Why Wasteland 2 will beat Fallout 3?

• Thread starter Thread starter Arin Matthews
  • Start date Start date
The guy made several videos all about that, posted countless comments and never broke character.
I'm not sure if he's really a troll or actually like that.

fred2 said:
Kickstarters are a terrible idea, its a really long term preoder. Which benefits the developers the most. They get payed in advance and enjoy a healthy interest rate, while you get less then usual packed in some vague idea.

There is a reason why the six month rules was invented i.e. don't buy a game in the six month after its release, so you can look at hype free reviews, so that you skip all the release issues and maybe if the game is crap get it on sale...

With Kickstarter, assuming that they finish development at all, at some point in time(likely after their goal date), and by that point you are still interested in this specific title(have time for games at all) and didn't spoiled it by reading too much about it on the forum. You get a game that you may not like the direction the devs took in terms of content, theme, quality, graphic style etc. For all of that you likelly payed more than you'd pay otherwise.

I have to hand it to Fargo, he is a marketing genius, he said exactly what the fans of good ol' RPGs have been creaming to hear for years, but also he played to the superiority complex toward mainstream gaming. OOhhh Fargo shut up and take my money :roll:

No, no they aren't. Kickstarter is a capital-raising tool, where backers are essentially patrons providing capital for the creation of a specific item, in this case a video game. It's not and never will be a pre-order system.

Really, do familiarize yourself with the subject instead of posting ignorant drivel.

For the consumer they are really one and the same, pay and pray(pre-order/backer reward included). Other than that they are just marketing tools, offering nuggets for the excited for publicity purpose, stronger initial sales, securing capital, additional income from bundled crap etc etc.

Though I suspect that you'd want to focus on the backers patronage, I assume that you are deeply involved in one and clearly feel very strongly about it, while me not so much. I'd concede that some kickstarter projects has healthy information flow and people live to feel they are involved and contribute. Though its arguable to what extent I familiar with couple of developers who do just that, with frequent dev dairies, updates and discussions, without kickstart or its pledges. Overall the vast majority of the people who pledge to some kickstarts are not involved in anyway, mostly they just pledged for the same reason we bought shit load of crappy remakes todate, hope.(now that is something you can market :roll: )

With Kickstarter the dev tries to circumvent the usual publisher who normally provides the budget for a game.
Kickstarter often decides if a game gets made or not because without it the developer does not have enough funds to make it.
That's why there are quite a few 'old school' RPGs on Kickstarter, as the devs for these games couldn't get funding from publishers (who viewed those kind of games as obsolete and thus risky) otherwise.

So the difference is that Kickstarter (often) kickstarts (no shit!) a game while pre-orders don't.

I agree, in some cases such as here, Kickstarter is the only option available. That doesn't mean I like it(for all the reasons above), no more than I like DRM in games, even if it is a necessary evil. I suspect that the novelty of Kickstarters will start to ware off soon as more projects hit/pass deadline, falling far of what was promised/expected, because many kickstarters I seen were nothing more than pretty fancies, with no experienced team to bring them to fruition.

luckily for us in case of Wasteland2, I never doubted they would finish Wasteland2(which is why I pledged) hopefully it they can also meet years of built up expectations too. As for Torment, I doubt that after the success of Wasteland 2 Fargo need a kickstarter to secure funds for it, and yet the allure of Kickstarter is very strong high profits and security in advance. Who knows maybe we have to pay more for quality, I just hope that at the end of the road it is quality we will find.

Well due to the fact that Wasteland attempts to have a story, while Bethesda's Fallout 3 simply said: "Here look at the pretty picture I made"(but it's actually just Doom 2 with better visuals).

Back