Weapons and equipment.

• Thread starter Thread starter E
  • Start date Start date

E

It Wandered In From the Wastes
While I assume that everyone wants to use the standard array of weapons from Fallout 1/2. Are there any other weapons and equipment people think would be a worthy addition to the world? This could easily turn into the thread of armour piercing super katanas so proceed carefully.

A couple of odd weapons that might have been more prominent in an alternate time line.

A semi automatic revolver, supposedly quite accurate. The webley-fosbury

A genuine space gun. The TP-82. It's also a machete.

While I am not sure how it would fit in a pure fallout setting there are .50 caliber air rifles. The image of a wasteland sniper with a salvaged scuba tank on his back is appealing. The biggest bonus is ammo, which can be made over a camp fire if you find some lead.

While I am not sure how it would fit in a pure fallout setting there are .50 caliber air rifles. The image of a wasteland sniper with a salvaged scuba tank on his back is appealing. The biggest bonus is ammo, which can be made over a camp fire if you find some lead.
Umm... sure I guess.

Umm... sure I guess.
They had an air rifle in Metro 2033/Last light and it worked pretty well. Air rifles with "modern" power can take down deer sized game, so people are well with in their capability. Many of them also have arrow/bolt conversions and are more powerful than cross bows.

I guess everything can be a weapon if the GM/Overseer allows it and if the stats make sense.
Modern, real life weaponry doesn't really fit Fallout, but personally I think that improvised weaponry like that scuba tank air rifle is quite cool. Maybe a bit too Mad Max for some, but hey, would probably not be the main focus. But good for settings in less weaponized areas, when someone wants to run a campaign in Canada or Europe or something.

I don't know how it fits Fallout but Nagant looks like a decent weapon choice for a wasteland than Desert Eagle.

Perhaps newer garage guns? To explain;
a "garage gun" is a home made weapon, typically of the fully automatic variety, and normally based off of a pre existing template.

The reason I suggest such an outlandish form of weaponry is because in a "the world has ended" scenario people will inevitably begin to produce their own armaments. Having said the the quality of such arms does not actually need to be substandard or poor. Take a look at the gun runners, they managed quite well to re-arm the west.

So in this concept you could easily have a few high end guns/weapons floating around the waste that are actually fairly new. However there is the down side as there will most indeed be a great many worthless zip guns as well.

I often find adding a little bit of chaos to games to be worth while particularly if your DM makes players roll for loot based on various factors.

Image if you are using the basic special system and luck is a factor for all loot rolls, but even then the over all pay out is always at the option of the DM.

This could also aid in adding different layers of the game as players could receive various different qualities of the same gun template.

For example: a Standard 9mm Pistol
In this scenario the gun could potentially have different characteristics depending on the quality.
Zip gun version would be of course the lowest quality
Pre-war version would be considered the standard pattern
Rebuilt version would be a better version of the pre war version
Manufactured New version could be the best

In this scenario the requirements for use of the gun could be increased or reduced depending on the quality of the gun, like action points, weight, etc..

Other variables may also play a roll as a better crafted weapon could be more accurate, have more range, or suffer less stopages or "jinxed" moments.

Food for thought, have fun.

My opinion/thoughts

1. Zip gun version would be of course the lowest quality - single or double barrels. Rarely rifled (close/point blank range only). These single shot weapons often have to be disassembled to reload. Can be cartridge firing or muzzle loading.

2. Rebuilt version would be a workable (fixed) version of a pre war design. Semi auto but not as reliable as a pre war gun. may have newly hand made parts, springs, barrel etc.
3. Manufactured New gun- (could be old design or new design). All parts are newly made. may or may not have rifled barrel. More reliable than rebuilt gun
4. Pre-war version would be considered the most desirable and reliable... if in good condition. Most will be little more than scrap which could be used as parts for rebuild.

I kinda liked Fallout 2's 'modern-ish weapons all existed' type weapon loadout.

But I'd also love to see more of NV's stuff, civilians would own all sorts of bolt/lever/singleshot/etc guns.

Throw in more revolvers, the occasional rare piece like a PTRD or .700 elephant gun for the lulz.

If this is taking place in "whats left of the USA".... realistically there are 1000s of gun models that are not just plausible but likely.

Gun community estimates place the # of guns in the USA at close to 600 million. Official estimates are about 1/2 that and are patently inaccurate guesses.

Members of this forum have posted pictures of their privately owned guns and there are probably several thousand depicted.

You could probably get away with having categories based on gun type, caliber and model in a vague sense with specific guns listed as "specials or uniques" that are of higher quality (like legendary or rares).

IMO.

I don't quite get the point. Yes, realistically you'd have to make up stats for thousands of different guns, but that's not gonna happen. One could possibly create a system where the damage output and accuracy of a generic gun can be modelled by using the caliber and barrel length (in addition to magazine size and burst potential) so the players could make up any kind of gun at any point and have them make sense, but that might be overkilling the fluff. Still, worth a shot.

IMO its not a stretch to imagine guns being modifiable, NV did a good job at it, and it could be expanded.

Nothing is stopping you from making a larger belt box for an LMG, a longer barrel for an AR, or finding some nifty scope for a handgun.

But of course, there's limits to it, converting a bolt action to a belt fed is just silly.

Modifications should definitely be a possibility, as should be a large range of weapons.
But I guess this is an RPG, not a gunsmith simulator.

Modifications should definitely be a possibility, as should be a large range of weapons.
But I guess this is an RPG, not a gunsmith simulator.

For the most part, standardisation is with armies though, lone people tend to have some fancier stuff, so modification is just neat. ;D

One could possibly create a system where the damage output and accuracy of a generic gun can be modelled by using the caliber and barrel length (in addition to magazine size and burst potential) so the players could make up any kind of gun...

You are right that you say its overkill.
But why not letting the players create a gun and give it any damage they desire? I mean, it doesn't have to be forced to fit some rules.
And there is going to be a Game Master anyways. If he wants that gun in the game, he would approve it. If he found the damage too high, he could just reject it.

You are right that you say its overkill.
But why not letting the players create a gun and give it any damage they desire? I mean, it doesn't have to be forced to fit some rules.
And there is going to be a Game Master anyways. If he wants that gun in the game, he would approve it. If he found the damage too high, he could just reject it.
I agree, the Overseer and players can of course make up any weapon they desire as long as everyone is ok with it. Establishing a normalized system to recreate any sort of generic firearm would be an interesting thing to do, though.
Doesn't even need to be complicated. Depending on how damage rolls are done one could establish that a certain caliber has a base damage, with barrel length adding a damage modifier (plus x to maximum damage, for example). That way the player can for example turn a .44 Mag revolver into a carbine with higher damage, for example.
For energy weapons it would be something like plasma discharge chamber size + barrel size and so on.
In the end that's what players making up new weapons would do, anyway.
It all depends on how damage is calculated.

I liked the barrel-length system. It could be used for all the guns in the game, but it's needed to invest some thought on how to implement big weapons and shotguns and misc-y stuff.
Check my crash-design
IMG_20171013_191934.jpg

Back