A lot of people are comparing D:OS2 and W3. That's, of course, mostly outside of NMA, but I guess I can talk about some of that if it helps folks make a decision. I think both of these titles are relatively similar in terms of how good they are as games overall. I am not a particularly big fan of D:OS2, but I don't ignore what the game did well.

Visually DOS2 is better and it generally runs a lot smoother than W3, courtesy of the Infinity engine inXile used. However, I do think that D:OS2 goes full ham in terms of how good it looks graphically, especially since other areas of the game are lacking(maybe because of that, maybe not.) That said W3 still looks good. It has great environmentals and effects, and the world map is a joy to traverse.

Both are excellent when it comes to their soundtrack, but W3 is bolder as it's artistic choice makes it stand from the crowd, whereas DOS2 is more on the generic side of things.

The voicing in W3 is excellent. The majority of the characters' lines are expertly delivered and it really helps to communicate what type of people you're dealing with - bloodthirsty maniacs, scared refugees on the run, revenge-driven weakling, hardened wasteland survivors, ect.

In terms of story I prefer W3. DOS2 is great in its beginning acts but falls flat later on. W3 manages to be more concise and consistent all from tonal, lore, world-building and story-telling perspective. There are some flops along the way, but those are relatively minor.

W3 manages to paint a decent political picture with some great and believable characters along the way. It doesn't bombard you with a lot of details, rather gives you the essentials and lets you plough on. You're starved on how you can react to it all from the perspective of the player, but that's more acutely felt because the world of W3 is well presented. What I mean is - because the world and characters feel so believable you do want to leave your imprint as the player. Unfortunately, you don't have that many options in term of choice.

Gameplay-wise W3 remains more consistent as the hordes of drools, Payasos, Godfishers, robots, ect., remain much deadlier in comparison to the strength of the player than anything DOS2 can throw your way. There's even some basic dungeon-crawling with traps, minor puzzles to solve and money, ammo and healing stuff are generally tight for the majority of the game. Drugs, consumables and the various bits and bobs that can be used during combat have significant impact, but you also have to be careful how much you spent in a given encounter. It is easy to go over.

W3 strikes a middling position between a hardcore crpg and a more simplistic, casual one. You generally can't fail when building a character as mostly any stat is useful for any character(the Pillars of Eternity mantra), provided you remember that Strength increases melee damage and not ranged one. You won't have enough points to put in everything, but as long as you take account of what a certain character is better at - for example running quicker, building special attack quicker, not being able to take critical hits, ect. - you won't have significant road blocks. You will still have to be careful on the higher difficulties of the game. Me, being a rpg vet had to reload the game twice due to failed combat encounter on it's highest difficulty, but I suppose millage can vary here.

All in all - this game is suitable for the working guy, fan of the post-apoc rpgs of old. A very thorough play-trough will take about 60 hours, but you can very well complete the game in 40 or less.

What's with all the gay indie songs and covers in this fucking game, it feels like Mark Morgan or whoever else was in charge was railing some alternative chick and included all this shit to get some nookie. The rest or the soundtrack isn't much to write home about either in my opinion.

I love that they added less RNG oriented percentage shoot, but rather individually calculated bullet based on game engine physics. Like the same mechanci from Phoenix Point, but that game had fallen from my attention due to the scummy practise and community neglient developer. So Wasteland 3 is perfect replacement for me, i kinda take it as that game with decent rpg content by one of the father of fallout series.

I asked the developers on discord and got an answer. Seems it's gonna take some time:

Achievement issues are known to us, not likely to be addressed in our next update (tentatively planned for early-ish next month). So the fix(es) will be sometime thereafter, but not by too long of a shot. That's about as specific as I can be on that just now.

Well just watched the ending of Battle of Steeltown. Don't know about the rest of the quality of the DLC but at least the endline plot was much more interesting to me than that of the Patriarch and his kids, and Angela Deth.

Still not going to buy this though.

New patch!

The Battle of Steeltown

Balance

• The special Steeltown armor is now more affordable, and it drops more often. We want players to get into the new armor more easily, as it’s designed to withstand Steeltown’s elemental-heavy weapons. Also, it looks cool.

• Non-lethal playthroughs were more challenging than intended. We’ve made a number of changes to improve the reliability of Disruption weapons and slightly boost their effectiveness in response to player feedback.

• Disruption Baton hit chance increased to 85%.

• Disruption Pulser’s mag size increased to 10 and its hit chance to 80%.

• Disruption Web Launchers hit chance increased to 95%.

• Disruption Trap’s AP cost reduced to 4.

• Heavy Disruption Blaster had its AP cost reduced to 5 but its reload cost increased to 4.

• Disruption Sniper AP cost reduced to 6.

• Rioter punch damage reduced by 50% and powerfist impact damage increased by 10%.

• Mechanic sniper damage bonus reduced by 10%.

• Foundry Worker and Exo-Tech basic attack damage reduced by 50%. Their ability damage was unchanged.

• Maintenance Worker melee damage reduced by 10%.

• Construction Worker hit chance reduced by 10%.

Gameplay

• The Patriarch now properly acknowledges all possible Steeltown outcomes, which is good because dealing with the Patriarch is not an insignificant part of the game.

• Addressed an issue where loading a save during a cutscene could cause the game to display the cutscene bars for the remainder of that session. Imagine just waiting for that loooong cutscene to end. Something’s going to happen at any moment… Nope.

• Skipping the conversation with the Computation Engine could cause some weird bugs. Were they bugs though or did the Computation Engine just not appreciate being skipped?

• Resolved a softlock that could occur if a player (somehow) initiated combat with Guard-Bots after opening the Steeltown gate but before the Ghost Gang arrival.

• Resolved an issue where the Gift of the Magi mission was not being failed when a player sided with Crow to eliminate Markham.

• Blue now takes the correct amount of money during the Degausser negotiation.

• Resolved an issue where squad members would pop in and out of cover like deranged jack-in-the-boxes.

• Players will now no longer lose access to the Steeltown merchants after the raid, which is nice.

• All NPCs on the Admin Level will now properly react to Crow and Blue being in charge, *cough* ...if that’s at all how things play out for you. Not saying they need to, you do you.

• Hacked Guard-Bots in the Steeltown Spire will no longer block the path to the witches. I mean switches! lol I can’t believe I did that. I’m so random! xoxo

• Assistance by Steeltown’s Computation Engine was extremely infrequent. We made it less infrequent by a specific percentage which you can never know.

• Resolved an issue in the Steeltown Spire where the player was moved to a different spot than indicated when trying to interact with the Bot-Lift switch.

• Bot-Lifts won’t draw quite as much aggro from followers and animal companions as they did before. Promise.

• Dr. Breeler should no longer go missing after the raid. Strong emphasis on ‘should.’ He’s a free spirit.

• Luis at Steeltown’s gates will no longer repeat the same conversation after the Factory’s situation has been resolved.

• Bro, the Helping Hand bonus will like totally no longer activate before Handcraft offers help. It was pretty sketch but we fixed it up so you can get back to shredding the gnar.

• Resolved a softlock that could occur in the Steeltown Spire during cutscenes there.

• Resolved an issue that was preventing combat from ending when more than one robot was hacked on the player's side before the last enemy was killed.

• Destroying the generator at the Scrapyard bridge will no longer break the Ghost Gang behavior during combat.

• [PS4] Resolved some visual issues with the Power Loader attacks.

• [Xbox] Resolved an issue that could cause framerate to drop while players engaged in the first combat with the Ghost Gang.

Multiplayer

• Resolved an issue where a co-op player would not get pulled into the conversation with Markham and Crow if they were too far from the scene. Yoink!

• Addressed an issue that was resulting in the Kodiak’s parked location being desynchronized between the players. Alas, the philosophical debate about where Schrödinger's Kodiak is has finally been resolved.

• Resolved an issue where only the guest could participate in the radio call from the Steeltown Refugee after the area was completed and the party was leaving Steeltown.

• Resolved an issue where a softlock could occur when a guest spoke with Dr. Breeler as the session host spoke to Luis during the Flushed mission.

• Resolved an issue where Beals would appear hostile for the guest after the party defeated the Ghost Gang using non-lethal weapons.

• Resolved an issue that was preventing the guest player from being pulled into the final conversation with the Computation Engine. Double-yoink.

UI & Display

• Resolved a strange visual issue that was going on with Blue’s hair.

• Assembling the warbot now has all the sparks and flashing lights warranted by the creation of a mobile death-machine.

• The Power Loader melee smash now gibs and ragdolls bodies so you can feel the full effect of really screwing up that fight.

• While hovering on the switch to shut down the Bot-Lift in the Steeltown Spire, the movement preview will no longer show a random nearby space.

Audio

• Added the Disruption Turbine’s sound effects which were missing for its ambient, idle, and overloading states. What good is a turbine if it doesn’t go vrmmmvrmm, chunkachunk, and BRRZZZRRRZZ?

• The all-important THUD! sound has been added for when a player falls off the treadmill within the Administration level.

• Pressing the big, red, candy-like button to end the simulation in the Steeltown Spire now has proper sound effects.

Misc

• You can stop holding it, the outhouse is now usable.

• We’ve tweaked some things under the hood during the Steeltown final battle so that framerate doesn’t tank.

• [Linux] Resolved an issue that could cause the game to crash if the camera was rotated while the screen was focused on the Steeltown gates.

Base Game

Balance

• We’ve employed a general fix for crit damage calculations, which should help with one-shot crits from enemies. Don’t worry, you won’t have to do the calculations, the game will do that for you. I mean, you could on paper, but you don’t have to.

• We found that enemies were calculating a higher crit damage value than intended. We’ve corrected the calculation. Player crit damage is unchanged.

Gameplay

• Resolved an issue where hit chance previews would not display for enemies who weren't in your line of sight. Sneaky bastards thought they were just gonna go under the radar.

• We addressed the freak of nature situation that was happening in Ironclad’s makeshift jail area where combat could become bugged-out to the extreme, preventing players from proceeding with the combat there.

• The reward from the "Buzzkill" quest can no longer be acquired infinitely if Marshall Kwon is present in the squad.

• Resolved an issue that was preventing Benjie Braddock from giving the ventilation system password to the player after he’s been “assisted.”

• Resolved an issue that would sometimes prevent players from being able to click on the Kodiak to repair it during combat.

• Resolved a softlock that could occur after interacting with computers in Aspen when their connected turrets had been destroyed.

• [Xbox] We’ve employed stability fixes for a cutscene with Angela Deth at Hoon Homestead.

• [Steam] Resolved an issue where enemies would not attack the party when concurrent movement had been disabled.

UI & Display

• Resolved an issue where quickslot items could disappear after map transitions or save loads.

• Resolved an issue that could prevent a player from accessing their character’s abilities while that character was aiming.

• Resolved an issue where dialog barks would linger after combat ended. Do you have to, do you have to let it linger? Good luck not singing that for the rest of the day now.

• The “highlight all” button will now no longer make non-interactive corpses show an outline because who needs that nonsense?

• [Microsoft Store] We’ve attempted to fix an issue introduced with 1.4.0 that was causing the game to launch with the brightness defaulted to the lowest setting. If you continue to encounter this please report it through the inXile support site.

• [Controller] Resolved an issue that could prevent a player from selecting status effects in the inventory with a controller.

Oh, sounds like they combined two earlier ideas that did not make it into the main game.
Cheyenne Mountain and that cult that worshiped a nuclear explosion locked in stasis.

I wonder if the Faders will also appear.

Guess that hotel will not appear at all.

Back