Why do Super Mutants, Ghouls, and Humans look better in Fallout 1 than Fallout 4?

What do you guys think of the Named Super Mutants in Fallout New Vegas?
Marcus:
Marcus_highres.jpg

Tabitha:
Tabitha.jpg

Neil:
Neil.jpg

Mean Sonofabitch:
Mean_Sonofabitch.jpg

Davidson:
Davison.jpg

Lily:

Lily.jpg

Marcus:
Marcus_highres.jpg

Tabitha:
Tabitha.jpg

Neil:
Neil.jpg

Mean Sonofabitch:
Mean_Sonofabitch.jpg

Davidson:
Davison.jpg

Lily:

Lily.jpg

Wish they were bigger, bulkyer, more bent and had more tumors, pimples, holes, everything that makes them imperfect.

I said this a while back but yeah I miss mutants.

No not big-bulked up ogres and orcs. No, not raptors, no not zombies. MUTANTS.

harold-portrait-2.jpg

This is a mutant dammit!

The Deathclaw is awesome because there is literally nothing like it. Seriously, what the fuck is this thing?!

latest

And what the hell is this thing? This isn't a super mutant. It's an ogre.

latest

Real super mutants look like their skin turned into rock and their teeth have been forced out of their mouths by their fucked up skulls.

Obsidian did the best they could with the Gamebryo Super Mutant models but the Super Mutants still look like plastic and no where near as bulky as they should be.

And ghouls...sigh...

Attachments

• upload_2016-7-28_17-1-22.jpeg
    upload_2016-7-28_17-1-22.jpeg
    7.2 KB · Views: 1,039
Bethesda Game Studios would rather make a fun game instead of a detailed one.
Wrong, detailed world is their motto. At least what they say...
They did their best.
And what the hell is this thing? This isn't a super mutant. It's an ogre.
Fallout 3 is way worse, that should be taken into an account

Fallout 3 is way worse, that should be taken into an account

I think Fallout 3 was better than Fallout 4's level of character detail. Ghouls looked dirtier, we had Harold, mutants looked uglier, and there were some well-written mutant characters in the game.

I think Fallout 3 was better than Fallout 4's level of character detail. Ghouls looked dirtier, we had Harold, mutants looked uglier, and there were some well-written mutant characters in the game.
Ghouls yes, deathclaws questionable, SMs simply NOPE. They aren't ugly, they are grimacing all time body-builders and that's it. And the only written at all SM is Faux, and even his model is terrible.

Well then why didn't they do either one those things?
Fallout 3 is an RPG masterpiece compared to Fallout 4 unfortunately.

Marcus:
Marcus_highres.jpg

Tabitha:
Tabitha.jpg

Neil:
Neil.jpg

Mean Sonofabitch:
Mean_Sonofabitch.jpg

Davidson:
Davison.jpg

Lily:

Lily.jpg
Model wise, while I despise saying this, but Obsidian did the damn well best they could with them. At least they gave them different articals of clothing that fit the character. At least Marcus looks like Marcus. Sure, generally the..... body itself isn't changed, but at least you can still recognize them just by looking at them.

^Huh, I just realized that they gave Marcus a closed mouth. I was also reminded of the constantly-teeth-flaring FO3 mutants.

Now, I'm gonna get pelted for this but, the SM of FO4 were the least of my issues with the game. I thought they looked okay - but that might be because I have allready shown a fascination with the FOT mutants, that also got a lot of criticism

These looked more... mutated, less ogre-ish though, having hugely bulky bodies, with a small head, and a disturbingly human face in the centre of that head
3muties.jpg

Can't find dialog face pics now, but I liked how human they looked, it added a sense of pain to their deformation

Strong's face reminds me of my welding teachers face (albeit an uglier version). The SMs still don't look mutated enough imo. They look human enough That they remind of people I know. That's bad.

The Ghouls in F4 look like what would happen if testicles mutated into a human form.

Seeing them all next to each other makes the time constraints they had in New Vegas a bit more visibly obvious.

While they managed to make something that looks more like Super Mutants should, all of the unique SMs have the same teeth and noses. Most of them have the same jaw/lip setup.

Voice acting and wardrobe went a long way toward making them unique characters but the models themselves are pretty samey.

The Ghouls in F4 look like what would happen if testicles mutated into a human form.
Nah this looks like a human testicle:
2016-07-28-12-40-07-838395869.jpeg

The New deathclaw design while admittedly cool looking is generic as fuck. And have a fatal flaw in the design that bothers me to no end. Its horns are way to far away from it's eyes/face. It leaves this weird barren land on it's head that frankly makes it look stupid upon closer inspection.

Strange because it was possible and even expected to do both once upon a time.

Last edited:
It's hard for me to really invest myself in how the SMs of F4 ought to look when I can't get over the far more basic problem that they shouldn't have been in F4 at all. I can't stand how Bethesda keeps rehashing elements of prior games in the series like this. SMs were a thing that happened once. Once. A particularly demented mind discovered how to create them, he had the idea of using them to overrun the world, he armed them using the weapons at the military base where they were created, etc. All of this wasn't just some fluke that could happen anywhere there was FEV. It was a unique problem to that corner of the world, and while there are still some lingering aftereffects, as we saw in F2 and NV, that situation is largely resolved. It's over. Time for the series to move on. But no, Bethesda had to look at that and go, "Okay, I guess this is the blueprint for the series. SMs are part and parcel of the Fallout series - anywhere we set a game, there needs to be lots of them for the player to kill."

Same thing applies to the player being a vault-dweller who's new to the post-apocalyptic world. It was a thing that happened once, in the first game of the series, and now Bethesda thinks that every game in the series needs to start like that.

It's hard for me to really invest myself in how the SMs of F4 ought to look when I can't get over the far more basic problem that they shouldn't have been in F4 at all. I can't stand how Bethesda keeps rehashing elements of prior games in the series like this. SMs were a thing that happened once. Once. A particularly demented mind discovered how to create them, he had the idea of using them to overrun the world, he armed them using the weapons at the military base where they were created, etc. All of this wasn't just some fluke that could happen anywhere there was FEV. It was a unique problem to that corner of the world, and while there are still some lingering aftereffects, as we saw in F2 and NV, that situation is largely resolved. It's over. Time for the series to move on. But no, Bethesda had to look at that and go, "Okay, I guess this is the blueprint for the series. SMs are part and parcel of the Fallout series - anywhere we set a game, there needs to be lots of them for the player to kill."

Same thing applies to the player being a vault-dweller who's new to the post-apocalyptic world. It was a thing that happened once, in the first game of the series, and now Bethesda thinks that every game in the series needs to start like that.
Well Bethesda's Fallout 4 is basically a theme park ride adaptation of an actual Fallout game much like you see theme park rides based on movies - so they took all the gimmicks from Fallout to make a cartoon caricature of the series.

Which is what Fallout is now - a cheesy, lazy caricature of its former self.

Well Bethesda's Fallout 4 is basically a theme park ride adaptation of an actual Fallout game much like you see theme park rides based on movies - so they took all the gimmicks from Fallout to make a cartoon caricature of the series.

Which is what Fallout is now - a caricature of its former self.
Guys Stop calling these games theme parks. Theme parks are fun. Beth's games are like funhouses. It would've been fun once upon a time but Once you're in you realise you outgrew this shit years ago.

Guys. What's so good in FO4's environmental storytelling? Skeletons are either doing stupid things or glitching inside walls, toys are all over place to shoehorn one thing - GO LOOK FOR YOUR SON ALREADY and manequinns are just... Don't make much sense.

Guys. What's so good in FO4's environmental storytelling? Skeletons are either doing stupid things or glitching inside walls, toys are all over place to shoehorn one thing - GO LOOK FOR YOUR SON ALREADY and manequinns are just... Don't make much sense.
Fo4 didn't have a lot of environmental storytelling. Sights like the vertibird outside Klamath or the glow or the bodies underneath broken hills is environmental storytelling. Posing mannequins and skeletons is what I would call telling a joke.

Back