10 best games.

alec said:
NFSreloaded said:
Unkillable Cat said:
It went wrong in the 90s with the release of a game that sold so well that marketing "gurus" worldwide took notice. In regards to PC games, it changed the gaming industry, moving the emphasis in game design to graphics over content.

Which game was that, if I may ask? :o

I think he's referring to Doom.

Ah, okay.

1. Fallout 2
2. Fallout 3
3. Counter Strike: Source
4. Max Payne/ Max Payne 2
5. Half Life (not sure which I like most of the series)
6. Oblivion
7. GTA IV
8. Call of Duty 4
9. Morrowind
10. Unreal Tournament (the whole series)

I can't believe people rate Fallout tactics higher than Fallout 3, only fun in tactics is LAN play.

edit: oh shit I totally forgot about mafia.... well it's somewhere in the top 10.

1. Starcraft: Brood War
2. Fallout 1 & 2
3. Heroes of Might and Magic 3
4. Baldurs Gate 2
5. Fallout Tactics
6. Warcraft 2
7. Soul Reaver
8. Duke Nukem 3D
9. Age of Empires 2
10. Anno 1602

Only strategy or role-playing games in my top 10. You may notice a pattern here :)

Fallout I, II
Indeed

Thief II
The second most immersive game I played. The most interesting and convincing technology/magic background I got to experience. Coupled with a greatly designed stealth gameplay that get you silently unfold the plot, hidden in the shadows.

Sudden Strike Forever
A strategy game set in World War II, like there have been a LOT. But, where this game shines, and what got me to spend countless hours playing, is the multiplayer.
Apart from the type of army you control, which are much larger than in *tactical* games like CoH, and the type of battles that tend to form front lines with an intense use of artillery, the central point of interest consist of control points on the map. Once you take and keep them for 5 minutes, you secure a new reinforcements wave. The view on the battlefield is large allowing for big and coordinated maneuvers. I think very few games make you enjoy that much losing a battle, and the always present tension of the overall situation, where you don't know if you're on the path to victory or to defeat.

But what make this game good is really in all the simple things making it a complete *strategical* experience. Broad range of types of units designed for different uses. Ponctual and strategical use of planes. Importance of vision, impact of hills on vision. Laying of mines, limited ammunitions. Snipers, medics, different types of guns. Efficient use of infantry as cannonfodder. Katyushas, Howitzers, long and short range artilleries. Experiencing of units.

Vampire : The Masquerade
The most underrated underplayed role playing game of the industry I know of, for obvious reasons : its flaws. If you were wondering, this one is the most immersive. A proof-of-concept for 1st person RPGs.
The most disorientating and immersive environments in my experience of level-design are contained in this gem. And the deep and credible NPCs introduce you into the plot like in no other game. Get the community patch and PLAY IT !

MechCommander
That is the definition of strategy game with RPG elements done right. No time-consuming base managment : this is a game about tactics.
You control from 3 to 12 Mechs and their "Mechwarriors", or pilots, and your job is to guide them throughout the various missions of the game. Tactical combat, experiencing of your pilots, recuperation of ennemy Mechs, customization of armament, taking and defense of bases are the defining guidelines of the gameplay.
I spent hours and hours on this game. The shitty follow-up made nothing to popularize the franchise. Interestingly enough, this game is now freeware :
http://www.mechcommander.org/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=53&func=showdown&id=1
The only shame is that there is no multiplayer cooperative mode for it.

Arcanum
Flawed, full of dungeon crawling, but so good anyway !
The innovative game mechanics, the charm of the setting, the retro-anachronic-futuristic technology, and the possibility to explore the ruins of an mysterious ancient civilisation, were what made it so good to play.

Planescape Torment
Deus Ex
Dungeon Keeper

Total Annihilation / Spring

This list is subject to change, for I have quite a bit of games on my "To Play" list. :D

1. Fallout
2. Fallout 2
3. Wasteland
4. Ace Attorney series
5. C&C Tiberian Sun
6. Dungeon Keeper
7. Zone of the Enders: The Second Runner
8. Snatcher
9. Sim City series
10. Daggerfall

Honorable mentions:
Super Metroid (my favorite SNES game)
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Metal Storm (most likely my favorite NES game)
Duke Nukem 3D (Atomic Edition is a plus)
Wolfenstein 3D
Gradius series
Tetris
Skyroads
Legend of the Mystical Ninja

Can't think of anything else.

Rufus Luccarelli said:
Honorable mentions:
Super Metroid (my favorite SNES game)
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
Metal Storm (most likely my favorite NES game)
Duke Nukem 3D (Atomic Edition is a plus)
Wolfenstein 3D
Gradius series
Tetris
Skyroads
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
+1 Super Metroid (Metroid is still my favourite series of games).
Though why Wolfenstein and Duke Nukem but no Doom!? :(

Slightly adjusted my personal favorites list. ;)

1. Fallout 1, Fallout 2

2. Europa Universalis III (+ Napoleon's Ambition, In Nomine, Whole World Mod)

3. Hearts of Iron II: Doomsday - Armageddon

4. GTA series

5. Total War series

6. Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne

7. Half-Life 1 (+ Opposing Force, Blue Shift)

8. Blitzkrieg, Sudden Strike series

9. IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946

10. Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction

NFSreloaded said:
8. Blitzkrieg, Sudden Strike series

Did you play online ?
Sudden Strike Forever is probably the strategy game I played the most in multiplayer. Crazy memories of 5v5 on this game.
I miss this kind of games, where you are expected to think *strategically* and not just *tactically*, like in other Warcraft and other Starcrafts... if you see what I mean
Damn I miss it !

Reconite said:

:shrug: I don't know, I didn't play Doom all that much. Played Wolfenstein and Duke 3D (especially Duke 3D) to death back in the day. And I have quite fond memories of fooling around with the Build engine that came with Duke 3D. :mrgreen:

I'll try my hand at my own list, problem is; I have too many favourites, so I'll just put my favourite one from each series (where the rest of the series usually stands).
[spoiler:5445707d4a]Minus Fo3/BoS.[/spoiler:5445707d4a]

1. Metroid Fusion
2. Fallout 2
3. Doom II
4. Resident Evil
5. Half-Life: Opposing Force
6. Starfox 64
7. Blood
8. Duke Nukem 3D
9. GTA: Chinatown Wars
10. Bomberman 64

Honourable Mentions:
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Goldeneye 007
Pokémon Fire Red
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Mario Kart 64
Wolfenstein 3D
Marathon
Strife: Quest for the Sigil
Age of Empires 2
(And a bunch of other shit I forgot to mention).

Arr0nax said:
Did you play online ?
Sudden Strike Forever is probably the strategy game I played the most in multiplayer. Crazy memories of 5v5 on this game.
I miss this kind of games, where you are expected to think *strategically* and not just *tactically*, like in other Warcraft and other Starcrafts... if you see what I mean
Damn I miss it !
I've played almost a year in a German Blitzkrieg clan (me being the only foreigner), but the guy in charge was too busy IRL to play any matches, so the clan was dismantled. Sudden Strike was also awesome, but I never played any online matches with those games. I always downloaded new user-created maps and had a ton of fun with those, especially with the D-Day maps which were immensely chaotic and you really needed to plan out both your amphibious and paratrooper assaults. :)

I didn't really like Sudden Strike III, what about you?

NFSreloaded said:
I've played almost a year in a German Blitzkrieg clan (me being the only foreigner), but the guy in charge was too busy IRL to play any matches, so the clan was dismantled. Sudden Strike was also awesome, but I never played any online matches with those games. I always downloaded new user-created maps and had a ton of fun with those, especially with the D-Day maps which were immensely chaotic and you really needed to plan out both your amphibious and paratrooper assaults. :)

I didn't really like Sudden Strike III, what about you?

I stopped playing the game when Sudden Strike II came out. I really didn't like how it played compared to the previous. Tanks were too fast, new graphics were troubling, and I didn't like the way boats were introduced to the game in terms of gameplay. From a well thought-out strategical game where you get reward from long hauled conflict, it was orientating to a more speedy action-stuffed game with "WOWZ EXPLOZIONZ EVRYWERE !!"

1. fallout
2.fallout 2
3. deus ex
4. arcanum
5. baulder's gate
6. baulders gate 2
7. fallout tactics
8. starcraft
9. counterstrike source
10.jagged alliance 2
---------------------------
11.stalker 1
12. stalker 2
13. diablo
14.diablo 2
15. seige of avalon
16. age of empires 2
17. star wars republic commando
18. super mario world
19. super mario bros 3
20. silent storm

:o couldn't stop at 10

verevoof said:
Reconite said:

:shrug: I don't know, I didn't play Doom all that much. Played Wolfenstein and Duke 3D (especially Duke 3D) to death back in the day. And I have quite fond memories of fooling around with the Build engine that came with Duke 3D. :mrgreen:

I didn't even notice that Doom was missing; I was scanning the list for Deus Ex.

1. Fallout 1
2. STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl
3. Half Life Series
4. Grand Theft Auto Vice City
5. Twisted Metal
6. Fallout 2
7. Star Wars: Knight of the Old Republic
8. Wasteland
9. Postal 2
10. Killing Floor

honorable mentions
Left 4 Dead
Ghostbusters The Video Game
Grand Theft Auto 3
Twisted Metal 2

1. Fallout 1&2 (as a whole)
2. Arcanum
3. Gothic II
4. Counter Strike
5. GTA VC
6 Jedi Knight II
7. Xwing 95
8. Wasteland
9. It came from the desert.
10. Starcraft

EDIT: Ah, forgot about System Shock 2 and XCOM.

1. Commandos (All except "Strike Force")
2. Fallout
3. Fallout 2
4. Evil Genius
5. Dungeon Keeper 2
6. Wizardry 8
7. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl
8. Starship Troopers Terran Ascendancy
9. Jagged Alliance 2 Wildfire
10. Fallout Tactics

1. Katamari Damacy
2. Myth: The Fallen Lords
3. Fallout