Why do people think Fallout 3 was actually good?

Fallout has always been a Western. Let's just admit that. It's a series about people resettling a harsh frontier, and beginning again. It is not "HAHA bombed out buildings, am I right fellow gamurz?! NUKES YOU CAN LAUNCH FROM A GLORIFIED SLINGSHOT!! FEV! MUTANTS! LOLOLOLOLOLL" and I'm starting to think that anyone who believes that it is, and enjoys this game, is a lobotomite.

Leonard Boyarsky out there saying that 80% of Fallout comes from Mad Max and people are seriously trying to ACKTULLY what the setting is supposed to be about based on vague shit that wasn't even pioneered by Westerns.

Leonard Boyarsky out there saying that 80% of Fallout comes from Mad Max and people are seriously trying to ACKTULLY what the setting is supposed to be about based on vague shit that wasn't even pioneered by Westerns.
Thank you for feeling the need to take a parody post seriously and then act like I’m the idiot.

But Mad Max is a sci-fi western. And Fallout was always a sci-fi western too.
So I don't know why people are arguing about this. :roffle:

I made a post about it here a while ago, so I will just quote it:
Risewild said:
I thought fallout was post apocalyptic with a retro-sci fi theme, don't see western.... maybe a bit in Fo2 with Redding.... but they mixed so much stuff in 2
It was always a sci-fi western. Sci-Fi western doesn't mean it's not a retro futuristic post apocalyptic though. The retro futuristic post apocalyptic actually works perfectly in case of Space/Sci-Fi Westerns. Because it makes a perfect world for the whole Western genre. Which is what I quoted up there, the definition.

I finally found a definition for Sci-Fi Western:
A science fiction Western is a work of fiction which has elements of science fiction in a Western setting. It is different from a Space Western, which is a frontier story indicative of American Westerns, except transposed to a backdrop of space exploration and settlement.

A science fiction Western occurs in the past, or in a world resembling the past, in which modern or future technology exists. The anachronistic technology of these stories is present because scientific paradigms occurred earlier in history but are implemented via industrial elements present at that time, or because technology is brought from another time or place.
So as you can see, it fits Fallout 1 perfectly. It occurs in a world resembling the past (people making new/recent settlements, shortage of resources, trading caravans including water trader caravans, sheriffs, cattle, tribals, outlaw/raider bands, most settlements are very low tech, etc), in which modern or future technology exists.
Here's a couple of sources for the sci-fi definition I quoted back there:
https://en-academic.com/dic.nsf/enwiki/1271430
http://www.artandpopularculture.com/Science_fiction_Western
The definition of sci-fi western is pretty spot-on for Fallout.

Seems these days people are confusing "space westerns" with "sci-fi westerns" though (or maybe they merged them together?). They used to be different genres.

But if anyone won't believe me, here are other sources:
Post-apocalyptic worlds are ideal for Western-type stories; the desolate worlds filled with small settlements and gangs of outlaws and the primitive sort of justice. It checks all the boxes without the potentially touchy subject matter involved in using the American West. But most post-apocalyptic Westerns rely too much on rote imitation of their traditional cousins. Steel Dawn is Shane with kung fu; Omega Doom is A Fistful of Dollars with boring robots. The one major exception to this rule is the Mad Max series.
https://www.fandom.com/articles/best-science-fiction-westerns
George Miller's "Mad Max" series is the definitive sci-fi western franchise. The later films explored a gritty, run-down, post-apocalyptic future where mankind had been reverted to a chaotic Old West state, but the original 1979 film was pivotal in showing how the depletion of infrastructure began. The film chronicles the societal collapse through the eyes of the police officer Max Rockatansky (Mel Gibson), who only gradually becomes "Mad" as the story continues.
https://www.slashfilm.com/661287/the-best-sci-fi-western-movies-ranked/
These films are set in the future, or in an indiscernible point in the past. They mostly operate in a similar way to Western films - gangs, cowboys, revenge, honor, chaos, etc. Western style films set in the 19th century but with sci-fi elements are also included in this category.
Some consider Mad Max as a "Futuristic Western" which is a name some use for both "Space Western" and "Sci-Fi Western" mixed together (as we can see in that previous quote).
https://www.filmaffinity.com/us/movietopic.php?topic=267430&nodoc
Games such as StarCraft, Fallout series, Borderlands series and The Outer Worlds have also popularized the space Western theme. Shows such as Westworld, Farscape, The Mandalorian, The Expanse and Firefly won critical acclaim, further causing a critical reassessment of space Westerns. Movies like The Chronicles of Riddick, Solo: A Star Wars Story and Rogue One: A Star Wars Story also have continued the space Western theme.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Western#History

I could spend hours searching the internet for more examples, but these should be enough. Also, this post is already way bigger than I intended it to be when I started typing it.

But Mad Max is a sci-fi western
I get what you’re saying but I don’t think Mad Max qualifies as sci-fi at all given the fact that it doesn’t feature any science or technology that doesn’t yet exist in our world. I guess it takes place in the “future” but that doesn’t necessarily make it science fiction.

I get what you’re saying but I don’t think Mad Max qualifies as sci-fi at all given the fact that it doesn’t feature any science or technology that doesn’t yet exist in our world. I guess it takes place in the “future” but that doesn’t necessarily make it science fiction.
Just by being (post-)apocalyptic, it becomes sci-fi, since (post-)apoc is a subgenre of Sci-Fi.
Definition:
Apocalyptic and post-apocalyptic fiction is a subgenre of science fiction, science fantasy, dystopia or horror in which the Earth's (or another planet’s) civilization is collapsing or has collapsed.
Mad Max happens in a fictional future Australia, where society is very different from the real world Australia. All while Australia (and maybe the world) is going through an Apocalyptic event. This seems pretty sci-fi to me.

Here's what someone had to say about "Mad Max Fury Road" (better than I could), but it still applies to Mad Max:
Is ‘‘Mad Max: Fury Road’’ a science-fiction film? One movie website contends that it belongs to another category, ‘‘post apocalypse.’’ Many zombie films fit into this genre as well. I think it’s a good label. What do you think?

‘‘Mad Max: Fury Road’’ is absolutely a science-fiction film, insofar as it portrays an extreme but nonmagical extrapolation of actual trends in society, technology, the environment and flame-throwing guitar manufacture. ‘‘Post apocalypse’’ is a subgenre of science fiction, whereas zombie apocalypse is fantasy because returning from the dead is supernatural hooey no matter what sciencey words they put around it.

Yeah, genres are weirdly complicated.

Fallout has always been a Western. Let's just admit that. It's a series about people resettling a harsh frontier, and beginning again. It is not "HAHA bombed out buildings, am I right fellow gamurz?! NUKES YOU CAN LAUNCH FROM A GLORIFIED SLINGSHOT!! FEV! MUTANTS! LOLOLOLOLOLL" and I'm starting to think that anyone who believes that it is, and enjoys this game, is a lobotomite.
Fallout has always been a game about how many nukes you can launch at opposing players while screaming your autistic meltdown into the mic.

> Why do people think Fallout 3 was actually good?

Because it was my first Fallout game, and it generally wasn't like much I'd played before. I think someone approaching Fallout 3 having played F1/2 is generally going to have a poorer opinion of the game compared to someone that is experiencing Fallout for the first time.

A big reason is also a lot of my friends were playing it and we had great times talking about it and doing shared play sessions, some stupid arguments I remember like which game has the better dog, Fallout or Fable (Fallout obvs!).

Since I didn't have a brain when I played fallout 3 I actually liked the idea of washington d.c or a big city bombed the creepy institute robot and the metros but the colour filter oh my god so much green but I don't mind it was interesting except point lookout I have no idea what that was supposed to be.
Now? Games just don't phase me as they used to so no need to bother playing it again.

Since I didn't have a brain when I played fallout 3 I actually liked the idea of washington d.c or a big city bombed the creepy institute robot and the metros but the colour filter oh my god so much green but I don't mind it was interesting except point lookout I have no idea what that was supposed to be.
Now? Games just don't phase me as they used to so no need to bother playing it again.
Don’t worry it doesn’t hold up at all

Back