What "New" Fallout Fans Want?

Einhanderc7

Vat dipped, grown and still oozing with perfection
I have been looking around and I find myself a bit confused with a lot of the requests most of the newer fans are requesting of Bethesda as well the direction Fallout should go in.

To sum it up I'm seeing a lot of requests to turn Bethesda's Fallout skinned games into games intrinsically unrelated to Fallout in general.

For example:
  • More Settlement everything, basically city building at this point in time...
  • A Snap feature for settlements
  • Settlement wars
  • More town management options...
  • More crafting
  • More scavenging for crafting
  • More DLC's (ugh *Face Palm*)
  • Bring back the Fallout 3 karma system (*Cringe*)
  • It's own music (What does this even mean?)
  • Duel wield weapons...
  • Color changing cosmetics for items
  • Make your own synths...
  • More useless costume clothing
  • Radiation make player grow extra limbs...
  • More weapon and armor mods
  • Remove power armor
  • Vehicles
  • Allow real money to be used in game (wtf I can't even on this one)
  • Cooperative play
  • More magic guns *sigh*
  • Remastered Fallout 3
  • Fallout MMORPG
  • More Fallout mobile games
  • More Paid mods...
  • Simplified inventory
  • Simplified basically everything...
I didn't find anything of what I saw that was remotely closed to the Fallout basis of design. Looking at all of this it kind of makes me think Bethesda actually takes this junk seriously considering the state of the IP.
What nutty junk have you all seen fans asking Bethesda to add to the Fallout Franchise's future titles?

The aesthetic. That's what they want.

For me, an RPG is in the same category as a novel. It's a way to tell a story from multiple different perspectives, requring detail, subtlety, and finesse.

For them, an RPG is in the same category as a film. It's a way to sit back, relax, and enjoy a mindless, static story with an aesthetic they enjoy.

For me, Fallout is a genre. Arcanum is a Fallout game, but New Vegas is only tangentially related.

For them, Fallout is an aesthetic. Even Fallout 4 is a Fallout game for them.

The things they ask for, they're just the nice-to-haves. Give them the aesthetic, and they'll buy it.

latest

that's what they want
Actually, I take that back. They don't want shit, they want pablum.

Last edited:
They don't know what they want or don't what anything and gladly take anything bethesda offers.

So basically it's a hash of the most prevalent game trends since Minecraft, 'Survival Games', and Death-match oriented MMOs. Sounds about right and sadly is what Bethesda will churn out sooner or later for 5.

This is what happens when money is your absolute goal with few to little limits. There are things Bethesda won't do like outright sexual XXX rated animation prostitution, or child killing, but they will do as much as possible to get the LCD and their cash.

Bethesda's invinci-kid bullshit bothers me more than it should, come to think of it.

Invici-anyone is jarring when you come from 1, 2, or even NV where most can die outright. I thought my actions were supposed to have consequences? So why can't I kill this stupid druggie lady, or this Commonwealth dude? Or this damn *dog*?

The hand-holding is both patronizing and a way to safeguard Bethesda's poor, poor writers and scripters from doing any real work.

It's just funny because I never went Childkiller in 1 or 2 even on evil runs. (I did experiment with dynamite and the pickpocket kids in the Den once to see what would happen, but that's different) Yet the fact that the kids in 3 were immortal BOTHERED me in a way. Beth was willing to go all-out edgelord with shit like nuking Megaton for Tenpenny and cannibal Super Mutants, but a kid having a death animation would be too far? I mean, it's even implied that the kids in Megaton are incinerated in nuclear fire, but you never really see the result so to speak (which, to be fair, I suppose you wouldn't). So to Beth, it's OK if kids magically disappear with an implied incineration, but if you launch a Fat Man at the Little Lamplight kids you get nothing, good day sir. I'm trying to understand their logic here and failing miserably.

Last edited:
Yeah, essential NPCs are one of the biggest cancer in Bethesda games. New Vegas had one, it was Yes Man and that's because if you can kill him, you can't literally beat the game. He's basically a failsafe, so that you can do at least one of the main questlines.

My hatred for essential npcs was increased when i got a major bug in Oblivion. Basically, this prick became essential out of nowhere and at one point in a quest that he's involved, you have to kill him because he attacks you. i had to go to the console commands to change him back to killable.

Yeah, essential NPCs are one of the biggest cancer in Bethesda games. New Vegas had one, it was Yes Man and that's because if you can kill him, you can't literally beat the game. He's basically a failsafe, so that you can do at least one of the main questlines.

It also helps that Obsidian gave an ingame explanation as to why Yes Man can revive himself. He uploads himself onto another Securitron when his current model is destroyed. I can really appreciate things like that.

It also helps that Obsidian gave an ingame explanation as to why Yes Man can revive himself. He uploads himself onto another Securitron when his current model is destroyed. I can really appreciate things like that.
I'll be honest, i never knew that because i never tried to kill him. Tying up an ingame mechanic with story is one of the coolest things a dev can do.

I'll be honest, i never knew that because i never tried to kill him. Tying up an ingame mechanic with story is one of the coolest things a dev can do.

I only ever found out by playing a vengeful courier. I can only imagine how therapeutic it was for him to kill Yes Man over and over.

• More crafting
  • More scavenging for crafting
Sweet merciful zombie jesus, why??? It got so bad. It was already brutal in Fo3 and NV. Being an impossible extreme hoarder became necessary with Fo4. On the other hand, I would love it if the repair system had as much depth as NV crafting, and if maintenance of tools and kits replaced a lot of the stockpiling. Especially if it involved salvaging as you went along. That way carry weight could become more realistic, and managing inventory more engaging (especially with ammo).

• It's own music (What does this even mean?)
I assume they either mean more OST entries for the radio, as opposed to BGM. They made a couple of instrumental ones for Fo3 that I rather enjoyed. I guess people just assume they never tried to make any original 'period pieces'.

• Color changing cosmetics for items
What's wrong with that? It's not like dying clothing is implausible. What Fo needs more though is to have purely cosmetic clothing that can be worn with its functional armors and accessories, so that you can actually decide how you look based on something other than the stats of the items. Which is also much more realistic. I get tired of wearing a beret with sunglasses and a face mask.

• More magic guns *sigh*
Legendary effects? I don't understand why anyone let them add pure fantasy shit that would fit TES like a bespoked leather glove into a fucking post apocalyptic sci-fi series.

I have been looking around and I find myself a bit confused with a lot of the requests most of the newer fans are requesting of Bethesda as well the direction Fallout should go in.

To sum it up I'm seeing a lot of requests to turn Bethesda's Fallout skinned games into games intrinsically unrelated to Fallout in general.

For example:
  • More Settlement everything, basically city building at this point in time...

• A Snap feature for settlements
  • Settlement wars
  • More town management options...
In a spin off maybe
  • More crafting meh
  • More scavenging for crafting meh
  • More DLC's (ugh *Face Palm*) meh
  • Bring back the Fallout 3 karma system (*Cringe*) MEH
  • It's own music (What does this even mean?) Actually this one is reasonable. Post war music or alternate reality artist make sense
  • Duel wield weapons... Ok
  • Color changing cosmetics for items ok
  • Make your own synths... Nope
  • More useless costume clothing I personally enjoyed Wasteland double system. I'd like to see something like that implemented
  • Radiation make player grow extra limbs... This lookee interesting, if you could get some kind of Power instead of Limbs. A Tiny chance, of course
  • More weapon and armor mods OK
  • Remove power armor Dumb
  • Vehicles if balanced around
  • Allow real money to be used in game (wtf) I can't even on this one)
  • Cooperative play Pass pm that
  • More magic guns *sigh* yeah, dumb
  • Remastered Fallout 3 meh
  • Fallout MMORPG Big MEH
  • More Fallout mobile games Ok
  • More Paid mods... Dumb
  • Simplified inventory ???
  • Simplified basically everything(...)
I didn't find anything of what I saw that was remotely closed to the Fallout basis of design. Looking at all of this it kind of makes me think Bethesda actually takes this junk seriously considering the state of the IP.
What nutty junk have you all seen fans asking Bethesda to add to the Fallout Franchise's future titles?

Legendary effects? I don't understand why anyone let them add pure fantasy shit that would fit TES like a bespoked leather glove into a fucking post apocalyptic sci-fi series.

The biggest problem with legendaries is how little they actually mean. For all the Borderlands loot and shoot mimicry, they can't even imitate the effect of them acting as their own unique class of weaponry.

But even then, its still a shitty grind mechanic to inflate playtime.

Back