Fallout 2 mod Better Miria mod as RPU patch

So... I've just booted up the Windows VM which holds my Fo2 install and improved Better Miria mod development tree, and tried to apply burn's suggestion :)

* renamed mods/fo2_better_miria (as extracted from the distribution ZIP file) to mods/z_rpu_fo2_better_miria: Better Miria mod not enabled;
* added a "data" sub-directory mods/z_rpu_fo2_better_miria, and renamed to mods/z_fo2_better_miria_with_data: Better Miria mod not enabled;
* renamed the .dat file which contains the packed module to "z_fo2_rpu_better_miria.dat": Better Miria mod enabled !
* renamed the .dat file which contains the packed module to "rpu_z_better_miria.dat": Better Miria mod enabled !

So indeed, it was a rookie mistake. The path is now clear for the later production of a .dat-packed version which should integrate smoothly with the mods system and work out of the box. I have locally partially documented the setup and build procedure, I'll need to expand that documentation.

Thanks a lot @burn ;)
:jiggy:

I decided to try this out for my latest playthrough, but I'm experiencing a bug where Miria does not remove her armor when instructed to. I never recall experiencing this bug when using Endocore's version, so I thought I'd dig up my old account for this place and bring it up. Thank you for your work on this.

Thanks for the report.

Did the appearance eventually change after talking to Miria ? I'm asking because modded mcmiria.ssl's talk_p_proc() contains a sizable block of code aiming at changing the appearance.

Does this actually work for anyone? I tried putting it in the mods folder, I tried overwriting the existing files, I restarted my game fresh as well .

Perhaps I clicked the wrong download link?

Hey all,

Sorry to revive a somewhat old topic, but I recently got into Fallout 2, have installed a couple mods, and was having some issues with this one. As has been noted earlier in the thread, I did have some issues with installation if I dropped the folder into mods without doing anything, but eventually I just copied all the files over into the data folder and now it works fine, aside from a few remaining issues:

- I've had the same issue as TurmoilTom where Miria won't remove the armor she's wearing when you ask her to. She'll happily replace one set with a better set if instructed in the combat options, but having her take the armor off just results in nothing happening.

- Miria will not level up for me. Initially I forgot to make the .pro files for Miria's level ups read only when I copied the files over, so I thought that was the issue, but I recopied those files properly, started a new game to check (save-edited a bunch of XP so I'd level up enough to trigger Miria leveling up at least once) and nothing happened.

If it's relevant, my current modlist includes RPU v26, FO2Tweaks v12.10, the RPU Fallout Talking Heads mod, and this mod (from the .zip attached to the second post, and which I patched via SSL editing to be compatible with the Talking Heads mod),

Any suggestions or advice on what to do? I have all of the toolkits for FO2, just not the experience to use them easily, so anything to keep me from just banging my head against the wall until something sticks would be great.

Having done a little further testing, it seems like Miria unequips her equipped weapon when asked to take off her armor. Looking at her dialogue responses, she responds with the dialogue pertaining to putting her weapon away (string 1600, used in Node1003 when unequipping weapons) rather than the one about removing armor (string 1009, used in Node1009), and indeed she'll remove her active weapon but leave her armor on.

To avoid triple-posting, I've actually isolated the issue. Decompiling mcmiria.int, on lines 2366 and 2369, as part of the block Procedure Node1008, which read unmodified as:

giq_option(4, 106, 9261, Node1003, 50);

giq_option(4, 106, 9260, Node1003, 50);

which calls Node 1003, i.e. remove weapon, should instead be modified to:

giq_option(4, 106, 9261, Node1009, 50);

giq_option(4, 106, 9260, Node1009, 50);

to properly call Node 1009 to remove armor. I've recompiled, and this works.

Last edited:
Figured out my other issue; Miria was not leveling up because party.txt needed to be in Fallout 2\data\data, not just Fallout 2\data, which is where it ended up when I pasted the Miria mod into the data folder without changing the pathways.

Thanks for the work on the mod, debrouxl.

Having done a little further testing, it seems like Miria unequips her equipped weapon when asked to take off her armor. Looking at her dialogue responses, she responds with the dialogue pertaining to putting her weapon away (string 1600, used in Node1003 when unequipping weapons) rather than the one about removing armor (string 1009, used in Node1009), and indeed she'll remove her active weapon but leave her armor on.

To avoid triple-posting, I've actually isolated the issue. Decompiling mcmiria.int, on lines 2366 and 2369, as part of the block Procedure Node1008, which read unmodified as:

giq_option(4, 106, 9261, Node1003, 50);

giq_option(4, 106, 9260, Node1003, 50);

which calls Node 1003, i.e. remove weapon, should instead be modified to:

giq_option(4, 106, 9261, Node1009, 50);

giq_option(4, 106, 9260, Node1009, 50);

to properly call Node 1009 to remove armor. I've recompiled, and this works.
Maybe you could temporarily put the recompiled thing here, just in case somebody needs it until debrouxl checks it out and possibly updates the mod itself.

Maybe you could temporarily put the recompiled thing here, just in case somebody needs it until debrouxl checks it out and possibly updates the mod itself.

Sure. I compressed into an archive since I guess the plain .int file isn't a supported type, so here it is.

For anyone who might need help with using this, just unzip the download, rename the .int file to mcmiria.int, and drop it wherever your mcmiria.int file is right now (for me, it's Fallout 2/Data/scripts)

Attachments

Debrouxl,
If you resume progress on this mod, I would be interested in collaborating.
  • Though I recognize Endocore was writing Miria as a caricature, I felt some of the lines between {5201} and {5528} in mcMiria.msg were a bit too sexist for my liking. Before I even knew about your project, I had already rewritten a bunch of this dialogue for own playthrough.
  • I was interested in writing more floating text for flavor
    • You can never really have too much of this
  • Unlocking additional dialogue/ floats once you increase her opinion-level
    • But no penalties for players who don't care about Miria's opinion-level
  • Allowing the player to be able to influence (but not decide) GVAR_MIRIA_WANTS via dialogue
    • As in real life it's a combination of both partners desires
  • If the player has changed all the global variables needed to get the best "good guy" New Reno ending (Wrights ruling peacefully), I think the player should not receive the Miria opinion penalty of "-1 point if the pc is a New Reno gangster"
  • I would write any Miria dialogue you need written
  • Some of the "Further Customizations" referenced in https://falloutmods.fandom.com/wiki/Building_a_Better_Miria_Mod#Further_Customizations sound fun but would be would further down the road for me
I can only do very basic scripting but I don't think that would be a problem for the goals listed above. I know Debrouxl hasn't posted in this thread since last year but it appears he still logs in regularly.
-PinkEraser44

Last edited:
Hi,

Well, at the moment, I'm more into playing Fo3, which is a very lengthy endeavour, even worse than Fo2 + RPU, when attempting to reach close to 100% locations and storyline (choosing one side of mutually exclusive choices, as usual). I seldom boot the Windows VM I used for working on this mod, and I haven't produced a clear, reproducible procedure for building and packing up this mod, which doesn't help other people working on the mod...

But yes, 1) I should finish polishing this and making it more usable for other people some day, and 2) I'm not against making Miria's messages or behaviour less sexist :)

What I was most interested in this mod was having an additional NPC able to wield high-end guns in the party - and that works, though Miria's shots aren't as accurate as Cassidy or Vic, and her Gauss Rifle target misses can hurt the NPCs or the PC a fair bit, even with high-end armors.
On the one hand, the fact that Miria can't remove armor because of a bug, probably accurately diagnosed by xman7373, is annoying; on the other hand, per earlier posts, it avoids crashes due to her base peasant persona not having animations for a number of weapon types she can use with the mod... so the status quo isn't that bad, which is part of the reason why I still didn't fix that bug :)

In any case, it's good to see that some people still find this topic.

Last edited:
Hey debrouxl!

Sorry, I didn't realize the mod was basically complete. Some of the technical discussions in this thread went above my head. :-P

I'm glad to hear you are enjoying FO3, it's a fun game.

But if you decide to resume work on this mod, just let me know. I am not quite comfortable starting such a large endevour without a mentor (I haven't made a Fallout 2 mod before) and being able to bolt my relatively simple changes onto a larger project made the whole idea a lot more alluring.

But thanks for checking in and letting me know your intentions. :smile:

Last edited:
Oh and regarding removing Miria's armor, wouldn't the easiest solution be to just send a command to remove her weapon AND then her armor whenever the player asks Miria to remove her armor?

Oh and regarding removing Miria's armor, wouldn't the easiest solution be to just send a command to remove her weapon AND then her armor whenever the player asks Miria to remove her armor?

Not really, as the mod stands (without my changes) the issue of not removing armor is due to an incorrect reference in the script itself. If you wanted to remove both weapon and armor you'd have to modify one of the node functions (either 1003 or 1009) to add the functionality of the other one, which is more involved than changing two numbers on two lines to correctly reference the function needed.

Is this compatible with the v26 of RPU? I downloaded the source code of alpha 3 (I am not entirely sure if thats the correct one as I cannot find any other download link) and follow the install instructions of copying everything over RPU. I also downloaded the Talking Heads mod and used the Miria RPU Patch from it but all my talking heads are now not showing up at all.

Okay so I managed to get it all working but I have another issue now.

Miria isn't leveling up like she is supposed to and is always fleeing in combat despite being set to 'Never Flee'. I don't know if its cause I save edited my save file to have 5 EXP before leveling up and healed with First Aid to level up or if its the mod though. I gained 4 levels via this method and not once has she leveled up to change her tagged skill and such like in the usual Better Miria mod.

Is this compatible with the v26 of RPU? I downloaded the source code of alpha 3 (I am not entirely sure if thats the correct one as I cannot find any other download link) and follow the install instructions of copying everything over RPU. I also downloaded the Talking Heads mod and used the Miria RPU Patch from it but all my talking heads are now not showing up at all.

https://github.com/debrouxl/Fallout2_RPU_Better_Miria

It is a fork of the RPU. To get it working with the newest RPU, you would have to update the branch it is based on via git (which is non-trivial for a non-programmer, you would probably have to do a lot of googling to learn how to work with git ;) ), and then use it.

Afterwards, do this, as mentioned in this very thread to fix some remaining issues:

Sure. I compressed into an archive since I guess the plain .int file isn't a supported type, so here it is.

For anyone who might need help with using this, just unzip the download, rename the .int file to mcmiria.int, and drop it wherever your mcmiria.int file is right now (for me, it's Fallout 2/Data/scripts)

https://www.nma-fallout.com/attachments/mcmiria-fixed-7z.23523/

https://github.com/debrouxl/Fallout2_RPU_Better_Miria

It is a fork of the RPU. To get it working with the newest RPU, you would have to update the branch it is based on via git (which is non-trivial for a non-programmer, you would probably have to do a lot of googling to learn how to work with git ;) ), and then use it.

Afterwards, do this, as mentioned in this very thread to fix some remaining issues:

I managed to get the talking heads to work with RPU and whatnot but my current and major issue is that Miria will not level up and is always fleeing in battle no matter what. I can fully customize her combat behavior, change her armor (and appearance) and give her any weapon (Currently a spear with my current test) but she will constantly flee and will not level up. I remember the original Better Miria mod had her always flee for the most part until she levels up once and gets her Small Guns tag skill but I can't even get her to level up. I've save edited myself to gain levels until I hit 9 and she has not once leveled up.

I made sure the party.text was in Fallout2/data/data and even copied it to Fallout2/data just in case but nothing is really working.

EDIT: I just saw the second quote you posted that included a link for another miria patch and I downloaded and tried it. It doesn't work. It removes her talking head from the Talking Head mod but she still doesn't level up no matter how many levels I gain.

Last edited:
I just wondered something considering something I read on the first post of this. I've been applying these miria fixes and stuff after I've already met her and whatnot so her global variables won't update. Would that be a reason why she isn't leveling up if the fix you referred to before is applied after I already have her as a companion?

Back