Will I enjoy Fallout 4?

First, some background.

I played Wasteland (the original) when it came out. I thought it was awesome, but it was the 80s and I was playing with high school friends, so perhaps that colors my memories...

I played Fallout (the original), and to this day I consider it the single greatest computer game of all time.

I played Fallout 2 and thought it was just OK.

I played Fallout 3 and thought it was garbage.

I played Fallout New Vegas and thought it was decent.

I enjoyed the Fallout 4 "Wanderer" trailer. Seems to have the right spirit.

I do not care about bugs as long as they get fixed. I do not mind waiting a year or two to play.

I play these games to BE the character in a story. I expect internal coherence, but not slavish realism. Stuff on the borderline between absurd and sensible is fine as long as it it clever. (So bottle caps for money is kind of cool. Having to manage eating and pooping is boring. Someone asking me to nuke a city for the heck of it is just stupid.)

My favorite build in Fallout was always the "diplosniper". I liked how all of the mandatory quests had a brainy/talky solution, but where that was not available, I was happy to troubleshoot (i.e shoot trouble) from a distance. I liked having followers.

But the quality of the story, and how well my actions get woven into it, is pretty much my #1 concern.

So, my question is: Will I enjoy Fallout 4?

Thanks if you bothered to read this far.

If this is how you feel then Fallout 4 might make you quit playing videogames forever. So no, you won't enjoy it. Stay far away.

This is the Dragon Age 2 of the Fallout series.

First, some background.

I played Wasteland (the original) when it came out. I thought it was awesome, but it was the 80s and I was playing with high school friends, so perhaps that colors my memories...

I played Fallout (the original), and to this day I consider it the single greatest computer game of all time.

I played Fallout 2 and thought it was just OK.

I played Fallout 3 and thought it was garbage.

I played Fallout New Vegas and thought it was decent.

I enjoyed the Fallout 4 "Wanderer" trailer. Seems to have the right spirit.

I do not care about bugs as long as they get fixed. I do not mind waiting a year or two to play.

I play these games to BE the character in a story. I expect internal coherence, but not slavish realism. Stuff on the borderline between absurd and sensible is fine as long as it it clever. (So bottle caps for money is kind of cool. Having to manage eating and pooping is boring. Someone asking me to nuke a city for the heck of it is just stupid.)

My favorite build in Fallout was always the "diplosniper". I liked how all of the mandatory quests had a brainy/talky solution, but where that was not available, I was happy to troubleshoot (i.e shoot trouble) from a distance. I liked having followers.

But the quality of the story, and how well my actions get woven into it, is pretty much my #1 concern.

So, my question is: Will I enjoy Fallout 4?

Thanks if you bothered to read this far.

If this is how you feel then Fallout 4 might make you quit playing videogames forever. So no, you won't enjoy it. Stay far away.

This is the Dragon Age 2 of the Fallout series.

Worse... the Mass Effect 3...

Indeed. I never even played Mass Effect 3 because I could tell after ME 2 that the third game would be really bad.

In my world, Mass Effect 1 was the only game ever made in that series.

Unfortunately, I love Fallout so here I am with about 50 hours in the game despite the fact that all i'm doing is settlement building and repetitive base clearing quests. Super Bunnyhop put it best in his review on Youtube: "If these [quests] aren't procedurally generated, they might as well be."

If you like playing Borderlands by yourself you will LOVE Fallout 4.

Indeed. I never even played Mass Effect 3 because I could tell after ME 2 that the third game would be really bad.

In my world, Mass Effect 1 was the only game ever made in that series.

Unfortunately, I love Fallout so here I am with about 50 hours in the game despite the fact that all i'm doing is settlement building and repetitive base clearing quests. Super Bunnyhop put it best in his review on Youtube: "If these [quests] aren't procedurally generated, they might as well be."

If you like playing Borderlands by yourself you will LOVE Fallout 4.

Yeah Mass Effect was decent, the rest were shit.

Back