Awaken Mod Help Thread (possible spoilers)

• Thread starter Thread starter Awaken Help
  • Start date Start date
Anyone know of any walkthroughs for the mod?
Its been out for a while now, and Im stuck on another mission.
After I sided with the Soldiers of Hope, and destroy the Brotherhood of Steel base, and when I return to the SOH base its under attack by Ghouls for some reason. I kill them, then I talk to some guy and he says I need to find some engine parts to get a train working.
So far I somehow already have 2 parts, a fusion canister and an engine part that looks like a Motion Sensor from F1/2, but I need more.
I looked at each town for about 5 more hours, and just gave up hope and started killing everyone. Help me out someone, I cant find the missing engine parts.

One part you get back in the vault you started at, but you cant go back there until you find the area to deploy the GECK. If you browse through some of the older threds in this (modding) forum I think that there is a few hints in it

Yea thanx qwerty,
I found another thread with tips in it deeper into this forum.
I feel stupid now :oops: sorry about this everyone.

Awaken mod crash

Hello, all! Having a major problem with the Awaken mod. Absolutely fantastic mod, BTW. Highly recommended. Anyway, very minor spoilers follow here so I can describe the problem. Here are the system specs, game version and details of the crash:

P4 2.4 GHz running Windows XP Pro, 512 M memory, Plenty of HDD space, NVidia Geforce 4 MX video, Soundblaster EAX audio, all drivers current.

Game version is 1.32 (I think) - the latest patch from 4/04, english version. Used the patches correctly, have had no problem with the game up to this point.

*spoilers below*

Party composition is main character, Gisbourne, Tess, Suihe, Iguana Killer. Using the hummer for transport now. The problem arises whenever I attempt to enter combat in the Toxic site. I've gone to the site with and without the hummer, same result. I open the doors, get the message from the enemy, the enemies go hostile with red circles under them, then the moment somebody - anybody- throws, shoots or otherwise enters combat, the game crashes to desktop. I've tried a number of different variations. Entered combat before opening door, crash. Used stealth to hide people before opening door, as soon as they're detected, combat, crash.

I just can't figure out what the problem is, but it's a major one which is preventing me from progressing in the game (?finishing the game?) Any help sincerely appreciated. Thanks in advance!

(BTW, any other recruitable characters besides the brahmin? Spoil me!)

Hi!

If you mean the LAST Location (Fortress) you MUST set FOT to
"Continous Turns" (not Turn-based !!!)

Otherwise I cant help....
Anyway I made a small Extension for it - works fine....!

Greetings
Jona

Thanks!

Wow. That took care of the problem. How very strange. Oh, well. Thanks for the help! I would never have thought of that on my own.

Awaken Mod Questions

I am currently playing the awaken mod for fallout 3 and have a couple of questions:

1) What is the Robot Arm found in the Military Base used for?

2) Is there any way of opening the flashing brown gate presumably to the 2nd level of the Vaults of The Undead (there is a termianl there that does nothing if you use it)

3)there is also a gate just like that in Brotherhood of Steel base which i havent found a way to open

The robot arm - I think you give this to the ghoul with the missing arm so he can fix things up

Definate bug with Awaken 1.32 English (seek advice)

Well, as nearly as I can tell, there is a pretty ugly bug in my nice new packaged version of Awaken which causes one to not be able to do any of the BOS missions beyond gaining access to the base.

I think the problem stems from
Code:
awaken/campaigns/missions/core/mystic_06.mis
in that the Paladin Lord has incorrect tags set such that his scripts don't fire. I'm not very experienced with the FT Editor so I'm not sure how to remedy this condition, but I am toying around with it.

If any of you modders could take a little time to look into this and help fix this bug I would really appreciate it. If we can come up with a fix then I would be happy to update the 1.32 installer to 1.32a or something. This mod is simply too cool... it provides a ton of classic fallout style gameplay and it could also serve as a nice basis to build upon and add extra areas and encounters. Its a big wasteland out there just begging to be populated with all manner of radioactive freaks, desperados, and you name it.

the only thing I didnt like about Awaken was the fact that you got nearly no experience for killing anything

the only thing I didnt like about Awaken was the fact that you got nearly no experience for killing anything

If you mean like random encounters and such, personally I find them to be so annoying overall that as soon as I got Iguana-Slayer I pumped up his Outdoorsman to 100% so I could skip them all.

Otherwise, I thought that the mod did a pretty good job of giving you lots of XP at a pretty good rate. I think I was level 12 or 13 when I invaded the BoS HQ. You just had to do keep doing lots of quests, which is more in line with Awaken's RPG roots I suppose.

I found the mod to be pretty easy overall, and I played it in CTB mode mostly.

I'd like to fix this script problem ASAP. I think its probably a translation problem but I'm not sure.

For instance, when you enter the BoS base, I see a "Paladin Lord Bartholomew" but I can't find any place where he actually has a name associated either in the .ent file or in mystic_06.mis. I tried fooling around with the speech nodes and stuff but I'm not sure at which point the game "loads" the level into your save file; i.e. can I just edit mystic_06.mis, enter the base, and get the new stuff, or do I have to "uncover" the location on the map and then enter, or do I have to start a brand new game to test it?

Lot of things I don't know about all of this. I wish I could write in Polish so I could email the Awaken authors for some good technical guidance, or at least report this problem.

sorry I meant that when you kill any one in the game you only got 1 or 2 XP points. The only way to level up was to complete quests. This foreced you to play the game in a very lienar way.

*EDIT*
I forgot that my game always crashes when it starts to play the train movie, so I still havent got around to finishing it yet.

Been awhile since a posting on Awaken so...

Hi

I've got a serious problem with the AWAKEN mod. I can't get out of the underground level in the medical research center.
I enter the area via the ladder (where the guy gets burned up as soon as you enter) and find myself in a cavern with 3 guys siting around a fire. The problem is: there's no exit grid and I can't use the ladder...so how do I get back out ??

Thanks

You have to defeat the junkers to get a rope. Doing that gives you quest xp and lights up the exit area. Yeah its kinda hard, I got screwed by that one myself and had to go restart the game.

It worked out for the better. An Awaken char isn't necessarily the ideal FoT char. Restarting I made a much different char that played a lot better overall. Anyways, run in, snag the detonator, blow up the turrets, and kill the junkers. Thats how you get out.

Wild_qwerty said:
sorry I meant that when you kill any one in the game you only got 1 or 2 XP points. The only way to level up was to complete quests. This foreced you to play the game in a very lienar way.

*EDIT*
I forgot that my game always crashes when it starts to play the train movie, so I still havent got around to finishing it yet.

Well, we have the editors and everything we need to fix all the bugs, except the brainpower. Personally I don't see a problem with making a 1.32a, 1.32b... etc release and fix bugs. I don't know if the Awaken crew has disbanded or what, but according to the FoT Editor license, the mod is fair game and we can modify it to our hearts content if it has been abandoned by the Awaken crew which seems likely.

To level up, go to the NW quadrant and fight super mutants, surely they are worth some xp, if you can beat them. Or better yet, just add stuff to the random encounters file bos.cam and campaign.txt.

I think Awaken is like a great demo which shows how to make a cool FoT mod that can surpass the original. Personally, I'm toying with the idea of making my own FoT mod which follows in Awaken's footsteps, except I don't know if I would use all of the old-skool art and stuff because I like the new graphics just as well I suppose.

I do like the FoT combat engine a lot better than the Fallout engine. Personally, I kind of like the CTB mode of combat, especially for big battles and stuff. The old Fallout engine promoted combat where you all just stand around and shoot each other point blank while the FoT engine really seems to promote using covering fire, hiding behind barrels, etc. In old Fallout, nobody was going to waste action points running behind a tree but in FoT in CTB mode it seems much more appropriate.

The CTB engine does have problems. Ideally, I would prefer an Infinity engine where you can pause, issue commands, and resume battle. Nevertheless, assuming you have your crew in good spots and you are just controlling your PC, then the FoT CTB engine is pretty sweet. Add that you can whap enter and go into turn based combat at any time and its pretty cool.

Using CTB means that agility and APs are a lot less important in FoT and I routinely make chars with an agility of 6 if I'm planning a mostly CTB campaign. IMHO this isn't a bad thing at all, much more realistic and rapid shot and bonus rate of fire are especially lethal in CTB mode.

Later days...

I agree 100% about low XPs from killing things. Random encounters are worthless when you only get a few points per critter.

I'm really annoyed by Iguana Slayer; the dog you can get in Rust Town. The Tactics manual says that dogs gain a perk every two levels. Iguana Slayer gets a perk every four. This mutt is weak enough as he is; a perk every four levels makes him worthless. I tried changing it with the Tactics Editor but no luck. Perhaps this change could be included in a future release.

Critical Miss said:
I agree 100% about low XPs from killing things. Random encounters are worthless when you only get a few points per critter.

I'm really annoyed by Iguana Slayer; the dog you can get in Rust Town. The Tactics manual says that dogs gain a perk every two levels. Iguana Slayer gets a perk every four. This mutt is weak enough as he is; a perk every four levels makes him worthless. I tried changing it with the Tactics Editor but no luck. Perhaps this change could be included in a future release.

Did you notice that Iguana Slayer can use the punch gun? Pretty humerous. I think I eventually gave him the razor claws to use. There's definately something weird about him.

Gisbourne actually turned into a great heavy weapons man for me. I mutated him to gifted, more criticals, and something else, maybe gain perception. He worked out pretty well.

I have Iguana Slayer read Zen Art of Piloting books and he drives the Corvega very well :lol: I then give him the Spiked Knuckles and let him kill things after he pins them under the Corvega :lol: Saves a ton of ammo; especially on the Super Mutants. The only downside is it can take the mutt a while to kill with his sissy attacks.

Thank you for creating the installer and hosting it Dukester.

Back