What are your favourite FPS games?

I've not played honest FPS games in a long while, but when I still did play them, these were among the best for me:

Half Life
Half Life 2
Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis (+expansions)
Stalker series
Serious Sam The First Encounter
Postal 2

I did like stuff like Blood, Hexen, Duke Nukem 3D and Redneck Rampage etc. back in the day, but not as much as to throw them up there.

Modern FPS games are crud.

Last edited:
I'm a big fan of the Half-Life series + mods. They have been a great staple for a good while. However the new Doom game (Which I know some edge lord is going to bash now that I have listed it.) was very well designed and paced in my opinion. It also managed to maintain the basis of design from the originals with its core game mechanics.

Other than that, I honestly don't have a top 10 of FPS games. Mostly because a lot of them out there are well garbage in my opinion.

But I'm sure others here will list some good ones that will spark my memory.

That's assuming I like ten games of any genre. :V

I dunno, I like Painkiller and Serious Sam cause they're more gunny gunny shooters.

This but reserved. FPSes on build engine are my main favourites but shooters done in mid 2000s didn't really stood out for me.
That and Serious Sam 3, I think series is greatly evolved with this one.

Postal 2 was interesting more on it's immersive side. As a shooter and a game on UE2 it's complete garbage, sorry.

STALKER
Metro 2033
Half-Life through Episode 2
Doom
Original Bioshock

... I mean all that together is about 10, I guess. I love a good single player FPS but good ones are like unicorns.

I was a very big FPS fan years ago but like Kohno I also have not played any of the recent releases as they just don't appeal to me for one reason or another.

It will probably be more than just ten games for this list but I will not include any action-adventure games with First Person Perspective such as the Metroid Prime series or FPS-RPG hybrids such as for example the Deus Ex series.
I will also focus on FPS games I still play today or would play today, excluding FPS games that I enjoyed at back in the day but that have since then lost their appeal due to age.

And last, I won't bring up mods or total conversions such as Wolfendoom Blade of Agony as they run on a different FPS game and are not stand alone titles.

Half Life 1/Opposing Force/Blue Shift/Half Life 2/HL2 Episode 1/HL2 Episode 2
Jedi Knight Outcast/Jedi Academy
Unreal 1/Unreal Return to Na Pali
Star Trek Voyager Elite Force/Star Trek Elite Force 2
Return to Castle Wolfenstein/Wolfenstein 2009
Timesplitters Future Perfect
Doom 3/Resurrection of Evil
Aliens vs Predator 2
Descent 3

Metro 2033 for story and immersion only. I play a pretty boring game sneaking in the shadows and going for stealth all the time.

Bioshock 1 is also a lot of fun. Considerably Janky even for its time but I love the art style and personality the critters have in that game.

For multiplier games, still gonna go with cs 1.6 and Halflife LAN games with friends.

Oh yeah, totally forgot about Jedi Outcast, Elite Force, and AvP 2.

Well from the top of my head, I can name a few:
Painkiller, Doom, Half Life 1, Half Life 2, Metro series, STALKER

I don't like enough FPS games to make a top 10.

I like playing FPS but it's not a genre I go out of my way of playing.
Ones I like:
Portal (can it be considered an FPS? FPP?)
New Vegas
Wolfenstein New Order
Shadow Warrior
Team Fortress 2 (altho I've fallen out of it for a while now)
System Shock 2.

The original Doom and its mods
Heretic and Hexen
The build engine games(Blood, Shadow Warrior, Duke Nukem)
I kinda grow up with those above.
For more modern-ish games:
Serious Sam series(2 is okay-ish for me)
STALKER series(Still replay CoP every once a while)
Metro 2033 is great for at least one playthrough(Haven't touch Last Light since last time i try to play it, it almost destoryed my GPU for some reason)
I also enjoy some co-op of Killing Floor 1(haven't bought 2 yet)
Crysis 1 is still a better game for me than the rest of the series.
Postal 2 can be a fun game to play when you are either stressed or drunk.

1. Blood
  2. Shadow Warrior
  3. Duke Nukem
  4. Redneck Rampage
  5. Serious Sam
  6. Prey
  7. Half Life
  8. Hexen
  9. Doom
  10. Quake
    (Witchaven 2 & Heretic are tied for 11)

Last edited:
Tfw everyone loves a game but it's so clearly trash

Notable examples
Fallout 3/4
Skyrim
F.E.A.R

F.E.A.R had some of the best gunplay at it's time and the story was great. What was it you didn't like? I can understand the rest but not F.E.A.R.

Back